Performance Wushu in the Cage

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by TheMightyMcClaw, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DEATHskull

DEATHskull TKD Bearfighter

Where did you learn your ground skills? I know those slams aren't taught in Wushu!

2. beknar

beknar Valued Member

The Buk Sing guys are *infamous* for taking on all comers. They have actual videos of challengers being beaten in the face, shoulders, anywhere where they could be touched. Infamous. There used to be stories of Buk Sing guys challenging people outside hotels. And winning.

It's enough to make someone change schools. :)

3. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

That's a good example. Makes me think, however, that there are guys that are tough fighters no matter what they take... Some of this Buk Sing guys could have trained in some other martial art and still beat the poop out of opponents... it is more to say how they train, not what they train in.

4. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

BSCLF

Yeah you are right and they are so very aggressive because of the way they are taught and train, that kind of aggressive arogant kill kill kill atitude is constantly hammerd into you.
    The point i was trying to make before was that their not going to get into a cage with some one and roll around on the floor wrestling and if you challenge them their not going to want to fight to youre rules they will just laugh at you ive seen it to many times before.

5. GSHAMBROOKE

BSCLF

There not just stories i was there for alot of it and it was always very violent and bloody.

6. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

That's the thing though - Wushu consists of like 90% jumping and posing. Pose, jump, another pose, stretch kick, jump, pose some more.... there's really not much more to it.
    I hope to some day hit someone with a no hand cartwheel.
    Or even just doing a no hand cartwheel would be good enough.
    As far the uchimata and slams go, I should probably mention that I'm also a BJJ blue belt and the team captain of the UM BJJ club.

I seem to remember at least one or two people making this kind of argument before. :rolleyes:
    Problem is, you not wanting to rassle your opponent doesn't stop him from rasslin' you. In general, it makes it easier. :p

7. DEATHskull

Haha that's awesome. I did Wushu for about a year or so before I joined the military and I loved it. I had a really good instructor and we did a lot of heavy contact sparring. I actually had some loose teeth for awhile after getting kicked in the face.

8. TheMightyMcClaw

I'm going to guess that your wushu included some San Da/Shou, right?
    Mine was pure Tao Lu, unfortunately. Just jumpin' and posin' all over the place.

9. DEATHskull

I don't know, the instructor didn't call it that. He just liked to train hard. I guess I just lucky.

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Excuse me? When have I ever said any such thing? Do you really not have anything better to do than randomly ridicule others?

11. laugarfist

laugarfist New Member Supporter

No, no he doesn't. Stick with Mr O's response of "Meh". Anything else is like :bang:

12. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

I have a simple policy on this 'Sifu' Ben. While the going was good, you happily took credibility from Chinese martial arts - you gave yourself silly titles, claimed serious fight application and level - even viciously attacking and personally insulting anyone who didn't believe you - claimed a position as teacher and representitive of 'real' kung fu, in real life and publicly on the net, took students - and their money, and their respect.

You took all of that, and you used it to insult and attack others who didn't really buy that you really were an authentic representitive of Chinese martial arts.

I warned you, countless times, that to take credibility from Quan is to accept that when the crunch comes, you must accept the challenge of defending the honour of Chinese martial arts. You must. You - no excuses, wriggles, attacks on others - you. You, and those like you.

I warned you, countless times - be humble, claim nothing, drop the titles. But no - you insisted that you are the real representitive of Quan.

So my policy is simple, and absoloutely true - what you borrowed, you must pay back. The credibility that Quan gave you is paid back by you defending it. It's a two way deal - you can't have one without the other. The honour of representing an art doesn't mean just getting money and kudos and titles - it means defending it.

Hypocrite. While the going was good you sucked out credibility from Quan. Now that it's a laughing stock, where are you?

I'd like to help you, but like you have said so many times, and with bile and venom, I don't really do real kung fu, and I have the power of a six year old girl... and like I say, I'm old and ill, and I have a low fight level anyway - I'd never dream of saying I was a representitive of real level kung fu.

So you can call me names, you can insult me, you can call me a coward - go for it. It's your debt, and all like you, who took and took and took, then when pay back time came, cried like six year old girls saying 'I never said that...'

Sure you didn't 'Sifu' Ben.

PS
    Please, don't answer me, don't talk to me - I won't even read it. It's nothing to do with me. This is your debt, and only you can pay it back - if you have that level of honour. Ask yourself why CMA is a laughing stock in the first place.

13. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

And you are another, Sifu Michael.

14. laugarfist

laugarfist New Member Supporter

Meh

15. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Wow, such venom, such vitriol, such rambling, barely coherent paranoia. As you clearly have only ever read the first line of anything I've ever posted (if you believe I've said much of what you perceive me to have), then I'm sure it won't make that much difference if you don't read that :rolleyes:
    As for my name, Sifu Ben is my internet identity across the web (except in a couple of places I've been for a VERY long time), non MA forums, online gaming etc, it's my web identity. It started out as an in joke, and far from me claiming any elevated position or taking myself too seriously, it's really about me NOT taking myself too seriously.
    One thing not taking myself too seriously allows me to do is to remember that the internet is not real life. What 14 year olds and BJJ white belts laugh at really doesn't trouble me that much.
    When the going was good? LOL, I'm 30, I'd been training for a year when UFC came out. Kung Fu being trashed on the Sherdog forum has been an ever present of my teaching career. I just keep going with the live training I've always done, always keep an open mind about new ideas, and not worry too much about it. My student retention is high, my long term students fight well, the one's who've been unfortunate enough to be attacked have defended themselves, the one's who've competed have done OK, I'm happy contented and secure with my teaching (although I'm always looking to make it just that little bit better).

16. GSHAMBROOKE

BSCLF

Oooo Nasty:) I just want to get something straight, i dont stick up for kf just because its kf i dont care what style, art it is if i think its crap or a teacher, instructor, master is full off it i would be one of the first to say but then that would just be my opinion maybe not everyone else.

17. TheMightyMcClaw

Holy crap, I clearly missed something big going down while away from MAP. Someone want to fill me in on the drama?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  18. GSHAMBROOKE

BSCLF

I dont know really i dont think any of that was aimed at me ,could be wrong i just wanted it known that i am not one eyed about kf.
    I also have never called myself master, never liked the term i get called di si hing by some but encourage people to call me by name.
    The way i see it i will be a student untill i die other people can call themselves master if they wish but that dose not make them one.

Anyway i think most of this was covered on another thread about what makes a master.

19. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

wow as much fighting happens on the forums about CMA, CMA'ers can own up to more confrentations then any other style ever created.:)

20. GSHAMBROOKE

BSCLF

Yeah funny that:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.