Picking the proper weapon size.

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by imperial_guardz, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Just a thought: if we can work out a full list of these I will combine all of the posts into a sticky for the forum. As the original poster said, we havent got anything like this yet, and get quite a few posts asking about weapons lengths. I think it would be a good resource :)

Now get on with it, all you people who know more about the weapons than me! :D

2. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

And frm my understanding the katan evolved rma short sword trsut into the obi, uchi-gatana.

3. imperial_guardz

imperial_guardz Master In Training

Exactly my intention ;)
    :D Finally someone realises :D

4. Cudgel

<insert nod of agreement.
    I had been thinking of suggesting the same

5. imperial_guardz

imperial_guardz Master In Training

To add to my first post...It seems that there are common size staffs among many styles. All staffs are still measured to suit the practitioner still

Dragon Staff
    Approximately 1½ of the practitioner's hieght.

Long Staff / Seven Star Staff
    Approximately the height of the practioner with one arm raised up vertically.

Shaolin Staff / Rat Tail Staff
    Approximately the same size as the practitioner's height.

Carry Staff
    Approximately ¾ of the practitioner's height, or approximately up to the practitioner's armpit.

Cudgel / Walking Stick
    Approximately half the person length, or approximately upto the the practitioner's hips

Flute / Ruler
    Approximately the length of the practioner's forearm (with or without the hand).

6. xuande

xuande New Member

Butterfly knives (Wo Dip Do)
    Same as imperial-guardz description of the Gan. They are both very similar in how they are used.

Straight Sword (Gim)
    Also as imperial-guardz described, but I've also seen it shown as holding the sword in front of you with the tip touching the ground the total length should be to your dan tien or about an inch or two below your belly button.

Red Tassel Spear
    Should be as tall as person holding their arm straight up, should be able to touch the tip of the spear by bending fingers down from the knuckles.

Some sets call for specific sized weapons, 9 province eyebrow height staff set anyone?

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

These things have to be thought over before I stick them ;) Don't want a full page of stickies, do we?

Keep them coming people. Please tell me when we hit the limit, and I will work my magic :)

Just an extra thought: would people like to have a link to a picture with the weapon name/size to help others?

8. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Ok people, heres what I have so far. If anyone wants anything changing, just give me a yell, or if you want any adding do the same. I will only make it a sticky when everyone is happy with it :)
    version 0.6 - 11:50 23/12/04

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  9. Cudgel

hrmmmmm.......you seem to be missing the wepons I posted.......
    And that isnt an Itallien styled longsword you have linked, it looks like a shortsword with a bastardstyled grip. Use this one http://allsaintsblades.com/Blade_pages/at1430.htm

10. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Cudgel - sorry about that, will get yours added when I sober up slightly.

The pics came from a Google Images search, so they may be wrong (as you pointed out). I have changed the one you spotted :)

Keep them coming people :D

11. Cudgel

no harm done

12. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Now on version 0.3 (see post #28). Added are Cudgel's sword bits.

Could somebody find me a pic of each (if its not too much hassle), then I will put the link into v0.4? :)

13. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Make that version 0.4. Added = staff info from post #25.

Still need some pics of the swords though.

14. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

You might want to add some sizing info about the bo and jo.

Bo
    The length of the bo should be measured with the tip placed on the ground and held vertical at your side.

Place your hand on top of your head lengthwise, the other end of the bo should not be longer than the combined height of you plus the length of your hand.

Mine are 6ft and only a hands width higher than my head and I find these are my favoured length for effective use.

The main problem I see is with people that have bos that are too long. It makes effective handling difficult and clumsy, and often the bo either gets caught or hits the floor. :bang: not good.

Jo
    The length we are taught to measure by is standing the jo vertical in front of you, the end of the jo comes to the solar plexus and no higher.

15. Cudgel

a pic of whic sword?

16. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

It was of the singlesword and the other one in your post (cant remember which) :( :)

17. Cudgel

18. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Cheers Cudgel :) They will be put in version 0.5, along with the bo/jo stuff.

You never know, we could have this done as a Chrimbo pressie for the Weapons forum. A new sticky :D

19. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Update: version 0.5 is done in post #28

Added are the pictures of the swords from Cudgel and Reiki's bo and jo bits :)

Any more for any more?

20. Cudgel

His twohandedsword
    The perfect length of your two handed sword is, the blade to be the length of the blade of your single sword.

To know the perfect length of your short staff, or half pike, forest bill, partisan, or glaive, or such like weapons of vantage and perfect lengths, you shall stand upright, holding the staff upright close by your body, with your left hand, reaching with your right hand your staff as high as you can, and then allow to that length a space to set both your hands, when you come to fight, wherein you may conveniently strike, thrust, and ward, & that is the just length to be made according to your stature. And this note, that these lengths will commonly fall out to be eight or nine foot long, and will fit, although not just, the statures of all men without any hinerance at all unto them in their fight, because in any weapon wherein the hands may be removed, and at liberty, to make the weapon longer of shorter in fight at his pleasure, a foot of the staff being behind the backmost hand does no harm. And wherefore these weapons ought to be of the lengths aforesaid, and no shorter, these are the reasons: If they should be shorter, then the long staff, morris pike, and such like weapons over and above the perfect length, should have great advantage over them, because he may come boldly and safe without any guard or ward, to the place where he may thrust home, and at every thrust put him in danger of his life, then can the long staff, the morris pike, or any longer weapon lie nowhere within the compass of the true cross, to cross and uncross, whereby he may safely pass home to the place, where he may strike or thrust him that has the long weapon, in the head, face, or body at his pleasure

oops I forgot to make the anmes of the weapons in that section bold...........