Pistol Squats..Left is Stronger?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Orangeseger, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Orangeseger

Orangeseger YouTube =/= Training

I started doing pistol squats, (not an easy exercise for me,) after I saw the term used about a million times on MAP and heard how great they are.

What I noticed is for some odd reason I have both better balance and more strength on my left leg. Basically, I can do more pistols with better form with my left than my right.

I know I'm right handed, but is it possible I could be left leg dominant?

Either way, I love pistols! :woo: :woo: :woo:

2. Trick Nasty

Trick Nasty space monkey

Yeah, its possible. I'm right handed, but shoot left handed because I'm left eye dominant.

3. fighting13

fighting13 Valued Member

yeah, definitely a possibility. im right handed and fight in a righty stance(right foot back) but i can kick harder, faster, and with more range of motion with my left leg than my right.

4. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Im strongest in my right arm and my left leg. I think its because the opposite latt is used do stabilize the spine to the leg you are squating with. So maybe dumbell rows focusing on your weaker arm would make the pistols easier on the weaker leg.

What is the determining factor for a pistol being glute ham or quad dominant?

5. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

When I very first tried pistols, I could rep out a solid 10 or so with my left, but would fall over on my 2nd or 3rd on my right :p. I blame skateboarding.

6. Orangeseger

Orangeseger YouTube =/= Training

Basically I'll do anything to increase my vertical jump height. I guess once I can do many pistol reps, I could possibly switch to weighted ones...

For now I'm going to work on evening up the strength and balance of my two legs.

7. Bassmonkey

Bassmonkey Formerly Cobalt60

Erm......whats a pistol squat?

8. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

A bodyweight squat on one leg with the other leg out in front of you:

[​IMG]

That's at the bottom of the movement.

9. Bassmonkey

Bassmonkey Formerly Cobalt60

Ah those!

OH goodie, how i look forward to adding those to my regime. ha ha ha ha

Thanks

10. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Yes it is possible to be right handed and left leg dominant. I am. Just keep doing pistols. When your right leg is as strong as your left do more reps or weight but don't develop diaganol.

11. tetsu ryu

tetsu ryu Death is always a option!

I can shoot with either arm but I prefer lefty even though I write right handed.. After you complete the workout with both legs, you should try standing on one foot with the leg that is weakest to gain ballance and try practicing slow reps with your weak leg to gain balance as well. Good luck!

12. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

wat can i do to build up to pistols? i can't do them and i wanna do it, would i just do negatives and gradually build up to em? i don't have the balance.

13. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Single leg romanian deadlifts would help.

14. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Hold onto something whilst you do them - like an open door or something.