Physical

Discussion in 'Karate' started by mani, Jun 3, 2003.

1. mani

mani Valued Member

I would like to know how important you guys think physcial ability should be in Karate.

In my karate club for every belt we pass we have to do 10 more press ups, sit ups. And when you get to black belt we eventually have to do 100 of each to pass.

What are your views on this? should your pyhsical ability go side by side your karate techniques?

2. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Well, physical strength is important but not essential to being a good martial artist. I have gotten my ass handed to me by people half my size and strength, I believe mental strength is the most important in being a good martial artist. :D

3. paul paterson

paul paterson Valued Member

Osu.

Physical ability is not the same as physical strength although both do complement each other. Being able to perform (ability) a push-up or squats is not the same as being able to do it with strength.

All schools of the MA have there on set criteria on the physical strength and ability and its not all just about how many of this or that can you do, its much more.

If a disabled person, say a wheelchair user could only manage to do 20 punches or 10 lat raises and you go and do 50 of each does that mean you are stronger?

Doing more push-ups and squats etc for each belt or Dan grade comes with the job, you just do it. Some do it better than other, so what. As long as YOU put in 100% effort and pure honesty into what ever you are doing and treating as if it was your very last breath of life, then you will always be the winner.

Osu.
    Paul Paterson.

4. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

People should be really honest with themselves about their athletic condition and remeber that fighting is not the be-all and end-all of life. A certain amount of physical strength is of course a prerequisite for such ****-kicking competitions as martial arts present us with.

5. paul paterson

paul paterson Valued Member

Osu,

Please remember the topic rules, "language Timothy"

Osu
    Paul Paterson.

6. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Yes, mother.