Performance Diagnostic Trinity and Shotokan's "Red Triangle"

Discussion in 'Karate' started by RMAX.tv, Jul 18, 2002.

1. RMAX.tv

RMAX.tv New Member

On Gmattson's forum, a poster apprised me of the similarity of my Performance Diagnostic Trinity (pictured below) in Flow-Fighting: Mental Toughness for Martial Arts and Combat Sports and the 3 K's of Shotokan's "Red Triangle:" Kata, Kihon and Kumite.

[​IMG]

Practice refering to skill development.
    Training refering to physical attribute development.
    Competition referring to toughness development as a result of confronting uncooperative, fully-resistant opponent(s) in the crucible of force-on-force scenarios.

A poster stated this held similarity to Kata (Rehearsal), Kihon (Conditioning), and Kumite (Fighting).

Could anyone please add their opinion as to the accuracy of these comments?

Secondly, if accurate, could anyone please provide resources as to the originator of this "Red Triangle" in Shotokan (or any other sources)? I frequently provide peak performance training seminars and workshops for martial artists from various styles. To wed my Performance Diagnostic Trinity to concepts already incumbent within their styles would aid me greatly.

Thank you in advance.

Scott Sonnon
    RMAX Performance Solutions
    RMAX.tv

2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Ahhh...perfect...you managed to ask a good question and advertise at the same time!

Welcome to the forums RMAX.tv :)

Very good forum Gmattsons. I have seen ROSS being advertised on many forums now. You're welcome to send in articles about this MA if you like. Just submit them to mainfo@iycstaff.com. Please note we have an events/calender too for anything coming up in the future.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

(and I hope someone can answer the above question!)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2002