Pistol

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Kurtka Jerker, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Well, I'm finally going to quit putting off getting a pistol. I've got a CZ Makarov coming in saturday and while I do have opportunity to resistance train with everyone from kids all the way up to career soldiers, I don't have much basic experience with combative application of a pistol. I know the basic safety rules and will be attending a class anyway, but if anyone could point me towards some books or videos on drills for drawing, carrying, reloads, unjamming, etc., that'd be awesome. I'm not looking to put together a whole program or anything, just second opinions on and reasoning for methods I've come into contact with and what I'll be learning in class.

2. embra

embra Valued Member

At close range pistol disarms are somewhat less risky than knife disarms - because its reasonably mechanical to simultaneously get a hold of the weapon, turn it away from you and evade.

Thats my 2pence worth.

3. Kurtka Jerker

What?

Actually I'm talking more along the lines of fundamental considerations when drawing, reloading, carrying etc. I can't really think of a guy who, upon demonstrating gun disarms, I'd take seriously. Hell, I'm skeptical of the Pekiti Tirsia stuff and I know Gaje's guys have been in it as a matter of profession.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I think he's saying that a pistol doesn't have a sharp edge that can cut you if you try to grab it, not really sure what you're supposed to do about the large lump of metal that comes out of the end to put a hole in you though.

Also not entirely sure why pistol defenses have come up all of a sudden, but there you go.

I can't really help I'm afraid - I only ever fired pistols on a range. Most of my firearms experience is from bolt-action rifles, which aren't exactly high maintenance.

5. embra

embra Valued Member

At close range its much more possible than knife disarm - but still risky. This is assuming a static "give me your wallet" type scenario. If he is moving around you a bit, tapping your face and so on not so easy. Also you can easily break the trigger finger by snapping the gun out and away from you back towards him.

Do not want to try either for real.

In the UK guns are strictly banned anyway.

6. Kurtka Jerker

Not exactly the topic but it's interesting so I'll play.
    I've gotta disagree. Laying hands on and controlling someone is WAY easier when that person is coming to you. All the guy with the pistol has to do is create a bit of space, even without breaking whatever clinch or grips you've managed to get before he lights you up, and you're boned.

Anyway, the "gimme your stuff" at arm's reach scenario is a bit contrived. The "drop your wallet and leave" or "toss me your watch" scenario is a little more what I'd expect to encounter.

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

You will want to do some looking into the works of Massad Ayoob and Jeff Cooper. Two very prolific handgun instructors/writer. They have a massive body of work between the two of them. Pretty much nothing they don't cover.

I have several other very specific titles that I'll recommend. But I'll have to dig into a hard drive in a bit.

8. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

A pistol disarm might actually work, simply because no-one expects you to actually try it. But if they're asking for your wallet, give it to them.

9. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'Ratty',

I'm jealous... Living in England handguns are fundamentally a no-no for law abiding people.

Suggest you do a 'Google' on "Kingsport, TN firearms training" (Assuming you are still in that area) and get yourself to a good facility that teaches the practical use of firearms.

10. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Join your local shooting club - you won't be able to own a pistol but you can at least get to fire them.

11. Dikzzz

Dikzzz Valued Member

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

13. Osu,

At first I thought you were doing one legged squats :D
    My favorite pistol is the 9mm standard MC issue (not sure they still use it?), for its balance, versatility and large capacity standard magazine.

Osu!

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Jeff Cooper is good, and Fairbairn Sykes "Shooting to live" is an oldie but a goodie

I also have some "in house" stuff I might be able to dig out and send you...I'll have to check first to see if that is OK

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

The quality stinks but this video by Massad Ayoob is still top notch. Most of it will be along the lines of what you'd be interested in coming from a SD standpoint.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduc...Videos & Software-_-PriceCompListing-_-739164

From there, Jeff Cooper is a great choice as is Kelly McCann. I've heard Magpul Dynamic's "Art of the Dynamic Handgun" is great too, though I haven't seen or picked it up yet so take that with a grain of salt.

16. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

Anything by Andy Stanford is excellent. He has two DVD's that you can order off amazon.com that are called "Fighting With Firearms." Andy is a black belt martial artist as well as an established combat shooter in pistol, rifle and shotgun. Very good for the basics of learning how to use a firearm in personal defense.

17. Murdog

Murdog Valued Member

Hey there, Ratty! Congrats on your new firearm! I had taken the HCP course around this time last year. There is a TON of training vids on conceal carry, drawing, loading/reloading (such as speedloading for revolver and semi-auto). Just remember the safety rules:

1. Treat every firearm as if it was loaded ALWAYS!
    2. NEVER point the muzzle at anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. ALWAYS keep the weapon on safe and finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.

And another one, that can really bite you in the tail if you're not careful:

Be sure of the status of your weapon:

Condition 1: Magazine inserted; round in the chamber; hammer cocked; weapon on safe.

Condition 2: Magazine inserted; round in chamber; Hammer down; weapon on safe.

Condition 3: Magazine inserted; chamber empty; hammer down; weapon on safe.

Condition 4: Magazine well empty; chamber empty; hammer down; weapon on safe.

These are just a few of the things you will be learning in the handgun safety course. Have fun with it. Then, you go to the range...WOO HOO!:banana:

Just remember, after your safety course, train, train train!!! Then train somemore!!

18. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

He won't be able to fire them. Hanguns/pistols are illegal to own or use in the UK. Even the olympic pistol team has to go abroad to train

19. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

There is pistol shooting in the UK. If I remember right though its only single shot muzzle loaders so it'd probably be much less fun than a firing range in the States but he could do pistol shooting over here.

20. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

Try watching Equilibrium.