Petition to Bring Pankration to London 2012!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Alexander, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

By the Lord Mayor himself, no less! :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsFRgIb8mAQ&NR=1"]Boris Johnson Ping Pong Speech - YouTube[/ame]

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Was a good speech.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

He does do a good speech. He's always one step away from verbal disaster though.
    It'll be a shame when he does go too far.

4. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

That's what makes him so impossible to ignore. It's like watching a drunk person walking around the wall of a lion enclosure.

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

That was a pretty funny speech. But his assertion that almost every international sport was either invented or codified by the British? Really?

6. holyheadjch

I wouldn't be surprised in the majority were, at least in part.

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I took it as an almost tongue-in-cheek 'English' take on everything.

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I thought it might be that. He should tread carefully, though, because few things translate as poorly across national lines as humor. What a British person or even an American can identify as "English wit" might come across instead as inaccurate arrogance to people in Greece, Russia, or Japan.

9. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

One hell of a lot were. Sking, no less, is actually a British sport!

With regards to Boris, I really can't help but like the guy. He is clever. He is astute. He also doesn't seem to have an ounce of common sense. I firmly believe that the world of British politics is far more interesting with him than without!

10. holyheadjch

I honestly doubt Boris is bothered about what the Greeks, Russians or Japanese think of him. He barely cares what his voters think of him.

11. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

This may be so. I'll admit I know nothing about the local politics of London, but it sounds like this guy has about as much tact as my country's President.

However, considering that London will be hosting the world's largest international sporting competition--a competition founded by the Greeks--he should probably start caring what the Greeks, Russians, Japanese, and everyone else think of him. A country can really improve its international image with a well-executed Olympic Games (as China has done). But a country could also harm its image if the uncouth mayor of the host city shoots his mouth off without thinking while the whole world watches.

12. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I think the same way about him, and his episode of "Who Do You Think You Are?" last week was brilliant.

13. holyheadjch

lol, in which case we havn't a prayer. He's offended large swathes of this country and many others already. If he wasn't such a bumbling buffoon he would never have been elected.

14. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

So good in fact I fell asleep watching him. The only good one from this series will be Jerry Springer. His father was direct from the German concentration camps. It will be like Natasha Kaplinskey from the BBC again.

15. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

I quite like Boris. He's clever, quick witted and appears to do things his way. So what if he has messy hair and offends people every now and then.

16. Topher

Topher allo!

Boris is a genius! Always entertaining. I don't see how anyone can not like him, even if they disagree with his politics.

It's about time we had a bit of humour injected into politics. There is George Bush, but he's on the wrong side of comedy!

17. Topher

Topher allo!

Can you imagine if it was Livingstone giving that speech! How dull and awkward that would have been.

18. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Boris is funny ive liked him ever since he rugby tackled the german footballer in the charity match!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWIUp19bBoA"]Boris Johnson vs Germany - YouTube[/ame]

19. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Oh God he would have started crying and demand all British athletes let the others win to repay for our empire days....

20. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Too late about offending the Germans.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWIUp19bBoA"]Boris Johnson vs Germany - YouTube[/ame]

(It's worth posting twice:))