Planning on joining an MMA tournament in my country

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mugen Zero, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

hahahaha kay thanks mate (thumbs up) so basically if i lock his forearm though that'll still be okey right?

2. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

no fingers just the arm XD. I can't remember what it's called but it basically requires the practitioner to lock his opponents by locking his elbow. It does however require me to push down his elbow and hold his wrist.

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

wristlocks are allowed.

but its rare to actually pull any aikido stuff off in the ring because off the options and knowledge the opponent has.

4. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

ahh now i can sleep easy. Good night now gents

5. righty

righty Valued Member

Most likely this is the case however I would not even both going for them in an MMA setting. Simply the fact that the wrist and hands are taped up straight with a tight glove over the top makes them an even lower percentage technique than they already are.

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

One year to train for an mma comp? Do-able but you'd have to devote a ton of time to train. Basically you will need a striking component and a grappling and ground component.

Striking arts usally seen in mma:

Boxing
    Muay
    Capoeira

Grappling arts usually seen in mma:

Judo
    BJJ
    Wrestling
    Sambo

Or just train in mma. They'll mix it up for you.

NB: if you think that your aikido is up to scratch in an mma event, then by all means use it.

7. shootodog

When our team went out for our local mma comp, our fighter had an hour of endurance training. An hour of strength and or conditioning. An hour for lessons. An hour for drill and or focused sparring. We also did a lot of weight watching and dieting for our fighter. Day in, day out.

8. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

what endurance training did he do?

9. shootodog

Running mostly. Sled pulls with a tire. Pushing a car. Tire flips. He also swam a lot on his off days.

We did circuits like pads to bags to balls to weaves to sprawls to throws to falls. Repeat.

10. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

umm about the sriking bit, i got taekwondo of wtf and itf that should be okey right shootodog

11. shootodog

Kind of hard to apply when you're all sweaty. Also the handwraps/ tapes sort of add to the stiffness.

12. shootodog

I don't know. It's case to case. Depends how you train. How you will stuff take downs. MMA is a different animal from the usual homogenous fights.

13. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

homogenous?

14. shootodog

Tkd vs tkd. Karate vs karate. Homogenous.

15. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

ahh okey, well actually trying to see if i can combine the strengths of the two XD. sounds like fiction thouh atm but i'm sure i'll get there (determined) thanks for the tips Shootodog (thumbs up)

16. shootodog

I suggest trying to use your aikido against a judoka or a wrestler to assess where you are in grappling.

I also would suggest sparring with an mma guy so that you can assess how you are overall in the game. From there you can gauge what you need to work on.

Also, this is something that cannot ge done alone. You need a team of people to back you up in terms of coaching you, training you and monitoring you.

17. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If you go into an MMA tournament where your only striking training is TKD, you'll be lucky not to get seriously hurt within the first 30 seconds.

If you're only grappling experience is a small amount of aikido, you have no grappling experience.

You're going to get yourself hurt if you don't start training appropriately.

18. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

then are you recommending me to take muay thai or kickboxing?

19. shootodog

Muay would help.

20. shootodog

What weight division are you entering? Who will corner you? Who will coach you? Do you have a good cut-man? What are the rules? Have you ever watched an mma comp?