Personal Question

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Shark, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Shark

Shark New Member

Geday'

I'm from Australia n Im Intrested in Martial Arts, Self Defence and Fitness' I've just turned 17, and Im trying to find out a way I can teach myself Martial Arts n Increase my speed and Accuracy, loose the flab round my gut n able to defend myself

Is there any Websites, Downloads I can get to help me reach my goal?

Thanks

J

((Don't Loose the Lesson))

2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Hello Shark

Welcome to our forum!

All I can say in answer to your question is the best place for you to learn martial arts and everything it can offer you is in the training hall with a qualified instructor. Videos and downloads do have there merits as training 'tools' but nothing beats the time and attention that you get in a hall with someone who can watch you and correct you. Good luck in your search for a martial art. Just make sure its something you enjoy and can see others are progessing and the instructors 'appears' honest and open with his students.

3. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

You cannot beat the training hall.
    But does anybody know of some good web sites which can be used for reference ?

4. Melanie

5. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

thanks for that

i have tried a few searches on google before, i've not found anything particularly good yet, still have to rely on books. most sites are really just there to sell things.

6. Shark

Shark New Member

Sounds like the resouces on the Internet are very poor'' I can't find any material either, I've searched, Kazaa, most search sites' still nuff'n..

does anyone have any Tips, Idears and things they do them self for fitness exercise?? I've tryed two chairs facing each other body langth apart, gives you more leverage with pushups'' holding bum bells n punchin the air'' and Just general running

Cheers

J

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

8. darlph

darlph New Member

Yoda, good guy. Good web sites are hard to find. I browsed yours a while back and it'S pretty good. :)
    I just want to remind Shark that he also has to practice more than once a week and I have found that If I make a schedule for that week it helps. I keep a calendar on my desk [along with the bill due one ] For what days or weeks I do what. I also like slow motion movement to help with form and muscle memory. Some tomes I use weights but only for slow motion movement, don't want to injure myself. For resistance, my brother cut a bicycle tube and I use that also.

Good luck and you'll like Yodas' sites

9. Shark

Shark New Member

Hey... Yo'

Yoda.. thank you my friend' much appreciated

Darlph.. Once a week? I'm 17 so you think I'm not committed? wow, wow, wow, wow, WOW! I find, whenever I find myself standing there with free time, I go down stairs n get into it'' once, twice a day' depending on other commitments and how I'm feeling' don't talk down to me because I'm new' Respect me for what I want and will achieve'

Melanie.. you sound like a top sort, thanks for the friendly welcome'

does anyone have Msn Messenger n would like to chat witt me on there??

Take it easy'

J

((LOOK OUT!! Two hands can be dangerous, so can one's mind))

10. Melanie

Did somebody say Yahoo Chat? :D

must hold back...22 IM friends is enough....

11. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

Hiya,

I have a few leg and sparring drills on http://www.practical-martial-arts.co.uk under 'Back to Basics' and 'Kumite'. I've also got a competiton running right now where you can win The Complete Master's Kick by Hee Il Cho. It's an excellent book and shows all the muscles used and exercises that can strengthen and improve your kicking.

Just pop along to http://www.practical-martial-arts.co.uk and read the statement about the competition. I'm hoping to have some more piccies and exercises put on fairly soon.

Cheers!

12. Cain

Cain New Member

Hi, I am Cain,

for your videos and online dojos I found this site
    http://www.fighttraining.com, however you just cannot beat the kind of training you would get in a dojo, for example if you try to learn jumping and you do the wrong thing then you would not get to the target but in martial arts if you did the wrong thing then there would be nobody to correct you and your form would be incorrect and you would be learning the wrong things all the way and you would realise it only at the last moment
    :rolleyes: It's better to get assistance from a martial arts teacher
    Happy to help,
    Cain