Perhaps my fault but this is fustrating...

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by The Kestrel, Feb 20, 2006.

1. The Kestrel

The Kestrel Valued Member

After all i decided to take TKD. It seemed good, and i was having fun until i saw that i might be in the wrong place.
    I have been, what? 2 weeks? and in some stretches(sp?) i saw i was faring Really worse than other new students. Ok, nothing worse, i mean, none of us have the same body
    However, when we were asking to mantain the leg in some certain kick, i had an intense pain in my leg and waist and i now know what is wrong.

in October, i had an ankle injury, and one year ago i had an injury too in an accident. I now realize that the only thing my legs are really useful now is running, and TKD, as i see, is most about kicks.
    As for any therapies and all that, i tried it when i had the injury. I even had a surgery but now, i see nothing worked.

Would do better for me taking another MA?

2. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

My first question is were they aware that you had a previous impairment?

My next question is if they were aware did they push you regardless of it?

If the answers to the above questions are, yes, it is not the style, it's the instruction and getting out would be a good idea as they are ignorant of fitness and safety practices.

3. The Kestrel

No, they said that i should strech as much as i considered able. They're aware of my ankle injury. right.
    They're not forcing me to do anything i cant.

4. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Well that's good to hear. I'd recommend just taking it slow. Take it easy and do what you can and let nature take its course. There is no reason you cannot do TKD. The worst thing you can do is stop exercising an area of the body. Not using the area causes deterioration, stop using it long enough and the effect is permanent. Go easy, but don't stop.

5. The Kestrel

Alright Thanks.

6. DarthSciurus

DarthSciurus Valued Member

*shrugs* If you like Tae Kwon Do, stick with it. Doesn't matter if you're not doing as well as the other guys; it's not like baseball where you can try out for the team and not make it. You're on the team if you want to be, and if you make yourself a presence. I had surgery on my knee a while ago, and one of the big reasons I'm taking TKD is to get it back in shape. Maybe it'll take longer to do the kicks properly, but then it'll be an extra accomplishment, right?

7. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

As already said, if you enjoy it stick to it.
    I was told I would never get my flexibility back after my back operation, but due to sheer determination I have more.
    Patience, determination and hard work all pays off in the end. ;)
    Dont lose heart.

8. deaddoll

deaddoll New Member

I would sort out the injury ,then re think my options ,you know you could have alot of SCAR tissue,this can be sorted out with massage,may even need deep tissue massage,you didnt say exactly what ankle injury was,if a sprain then its early days yet could take up to a year,dont accept pain from old injurys go get it sorted out :love: And like the others have posted ..never compare your abilitys or performance to the others ,if you enjoy your training and you progress ,then you are a winner ..keep at it but get the injury sorted out

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  9. Ashford

Ashford New Member

Dude, last lesson in my class we were concerntrating purely on legs, we started with low section kicks, then mid section then high section. Low section was no problem, mid was hardish, but high section was out of my reach. Obviously i felt quite annoyed about the fact i couldnt kick that high. To make matters worse my little sister is in the same class and she kicks higher! Im 19 and she is 13, plus i have a major competitive streak. So i had a crisis where i questioned if TaeKwon Do is the right MA for me. But im sticking with it, and hopefully going to begin a yoga class to aid my flexibility. Keep on with it. You'll get there and so will I :)

10. hux

hux ya, whatever.

I have the approximate flexibility of a fencepost. If I try really hard I can get head height round kicks - and I mean REALLY hard ;)

Why do I say that? We're all given different assets. I'm stronger than most people in my dojo. I was genuinely surprised when I was complaining about my flexibility to a guy who said something like "yea but when you kick you mean it"...made a lot of sense, that.

Anyways - if the drills are truly causing you pain or making your condition worse, you can either ask to modify the drills or not do them altogether. Any reasonable instructor will accomodate, I think.

You can't truly appreciate the exquisite pain of a leg kick until you've caught a solid one. Pop one of those sprite young lads on the thigh, they'll slow down with the head kicks.

:eek:

11. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

you've been there two weeks and there having you do active flexiblity drills already? based on the limited info you have given sounds like another instructor who has no understanding of conditioning.

However if you are new to this - you will feel it in the hip and butt and maybe lower back.