Pimp my gi

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by MR G3, Mar 6, 2007.

1. MR G3

MR G3 Valued Member

Does anyone know how BJJ evolved into wearing non-white plain gi's covered in patches and badges?

I've heard some say that poor students in brazil could afford new gis when they were damaged so had to sew patches into any hole but I'm not sure if this is true.

In Helio Gracie's fight with Kimura he's wearing a plain white gi and in the early UFC's Royce Gracie is in a plain white gi so the 'pimp my gi' factor wasn't always about.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Good question.
    To me it's gets a bit silly. Everyone rolling around like a fricken billboard. :bang:

One or two fine... but when their is more patch than gi showing...
    I've noticed the Japanese NOT very keen on this sort of thing. :D

3. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

Even some BJJ instructers don't like it, some Gracies insist their students only wear plain white gis.

4. gornex

gornex Valued Member

I like the look of the plain more one anyway.

5. slipthejab

yeah I say nude BJJ will be big....

some day.

6. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

I actually think the patches distinguish the art in some ways. I like the patches. It's flashy and gaudy and I guess just suits my American desire to kitsch out everything.

7. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

slip.. with that thread yesterday, your love of thai lady boys, and advocating nude bjj....
    one might wonder about you ;)

8. RandomTriangle

RandomTriangle Valued Member

i dunno... if someone wants to pay me to wear their patch...

I don't really notice it to be honest.

9. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Just don't be a patch whore :p

10. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

dude. The more the better! While my Gameness Platinum has plenty of patches on it from the factory, I wear an HCK that's just BEGGING for some bling!

11. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

LMAO....Bling-Bling!!

12. slipthejab

hmmm that thread from yesterday still on your mind eh? :p

13. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

That's just a phase. You'll stop wondering before too long.

14. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I think it might be part of the tendency in Brazilian culture to put the national flag on everything.

15. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

I'm not too keen on the 'loads of patches' thing, particularly as a beginner. It would seem the main reason people get em is that they like the way it looks and enjoy displaying certain brands: to each their own, I guess.

I could understand it in terms of sponsorship, but that would mainly be the professionals (in that post I just linked, Yrkoon9 mentions that there are apparently places that you can get discounts if you've got certain patches). Another reason would be representing your team/club, though that would only require one patch. Finally, interesting point Yrkoon9 (yeah, I quote this guy a lot: consistently one of the best BJJ posters on the net) mentioned in one of his posts: