Picking the proper weapon size.

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by imperial_guardz, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

So you want that bit bold when I do the next version, which may turn into the final version hint?

Will do :)

2. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

hopefully that will be the last change, addition whatever I have to make......I lvoe findig out I did something wrong it makes feel allwarmand fuzzy.....

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Version 0.6 with Cudgel's request for the bit putting in bold now done.

I think I will aim to get this done before the end of tomorrow (stickied), so you have 36 hours to rip that bit to shreads :)

4. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I have put it up as a sticky here: http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25374.

If anyone has any problems with it, or things they want to add or change, give me a yell in this thread and I will edit it :)

As for posts in the sticky: I will leave it open unless you all want it locked. Any posts asking for more info about any of the weapons mentioned will be split from the thread.

Merry Christmas all :)

5. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

A JO is measured to the armpit (like your 'carry staff'), not the solar plexus! Do you mean the short 'HANBO' staff? A jo is usually supplied at around 48 inches or slightly less if metric.

An addition:
    Kubotan - palm width plus an inch seems best. Usually sold as 6 inches.:)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  6. K_Coffin

K_Coffin New Member

I've heard both for Jo. Personally, I use armpit.

And might I suggest a more proper picture of a Katana? The provided one is definitely a cheap copy, with weird fittings and a weird blade. I can try to hunt up a more appropriate one if you'd like.

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

K_Coffin> please, its just from a google image search. If you can find me a better pic, please do :)

I will change to say "Some styles use the arm-pit as a guide" on the Jo bit, and add the kobutan bit too.

When that is done, I will move these back to the original discussion thread :)

8. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Thanks. I'm going on the use of these terms in aikido. A bo is also around 6feet when sold.:)

9. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

The posts by kiaiki, K_Coffin and myself above have been merged from the sticky thread, with a link to this thread at the bottom.

The sticky is now locked.

10. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Just updated with some info on nunchaku after a request in another thread.

11. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Gaskell...

Dunno what this is supposed to be...
    [​IMG]
    ...But I can assure you is isn't a Japanese sword.

Perhaps you might like to use this image of mine...

[​IMG]

12. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Dave - it will be a picture somebody suggested from this thread (not passing the blame)

I like that picture. Anyone else think the pic needs to be changed?

24 hours to speak on pic change. If theres no replies, I will go with my own choice :)

EDIT: I just looked up, and saw it was from Google Images, so it was me :eek:

Anyone else think the pic should be changed?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  13. Dave Humm

Hi Gaskell...

I have no issues if you choose not to use the image I posted, what you might bear in mind however; is that your offering advice on the 'correct' way to measure the appropriate length for one's Japanese sword but the image you provide in reference isn't either a Japanese sword or of Japanese design.

It kind of dilutes the quality of the advice your providing.

Regards as always

Dave

14. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

No problems about it Dave :)

Thats why I left this thread open, so we can make any changes/additions and pool our knowledge :)

15. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

that "thing" is a latex coated foam "sword"

16. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Consider it changed then :)

I know I said 24 hours, but I have done it now anyway

17. Dave Humm

If it matters...

Information about the three Swords in the image a couple of posts up.

1st on the left - Iaito, Zink-Alloy, Higo Bo-hi 2.25 Shaku 800gm
    Middle - Shinken, Forged/Folded. Jidai, Hi-iri 2.45 Shaku 950gm
    Right - Shinken, Forged (but not folded) Higo, Hi-iri 2.4 Shaku 850gm

Dave

18. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Thanks for the information on the swords, but I think I will leave it out, as the post is simply about the weapons lengths (choosing your own weapon).

Might be handy if somebody asks about the pic though :)

19. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I have been informed by Cudgel that All Saints Blades' site has been removed, so some of the picture links are now dead. I have taken this opportunity to check all of the links and I have updated some myself.

However, I need pics for the following sections of the sticky -
    One from a Google Image search I have found is this - is this what we are looking for here? If not, can someone find a pic?

Got a 404 on this pic (didnt it come from Dave Humm?), so in need of another katana pic - I know I could find one on Google, but with so much rubbish flying round...

Need piccies for those also.

Cheers in advance people :)
    Anth

20. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

However, I need pics for the following sections of the sticky -
    Quote:
    Italian longsword
    Should be as long as from floor to your navel. The blade should not be so long that the tip of the blade touches the ground when you're in the lower guards (like fools guard, borars tooth and tail guard) It should have it's balance point no longer than a hands length out from the crossguard, and shouldn't weigh more than 6lbs; ideally closer to 4lbs.

One from a Google Image search I have found is this - is this what we are looking for here? If not, can someone find a pic?

That picture shows somthing that can pass as an "italian longsword", yes