PhD in MA?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Huntley, Apr 21, 2010.

1. scott_b

scott_b New Member

A university may have funding for a specific PhD topic, so it is possible that there was a PhD in Martial Arts Philosophy for potential students to vie for...however a university would not offer a research programme with a named descriptor of 'Martial Arts Philosophy' as the PhD is a solitary project. It may of course be different in the US than the UK though!

Dead_pool likes this.
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Whilst it's possible it's legit, 7c2oelr9klf21 (1).jpg there's a lot of scams out their that seem very very popular!

Grond, Monkey_Magic and axelb like this.
  3. scott_b

scott_b New Member

LOL - Love the cartoon! And, very true!!!

Re. scams, you can buy degrees online for next to nothing and people will believe they're true! It is an ego thing unless you really are driven by a passion - I was, also as an academic a PhD is seen as professional development. Yet buying degrees online for writing a few hundred words devalues the degree and also the martial arts. (My ego thing is that I can say I have a PhD in 'Sects and Violence' (which sounds like sex and violence) given they were the first three words of the title...and often the only ones I can remember!

A famous example of someone buying their doctorate and using it to effect can be found from this link:
    Gillian McKeith - Wikipedia

Dead_pool likes this.
  4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

5. scott_b

scott_b New Member

Very true! I'm sure there are many others out there. Partly my drive is to get people to think and question...alas the current education system (at least in the UK) attempts to remove all critical thought it seems!

Dead_pool likes this.