Phil Milner

Discussion in 'Karate' started by reikislapper, Jul 14, 2005.

1. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

HI this is a call to all of the folk who trained with the late Phil Milner who taught in Sheffield and Dinnington. I have his neice here and she's trying to find anyone who had been learning under his instruction. Can anyone help or put her in touch with anyone who might know as she's in need of a bit of help.
    lisa xx

2. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

3. ninj

ninj New Member

Dai Hanshi Phil Milner

Hi reikislapper

I had the honour of training under Phil Milner since 1983 and took all my grades under him. I had the great honour (although very sad) of being a pall bearer at his funeral, along with Josh Johnson, Ken Whitham and my Instructor Arnie Bestwick.

He was a remarkable man and miss him so much. He was a superb martial artist and a wonderful man. The last time I saw him was on my wedding day in 2000, which made his passing even more sad to bare.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Ninj

4. ninj

ninj New Member

Phil greeting...

...here's Phil grabbing my attention.

Ouch!!

Cheers

Ninj

Attached Files:

5. reikislapper

Thanks a great deal for this one Ninj as your a lifesaver, Joan my crazy neighbour has been trying to get in touch with some of his club for a while. I'll tell you more when I can talk to you in chat or something, please let me know when you can go in as I've loads to tell you on behalf of her. Pm me please to let me know when you can go in there. My friends pc is on the mend now (hopefully lol) so I can reply to some of the other threads.
    see you soon
    lisa xx

6. ninj

ninj New Member

Re Phil Milner

Hi Lisa

Just drop me an e-mail. I'm sure I set my profile up to receive them. I only go online at work and cannot really go into chat, but I check my e-mails every hour.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

ninj

:)

7. deanmorley

deanmorley New Member

just seen this and i know someone who trained with him when he was a brown belt and for few years later

8. TheWaterMargins

TheWaterMargins Valued Member

I'm sure I've heard Graham Ravey mention him a few times after training .....

http://www.togka.com/TOGKA.htm

I know it's an Australian site but Graham is living back in Chesterfied for a few years.

9. deanmorley

deanmorley New Member

ask him if he knows anyone called Graham Morley or does anyone else out there

10. reikislapper

Hi there, I'm really sorry I haven't been in touch. I've been really busy with the coursework and everything else with trying to start up a business. I'm in touch with his neice Joan as she lived in the flat above me, she's the one who is trying to contact folk who used to train with him. I'll let her know the news.
    lisa xx

11. reikislapper

I live in Chesterfield lol, where about's is he as I'm sure Joan would love to meet him, she's one of Phil's family and it's her I'm doing this for.
    Thanks again
    lisa xx

12. karajutsu

karajutsu Valued Member

www.britishgodaiassociation.co.uk/

also check out friends reunited and search for International Budo Association

And Daniel Blanchet IBA just type in Google search

Trained with Phil from 1974 to 1985ish took me for dan grade (Failed me twice!!)

Mike Sanderson

Hull

13. deanmorley

deanmorley New Member

Did you train with Derek Lorison in Hull because i know phil trained with him & he might av gone on the barefoot run but i'll find out about that and other people he trained with were Bob Lord from Notts Eddie Wolverson Scun & Ken Teasdale which i belive went to 0z

14. deanmorley

deanmorley New Member

just been on the link above and it says he holds world records for the barefoot run now ive just been told he wasn't on it and they can't remember him being their when they knocked the house down unless he's done then again and that he fell out with phil in the early 80s

15. TheWaterMargins

TheWaterMargins Valued Member

I think it's Staveley but where/when I've no idea ......

16. deanmorley

deanmorley New Member

if she want to know from 65 to 80s i know two people ive got pics of him and cine film

17. karajutsu

karajutsu Valued Member

Hi Dean
    Dereck Lorenson Trained at Hull Uni i believe, i met him a couple of times at comps he seemed a nice man. (Sadly died of heart attack about 12 years ago ) I trained at the NDLB Karate and Judo Club under Frank Hayes who was one of Phils Dan grades.
    I know that Dunc was at the row of houses we knocked down in i think Worksop i may have the place wrong but i was there with him on it. It was filmed for the Russel Harty show.
    Other names who come to mind are,. Roy Petchy, John Robinson, Kevin Judge, Steve Swidell, John Rose and Ged Tunman. there are others im sure that slip my mind. i have a few pics of Phil and a prgram from an IBA comp that has lots of pics and info on Phil.

Mike Sanderson

Hull

18. deanmorley

deanmorley New Member

the person i know knows Roy Petchy, john Robinson and kevin Judge but 2 people have told me the house was in Idel Bradford which i know Graham Morley Jimmy Moorhouse and Tommy Graves was at as i was there as a little boy but me dad seems to think that they might have done another after this 1

19. karajutsu

karajutsu Valued Member

Hi Dean
    Yeh we did a row of houses in the early 80s again not sure of the exact date though.
    mIKE

20. deanmorley

deanmorley New Member

thats why then but he wasn't on the barefoot run i know that for sure