Places to train Kali in the Manila area

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Brunstick, Apr 20, 2005.

1. shootodog

shootodog restless native

that's right! use the *ehem* "freight forwarders".

2. Brunstick

Brunstick (^_^) I need a girlfriend

"freight forwarders?"

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

ah, er, um...**twiddles thumbs** the guys my friend uses to sell his blades in the u.s.

4. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

those are sweeeet..:)

* palms starting to sweat

5. Brunstick

i want 2 of each sharp object!!! a bit pricey though IMHO.

-nico-

6. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Hello Morning Star,
    I WISH that before you close the door, you will hear me out even if for the last time. I regret that you perceived my message as coated with sarcasm. I have actually tried to be as courteous and non-aggressive as possible. I know I posed a lot of questions, but I thought the idea of posting in the internet was so we could exchange, discuss and even argue ideas based on their merit and not based on the personalities behind them.

I read Crucible's message AFTER I made the letter. I would not have asked you to reveal yourself had I read it earlier. Please re-read my last message and note that I wrote that if you did not want to write about yourself, I would understand. And the letter also was not meant for you alone, but also to Spunjer. I was away from the computer a couple of days, but I guess I was also 2 days too late.

Allow me to explain myself one last time. You are absolutely right. I need to do research - lots of research - before I can claim to really know anything about Moro weapons. I know there is a lot of pride, meaning and symbolism attached to the forging of the blades. I appreciate the culture, history and religous values attached to the process. I believe the same meticulous process is applied in developing the eventual owner of a Moro blade. An excellent warrior deserves an excellent blade. No bladesmith would want to produce an inferior weapon; it will be a reflection of himself.

But how many people truly deserve an outstanding blade? It think it is an insult if such a blade would fall into the hands of an inferior warrior and an undeserving person. I admit my skills are inferior; maybe I am better off practising with a lesser weapon until such time i may deserve to own a good blade?

I don't know why other people are interested in copies. Maybe they are like me. Maybe they want to use a replica in demonstrations instead of a real blade. Maybe they like the looks so they buy tourist kinds of blade; definitely an eyesore, but they are on a budget. Some may be just interested to preserve the blade tradition in their own way. Some may try to be fake masters but soon find out that an incompetent fighter armed with a pathetic weapon will soon be exposed the hard way.

I think another reason is that times are changing. There are less and less masters who are available to teach the art or who are interested in passing the art. The number of traditional Filipino masters is declining. When they vanish into oblivion, nobody may remember them or their life, their passions and beliefs... History will be re-written by those who didn't appreciate or were given the chance to appreciate them.

Sir, I ask you to reconsider your decision. This is not for me. This is for your people, the generations after, and for the people who have helped you. Do not allow one anonymous man, a man you consider sarcastic and rude, to deprive all of them a valuable heritage. Regard me as insignificant.

Salaam,
    RedBagani

7. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

errr... pass the popcorn please...

8. Brunstick

yep! and pass the coca-cola while you're at it.

-nico-

9. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Hello Brunstick,

Sorry, I hijacked your thread. Let me make up for it by giving my 2-cents worth of information. By seeking a 'Kali' school, as opposed to eskrima/arnis, I think you are looking for a blade-oriented art. Diego posted some good venues for training. Let me add that a blade-oriented school is also one that is more traditional in outlook. It teaches not only physical techniques but also promotes respect for the blade and what it represents.

If one looks for Kali techniques simply to be the baddest dude on the planet, I highly recommend a very good training school near Alabang. It is called the Muntinlupa National Penitentiary. A friend of mine who works there said that the residents practiced striking a tree near the yard and finally toppled it. These are tough dudes. After just a few months, you graduate with a tough mindset, killer techniques that are hard to anticipate and defend against, and prison tattoes to impress your friends. A drawback to this training program is that you may feel sore in the --s for some time :D Hehehe

10. Brunstick

RedBagani,

don't worry about hijacking the thread. the posts were very entertaining and was very fun to read and i liked the posts (gee, am i being redundant or what!? :p) maybe one of the mods can move the unrelated posts to a new thread?

yes, i am actually looking for a blade oriented stuff, since i like "sharp pointy stabby thingies" as i stated in my previous posts. :p knives, swords, and the like are so fun!

and regarding muntinlupa national cemetery, i know all about munti bro. wait, did i say cemetery? i meant penitentiary! honest i did!

and about me being sore? oh good god, i don't doubt it! since i am a pretty piece of meat! (gee, do i have self-confidence or what? hahahaha! :D )

take care and always have fun!

-nico-

11. littlebadboy

oh... the dude wants to study blades... did you know that Lightning Scientific Arnis is actually a sword & dagger oriented style (Academia Tercia Cerrada Cadenilla y Espada y Daga)? Slice slice slice!

http://fma.rtrinidad.com/files/lionheart-ybanez.wmv

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  12. Brunstick

i didn't know that. cool!

slice slice stab slice! hahahaha!

-nico-

13. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

On a more serious note. About training at the Muntinlupa prison... My friend Mel works there as an officer and public relations man. Knowing my interest in the martial arts, he invited me to check out the Muntinlupa martial arts club inside the prison. The members are not prisoners but employees. I haven't gone there and so I can't really recommend the club. I simply don't know how good they are but from what I heard they are good. They have to be. The government has recruited former champions in judo, karate, arnis and other styles. These guys are not really interested in styles, but only in what works for them. They do a lot of restraining, controlling, disarming techniques but they also learn more destructive techniques. The law requires that they train more on subduing and neutralizing criminals rather than outright liquidation. Because the government is always lacking in budget, prisoners are sometimes transported using the public transportation system. Of course, this is done very covertly, and only with petty, non-violent and low-risk criminals. The next time you see a burly man holding hands intimately with another guy on the bus, don't assume that they have something kinky on their minds. If you are interested, maybe I can set up a meeting for you. With my friend Mel, I mean.

14. Brunstick

i actually thought that there was a martial arts club for prisoners. now that wouldn't be too smart, would it? hahaha! stupid me!

thank you for clearing that up! i would not want a meeting with the aforementioned men holding hands. hahahahahahahahaha! :p

is the club inside the prison? i wouldn't want to be there when a riot breaks out. hey, sounds interesting! i will definitely have to check that out!

-nico-

15. reydominguez

reydominguez Valued Member

I could help you

1.3 Inviting outside Contact:
    "Inviting" is termed as a post where you invite other members to contact you to find out more information, rather than post it in the forum. This is not allowed and any posts with emails or invitations to contact for more information will either be edited or deleted entirely.

1.4 Posting Personal Contact Information (Address/ Phone Number):
    Members may not post personal contact information such as home address, work address, home telephone number, work telephone number, email address etc., in the public forums.
    1.4.1 ANYONE, including guests to MAP, can read the public forums - this policy is in place for YOUR safety and protection.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2005
  16. Brunstick

actually, i've been in manila for a month already. :) thanks for the welcome. i really don't check my email often here in manila, since i don't have a working pc. pm me your cellphone number so that we can meet up. :)

take care,

-nico-

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2005
  17. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

can't believe your still awake at nearly 4 am, after last night's horrible sets of jokes :eek: ! another round??? the burger still needs some discussion:D

18. littlebadboy

why wasn't i invited to this burger discussions?

19. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

What burger discussions?

Oh, by the way, do you guys know how burgers are made? You beat the meat till it becomes limp. It makes it easier to insert between two slices of bread.

20. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

how i wished you were with us bro... we weren't able to give you a call that time:eek: :bang:
    ... and probably, that naughty-red-dressed-sexy-chick would not have mistaken as daters :cry: ... hehe.. (luckily, i'm the one with shorter hair, hehe..ehem...ehem.. :love: )

oh, it's nico's story about this certain burger... i'll leave the storytelling part to him :D .