perfect school

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by hwarang cl, Sep 13, 2006.

1. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

If you were to build the perfect dojang, and money didn't matter. What would you have in it, type of floors, training aids, layout of building, anything, what would you have?

2. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

All the best instructors of every art in the world. :)

Or is it just for myself personally to teach in???????

3. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

just your own do-jang

4. Silentmonk

Oh ok... :(

I'll have a proper think and come back then :)

5. JKN-Taylor

JKN-Taylor New Member

Dojang in the mountains... budhist temple style :cool:

Indoor and outdoor training areas.

No more than 12 students at a time.

and uhhh... attack robots for my Danger Room!

6. ember

ember Valued Member

My TKD dojang had locker rooms, that was kinda nice. On the other hand, considering some of the other issues that have been brought up here, I might go more with the restroom / changing rooms, and just one shower on-site.

I don't much like having poles in the middle of the practice area, I prefer it to be wide open spaces as much as possible.

I think the color difference / divided carpet area works very nicely, to give space for subdividing a class.

7. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

i like the sound of that, i want 1 too :D

8. Silentmonk

Ok my perfect training hall for myself and what i would want to teach:-

Ground Floor:

Forms Room...................... Ground to ceiling mirrrors on all four walls, slightly sprung wooden floor

Techniques area.................Permanently matted, probably using wrestling type matting over whole surface

A Tumble Track and Foam Pit

Full size boxing ring

Various size and weight heavy bags

Floor to Ceiling balls

A permanent Wrestling Ring matted

First Floor Where entry is made to facility via outside staircase:-

Changing facilities incorporating steam rooms, lockers, showers. etc

Massage room

Office

Viewing balcony ( with seating ) all the way round so you can see all the activities going on.

Fully equipped free weight room and cardio facilitys

Non Profit making shop.

thats the basic building....... you want equipment too?????.
    ( bits in red we already have access to )

Oh and since this is MY dream the WHOLE place runs on a non profit making basis fees cover costs of keeping the place going. Instructors have set wages and are full time. Everyone is entitled to certain number of hours of private tuition a month.

And I am bringing in other people to teach specific seminars and methods so I guess I just got chucked outta the organisation :D

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  9. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

Wow, can I be one of the instructors please?

10. Silentmonk

Thats put the running costs up grrrrrrrr next you'll want a fully functioning video editing suite tucked away in the corner :D

Oh go on then............ you were on my shortlist anyway :)

11. ember

ember Valued Member

How about an indoor track around the place, and a lap pool in the basement?

:Angel:

12. JKN-Taylor

JKN-Taylor New Member

what? ... no robots? :confused:

I would love to train in a place like that though! Badass ideas!

13. Silentmonk

running messes my knees up and that would mess up the balcony for viewing, you can jog to the facility :) ........... and I have an olympic size swimming pool in the back yard of my mansion that all members can use free of charge,

afterall the only way I'll ever afford a place like that is if I win the lottery :D

14. JSun

JSun Valued Member

Poles might be alright if they could be subleased to an exotic dancing class :D

Then again, that might pose a problem when trying to concentrate during forms.

15. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

Poles being used on the practice floor

But it might not hurt as much when accidently bumping into them while concentrating on forms. ;)

16. ember

ember Valued Member

:D Just so long as it caters to both sides ;)

17. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

Surely no KSW do-jang would sub-lease to a business who practiced sexism in their enrollment policies. The only problem would be getting men to enroll in the pole dance classes in at least the same percentages that women enroll in KSW. It would help if there was a roll model for the men, anywhere. Has any one ever seen a male pole dancer, even in a movie or TV?

Another question would be if the music the pole dancers danced to would be more distracting to the practice of KSW than the dancers themselves. ("If I can't hear it over the music, it didn't happen. Make those ki-ahps LOUDER!") I think too we have a new definition of adult classes.

I think we should just stick to KSW, and not sub-lease to anyone in this dream do-jang, at least during classes. It might be cool to have other exercise classes, though. Maybe yoga in a side room, a meditation room, where you could really stretch out before or after class. I'd hate to take too much emphasis away from our art.

18. ember

ember Valued Member

:eek: I bet you'd get similar percentages. Role model: Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

LOL!

Now THOSE sound like good ideas.

Also, my TKD dojang had a weight room, separate from the main floor, with enough clear space to do some hyung / intro lessons.

19. kiseki

kiseki beating shadows since '06

Whoa, I can already feel myself getting dizzy. That sounds horrible. If you want to mess with peoples heads, why don't you put a mirror on the ceiling too and make the floor glass?

The rest sounds good though.

I'm surprised no one mentioned archery or knife throwing.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  20. Silentmonk

Its a big room so its not claustrophobic and it means that you can see your own body posture every direction you turn there is no hiding in my forms room :D

Archery and knife throwing are done outside on the beautifully landscape grounds surrounding, with lake and waterfall. :)