Pick your brains....

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by pocketwarrior, Nov 25, 2003.

1. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

Hi,

I'm currently doing another fitness course and one of the assignments before the actual course starts is to research the main reasons for the growth of the fitness industry and then go into depth about two main reasons (starting roughly from the 1980's).

What main influences do you think caused everybody to start exercising?

I started off with things like Jane Fonda, the Arnie era, heart disease etc.. can anyone think of any good or otherwise obvious ones? Or does anyone have any good links to this subject?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks.

2. Disciple

Disciple New Member

More competative athletes, and more knowlege on kineseology, that leads to more knowledge of what exercises are best, and what is good for you and what is not.

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Jane Fonda definately

Arnie made his mark on the fitness scene pre-80's

Tae-bo and the like / Boxercise was the 1st I think

Celebrities seen running marathons etc for charity

The availability of decent home exercise equipment

The rise in the number of gyms catering for "normal people" rather than meatheads. I.e. clean, warm, friendly gyms.

4. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

sounds good. Cheers for the input, hopefully this will help.

While i think of it i've also got to find a contraversial topic to do with the fitness industry and give arguements for and against that has arisen within the last few years.
    I thought of maybe using the Register of exercise professionals as an example to ensure trainers are genuinely qualified, or women weight training where they get the false belief that they will develop huge muscles. or children weight training, or steroid use.... that's all i came up with...

Thanks again.