Photography Thread 4

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by YODA, Feb 8, 2009.

1. csoby

csoby Valued Member

I am looking at the Tamron 150-600mm
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1013956-REG/tamron_a011_c_sp_150_600mm_f_5_6_3_di.html

With something that big I would be shooting off of a tripod and I would be shooting at a higher ISO.

You could always trying something like borrowlens.com and rent a lens over a weekend to see what you like best. I plan on doing that before buying. $1k is quite a bit to drop on a lens and the one you mentioned is closer to $2k so... it is better to be sure it meets your needs. :)

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

The Tamron 150-600 has also been suggested to me.

I keep meaning to look at the local shops and see if they do rental. I'm not gonna buy for a while (need to save up) so I'm not in a rush.

Why would you be shooting with a higher ISO? because of the low light I mentioned or something else?

3. csoby

csoby Valued Member

Only because of the low light with that aperture... and only if I needed to. Fortunately I upgraded bodies this spring. My old body was crap at anything past 800 iso and only went to 1600 iso anyways. It made shooting Aikido a pain as no flash, kit lens, etc etc...

4. Bozza Bostik

So what body do you have? I have a canon 70D, it's not bad if I use something like 1600 ISO but I don't like shooting much higher than that. I wouldn't want to do photos of animals with something like 1600 though.

I haven't actually shot a martial arts event, besides a savate event last year. the local Pekiti-Tirsia guys had there annual "War in the Trenches" (like a DBMA gathering) out in the woods this weekend, I was going to ask if I could go and watch and photo...but then I decided I couldn't be arsed to stand around in sub-zero temperatures in the forest.

5. csoby

csoby Valued Member

I had a Canon Rebel XSi and recently upgraded to a Canon 5D Mark III

A couple of examples with the Rebel

[​IMG]Throw.jpg by Clayton Soby, on Flickr

[​IMG]Sheath the Sword by Clayton Soby, on Flickr

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Pretty!!

Nice going there.

7. csoby

csoby Valued Member

Thank you, I try... still sooooooo much to learn

8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

The sword one is particularly good. I could easily imagine that accompanying a magazine article.

I've seen far worse for sale on stock photography sites!

9. Bozza Bostik

This is all I have online...a staggering 5 photos....(besides IG). ignore the landscape and dog one, I was just trying to figure out how 500px worked.

Got a whole bunch of gig photos I need to add but am too lazy to do the editing!

https://500px.com/al_hostage

10. David Harrison

I really like the B&W one of the guy with the guitar.

11. Bozza Bostik

Thanks David. Yeah, Joe Buck, country punk guy who also plays with Hank Williams III.

I've had a bit of a nightmare trying to do gig photography. I did a lot of research and came across a guy who has a whole website and online training for "rock photography". He suggested buying a cheap, fast 50mm lens for gigs to get started. So I took his advice and bought a 50mm. It is a fast lens and wrks well in low light, but the problem is this guy is taking pics at biggish rock gigs...I'm taking photos in grimy, small bars where a 50mm lens brings you in way too close and pretty much gives you portrait photos.

So I am looking at buying...:cry:

https://www.rajalacamera.fi/canon-ef-24-70-2-8-l-ii-usm-objektiivi.html

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  12. csoby

csoby Valued Member

Great lens... i have a Canon EF 24-70 f4 but the f2.8 is great..

My 500px (mostly all landscape stuff): https://500px.com/clayton-soby

13. Bozza Bostik

It's a fair price though...especially as I need something for the wildlife photography!

I need 2.8 for the gigs. I think the iphone lens is equivalant to a 28mm lens, and I can get better band shots (composition wise) with that than the 50mm, so I think 24mm will work out nicely.

I like landscape photography. I live next to a forest and should do more there, there's plenty of weird and wonderful stuff to photograph. But I am usually sitting by the side of a swamp waiting for deer.

That photo of the branch (distressed wood) on your 500px account is awesome.

How did you do the ghost photos? I am thinking of doing something similar in the woods, inspired by a guy who uses the name "narikka photography". Ido't want to post his accounts as he has a bit of nudity...all artistic but against MAP's TOS.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  14. csoby

csoby Valued Member

Thank you!

Ghost photo... There is a Fort (Fort Washington) about 20 miles from my house and the 1st Sunday of the Month, April to October, the have re-enactors fire a canon. I happened to know one of the re-enactors and had him stand in front of one of the out buildings, took the photo, had him step away, took a second photo, and then merged in photoshop, erasing everything but him and adjusting the opacity of his layer. Then I just applied a few color effects in Lightroom.

15. Bozza Bostik

I'll have to give that a shot.

I've got a few ideas of doing similar and maybe with some dogs. Might turn out rubbish but it's fun to experiment.

16. csoby

csoby Valued Member

17. Bozza Bostik

I like that.

I'm thinking of trying it the other way so the dogs or person is juuust a little bit see through.

18. David Harrison

A girlfriend of mine was experimenting with ghost photos when she was doing her art degree. She did it by taking a long exposure in low light, the subject stands still for a while then jumps out of shot. I think it looks spookier than the photoshop effects.

19. csoby

csoby Valued Member

I have done them that way as well... With photoshop you have more control... but with the long exposure you are never sure what you will get which is cool too...

like this (long exposure on a tripod)
    [​IMG]Aikido Phantoms by Clayton Soby, on Flickr

20. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

[​IMG]

I had an exciting time at the parade. A little too exciting!