"Piper" Knife fighting

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by khafra, Nov 13, 2002.

1. khafra

khafra New Member

I followed that link from the SA JJ forum and read about Piper, the South African prison gang knife fighting system. It sounds just as scary when you read more about it. Somebody who knows more about it, tell all! Where can we learn, if not this system, systems like it, integrated from "official" styles and used and refined every day in environments more rule-free than Ultimate Fighting?
    I mean, I'm not encouraging prison violence here, but as long as it exists I might as well profit from it.

2. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

I should think

Its just basic knife techniques, defences and footwork - more probable its some fairly intimidating people scaring the crap out of people then stabbing them when they are bricking it!

I doubt its a real system just a fairly hard intimidating group of people in a prision stabbing people!

My 2 pence worth

SONSHU

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

That 2 pence works for me :D

4. hyrid

hyrid New Member

piper
    who want's some?

5. stump

stump Supersub

Why thank you...I'll have two please!

6. shadow joe

shadow joe seeker of truth

that's easy, just go to africa and get sent to prison where they "train" this style... i hear you get free room and board and lots of varied "sparring" partners....

what an opportunity :D

7. Rob_InDaUk

Rob_InDaUk Grandmaster Sandwich

Yeah, but I hear that the training is quite tough. Apparently, people to practice in this style are very highly prone to injuries. It must be the intense training they put in.

8. hyrid

hyrid New Member

hi. me again.
    i guess you could go to prison, but why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free.(and eliminate the chance of getting rushed by a group of sexually depraved, hardened criminals)
    piper is alive and we'll in the gutters of the cape flats in south africa and get used on people every day on the streets. it's a culture, a culture that so - called decent society close their eyes to because, and i quote,"that is a gangster behavior". and i won't lie, it is. it's what the criminals use to meet their ends. coventional martial arts turn their backs on it because they think they are superior. These are the people that forget one of the cardinal rules of combat. KNOW YOU'RE ENEMY. and in the streets where i come from piper is the enemy. it's in my blood and in the blood of thousands of others.like i said, it's a culture, it's used every day and it's aggressive, dangerous, the training is underground,and it's deadly. more importantly it's the way innocent people are assaulted daily and sometimes fataly.
    we train piper weekly and it's hardcore and realistic utilising robust wooden knives so they don't break and lot's of live blade sparring. injuries are not uncommon. that was just touching the surface of what piper is about. it's a lot darker that that and get's deeper
    if anyone wants to know more i'll be glad to help. mail me
    jasonwilliams@telkomsa.net

9. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

How do you spar with a live blade and not get dead?

10. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Very carefully :D

11. DeLamar.J

DeLamar.J Banned Banned

Dont waste your time learning to knife fight, you will die or go to jail. No one ever wins a knife fight.

12. Tireces

Tireces New Member

How can this "piper" knife fighting style be "in your blood"? And I always say that if you wanna train a weapon to carry around for realistic self defense, just get a lightweight handgun. True, at a certain range, the knife wielder has the advantage...unless the gunman is a quick enough draw, which, can be trained. So why not train with a light handgun? Better to blow away some thug coming at you with a knife than to try and enter his domain.

13. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

Hand guns can be hard to carry all the time especially with the security measures tightening all over the world. And is illegal to carry in some countries and may be reserved for the rich in third world countries. Knives can be translated to pens, screwdrivers, pencils, utencils that may present themselves easily in public. when it comes to facing weapons fighters, well the attitude is, "weapons are meant to be felt not seen"..so to say I would just blow them away is well, .. too simplistic? As is the common response that Law Enforcement Officers would say regarding edged weapons.. Knives don't need ammunition. Easily hits it's intended target unlike guns, don't jam and can be fashioned from almost anything around you.
    Just my two centavos...worth nothing compared to your pences.
    cheers!

14. reel deel

reel deel New Member

special and elite forces spar with live blades, I still have the cuts to prove it

15. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

Whoa! Hardcore. Let's see some photos!

16. reel deel

reel deel New Member

To add it might be seen as ok in the States to run around with guns and shoot large holes in each other.
    Unfortunately the law rather frowns upon here in the UK.
    Most Martial artists are Blaise when it comes to knife threat.
    Truth be told most soldiers would rather face a gun than a skilled knife fighter any day.
    I reccomend anyone interested in knife fighting or defending against it read Marc the Animal Macyoungs books on the subject there is another called put em down take em out Knife fighting techniques from Folsom prison, the writers names escaps me, and there kill or be killed by Col Rex Appleby and online I will put the address here when I find it Knife fighting by captain william Ewart Fairbairn.
    All the 'Art' or 'Ways' will not save your life whenit hits the fan, Combatatives will I suggest you research these subject fully.

17. reel deel

reel deel New Member

I will get some photos done of my knife fighting scars (not all done in practice) not all on my hands, and I will get my freind to help me post them (Don't worry no obsene pictures, but if it gets people to take knives seriously I am willing to do this

18. medi

Awesome.

19. reel deel

reel deel New Member

Well we did the photos, but you can't see the damned scars, must be some way of lighting them so they show, any suggestions anybody?

20. medi

Nothing that wouldn't breach the TOS