Planche pushup

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Prophet, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Allright, my new goal is to be able to do 5+ planche pushups.

...well 1st my goal is to be able to do one :(

For those who dont know what they are, they're essentially a pushup, but with your feet off the ground, such that only your hands are touching the ground.

Do any of you have any experience with trying to learn them? Can anyone do them? Come close even?

I would love to be able to do them for various showoff reasons :p

Tips?

2. Maverick

Maverick New Member

I can get in the full position, but can't do a pushup yet. You've probably noticed but the focus is balance, you may have the strength to do it but not enough coordination to get into the position. Practise makes perfect as always, just keep trying (without overtraining, it's a pretty stressful position) and you should be able to nail it sooner or later if you have a good strength to weight ratio.

3. oneforall

oneforall New Member

You need strong shoulder,
    so do pushups with fingers pointing toward the toes and elbows tocked in for that.
    YOu need strong back
    so do crazy hyper extensions for that.

4. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Yeah, im just practicing balancing right now. I cant really fully extend my legs, my core is too weak. I think my lower back is lagging behind, which makes sense because I've only recently started deadlifting *gasp*

It is tricky to balance tho

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL.. ok... you may have seen this before, but check this out:

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/breakdance.wmv

the guy does a several planche pushups from the fingertips and then some.:D

Pretty friggin strong and agile! Who ever said muscular guy weren't strong and agile... and cooridnated. This blows that myth out of the water!:eek:

6. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

I tried following this method for a bit:
    http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?rm=mode3&articleid=229

I could already do frog stands no problem, then managed to hold the tuck planche position for one minute, was about to move onto the press up part of it......and then got injured. :( By the time I recovered I'd lost alot of my gains and just didn't have the heart to start over again, as the whole process had taken a few months. Good luck with it, just getting there is a great exercise for building your core.

7. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

HAHA, guess what made me wanna do planche pushups in the 1st place :D:D:D

8. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Looks great, thanks.

9. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

I can do an elbow lever, which looks like a planche...but isnt'..:D Seriously, try getting an elbow lever, and ever so slightly, start pushing and eventually you'll be able to get into a planche, then start lowering yourself (negatives) and voila, you'll have planche pushups (I hope...).

10. RRForeverZ

RRForeverZ Valued Member

that is my inspiration to start training again. That guy is amazing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2005
  11. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Keep in mind that not everybody can do plache pushups even with years of practice. You have to have the right build. Huge upper body with little mass in lower body.

12. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Lol, it would be funny seeing a group of bicep boys doing planche pushups with ease at the gym.

13. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

I dunno man, plache pushups requires some SERIOUS shoulder and tricep strength

14. Maverick

Maverick New Member

You don't have to tell me, I can't even do a proper negative.

On the topic of insane core strength, anyone watch a program earlier this year or last year called Jump Britain? Had this French black guy on it, who was the inventor of parkour (running and jumping over scenery), he did this unbelievable thing near the end of the show. He strolled up to a waist-height railing, put his hands on it, and just lifted his legs backwards in the air and went smoothly into a handstand on the railing. A similiar kind of movement to a planche pressup, and insane.

15. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Another tricky one is where you grab a sign post or something along those lines, and extend your whole body as if you were a flag. I can almost do that one.

16. GhostOfYourMind

Never tried that. But the taller you are, the harder it must be....(silly leverage...lol)

17. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

If that vid is the one of the one i think it is with the black guy, i read he has a disease where your legs are alot shorter compared to your torso.

18. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

HAHA are you serious? That would be funny, but I dont know if thats true, he looks normal.

19. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

Yep i read it somewhere, don't know if it's true or not i'll google around now and see if i can find a source

20. GhostOfYourMind

He looks pretty normal, but mmmmk. I know he's been breakdancing for a WHILE, so he's probably developed tons of strength over such a decent period of time.