Pesky Cramp

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by madmike, Nov 15, 2006.

1. madmike

madmike ow that hurt not

i have a problem with awful painful cramps in my feet and hamstrings and claf muscles. what should i do? ive tried doing a really good regular strecth but it has had no effect. it annoys me more because its cutting down my flexability. i need help. have you experienced this yourself?

2. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

Doesn't a cramp mean lack of salt.....or am I thinking of the wrong thing?

3. madmike

madmike ow that hurt not

its argued whether thats wat it is or not. but thats not it coz i eat loads of salty food. (probably not a good idea).

4. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

Lol, no probably not! I don't know. Mayube you're trying to stretch too far or something like that....or maybe you're stretching when your cold?

5. Reakt

Reakt Valued Member

Cramp is normally due to lack of water or potassium, having lots of salt wont help.

Consume a lot more water and try having bananas regularly.

6. lil_kazie

lil_kazie Valued Member

I used to suffer from cramps in my calf muscle. i asked around and i was recommended to start taking magnesium tablets or increase it in my diet... works wonders.. byebye to cramps

Foods rich in magnesium
    whole grains, nuts, beans, seeds, fish, avocados, and leafy green vegetables. An ounce of sunflower seeds contains 100 milligrams; almonds, 85; cashews, 75; wheat germ, 70; brazil nuts, 65; dark chocolate, 35. A half cup of cooked spinach, Swiss chard, or cooked beans contains 60 to 80 milligrams. Three ounces of many kinds of fish has 50 to 90 milligrams. About 80% of the magnesium in grains is in the bran and germ, which are removed in the milling of flour and rice, so refined grain products (such as white bread and white rice) are poor sources. If your drinking water is hard, you’ll get a fair amount of magnesium from it.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  7. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Hey madmike,

When do the cramps come on? Before or after a workout? At night when you're sleeping (the worst!), during certain MA techniques?

Cut out too much salt in your diet just as an aside. You should know better. And as has been suggested, hydrate & potassium.

8. Shae

Shae Valued Member

You really need to have this looked at by an MD

What you are describing could be anything from Tendinitis, lower back Sciatic nerve issues to pre mature arthritis. Only a MD could tell you, the one thing I didn't see in your post was numbness, inflamation which makes me feel better about belieiving that it's not Sciatic. There are many natural progressions that this could fall under due to age to the type of shoe your wearing. Remember Cramps are a symptom of your bodying telling you something is wrong. Heed the warning. Go get checked out.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  9. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Hi Doctor Shae :D

10. jimi

jimi New Member

I ever have been an experience like this ,and i remenber i am too neverous ,not lack of salt .The feeling is unforgetable ,later my friends advise me to learn some regimen ,after it ,i feel relaxy ,and the times of the camp happens is fewer and fewer ,in my opinion this is a good idea to cure the camp .If you are interested it ,you could log on http://www.chinawudang.com/wdjhb/wdys_ysyz.asp?Language=yw .Especially guiding the breath and massaging .

11. lil_kazie

lil_kazie Valued Member

actually it was my nutritionist and i talked to also the gnc guy and i talked to a pharmacist

12. madmike

madmike ow that hurt not

during the excercise and somtimes when i strech and yes at night aswell.

13. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Doctors is the way to go.

Sounds to me that you may need a check up by a chiropractor.