People with disabilities

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by steve Rowe, Sep 28, 2006.

1. steve Rowe

steve Rowe Valued Member

As Chairman of MASA I'm giving a talk at Terry Taylors UK MARTIAL ARTS FESTIVAL FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES A.K.A. BREAKING DOWN BARRIERS and the talk will be about the following:

I feel that the Martial Arts should have a national structure of assessors and clubs whereby anyone with a disability or 'special needs' can phone a number and go to a local instructor to be assessed. They can then be guided to a club or instructor that are able to fulfil the particular needs of that person, be it normal club training, club training with provisions or private training with a sympathetic instructor/club.

As my time is extremely limited I'm looking for interested people who would like to work on the project.

PM me or email me at info@martialartstandards.org

2. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Much Needed

This has been needed for a very long time. I'd love to help. An email has been sent. :D

3. Evo

Evo New Member

I am hearing impaired so would not be able to use the telephone, so an alternative would have to be provided (such as email) as well as a telephone number. I don't have many issues in my class due to my hearing impairment (unless someone takes over from my instructor and has a voice as loud as a mouse), but my last grading was a nightmare and I was nearly in tears by the time I had to go to the questions table.

4. steve Rowe

steve Rowe Valued Member

Thank you Evo - you're on the list! Did your instructor not make the panel aware of your disability before the grading?

5. Evo

Evo New Member

Hi, I asked my instructor to put on my grading card that I was hearing imapired, and I also asked to be on the front line. He put me on the back line, and then every time I turned to straighten my suit, I would turn back to see everyone in 'chumbi' but not know what had been said! before I could put my hand up and ask he said 'sijak' and off everyone started. It looked like everyone was doing Dan Gun so I started that but was then thinking 'I wonder if we are doing Dan Gun?!' as I had a crisis of confidence so it was a stressful grading to say the least. I am so anxious about my next grading as I will speak to my instructor again, but am concerned he will forget, this time we will be sparring too so if we are given instructions whilst my helmet is on then I'm done for!

6. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

I suggest that you bring this matter to his attention politely but forcibly and point out that if as a result of not hearing commands either you or the person you are sparring with were injured - HE would be responsible.

I suspect that will get his attention.

I have NO respect for instructors that still do things the way we all did them thirty years ago when injuries were frequent and it was about being tough. Martial arts CAN be both effective and safe and it's the instructors LEGAL DUTY (At least here in the UK) to risk assess what he is doing and to put into place the necessary procedures and safeguards to ensure that training is safe FOR EVERYBODY.

All the best.

Robert.

7. steve Rowe

steve Rowe Valued Member

Hi Evo
    His thoughtlessness caused unecessary distress, just a little training for your instructor could have made the grading a positive experience for you. I would like to see a MASA certification of what only needs to be a few hours training to help people like yourself, it's not rocket science - it's only common sense that you would expect a coach to have anyway, but.... it seems training and learning to have a little empathy is necessary.

8. Evo

Evo New Member

Thanks for your comments. I think one of the issues is that I look so 'normal' people don't seem to realise/accept I have a hearing problem! this happens in my daily life, not just when I train. I have been offered hearing aids but then the opposite happens and people..........talk..........really...........slowly............and loudly!

I think as you said all instructors should have some training, just for some 'common sense' awareness more than anything, such as if you are aware of a student who struggles to remember their left and right - offer a coping strategy such as 'remember the badge on your suit is on your left hand side', a little thing like that could make all the difference to someone. For students like myself, try and be aware that they need to see your face (I rely on lip reading), and tell whoever is taking the grading that they need to be clear and possibly repeat everything twice just in case. I know someone who is profoundly deaf who tried Tae Kwon Do, but she was anxious about having to shout, surely under the DDA as a club is providing a service, a reasonable adjustment should be made?

9. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Common Sense...A Rare Thing

Evo, I agree totally with Steve & Robert concerning your experience. If an instructor is unable or unwilling to make adjustments to their teaching approach for someone with a disability, then they should show that person respect by not teaching them. As Steve said, all that is needed is a bit of time and common sense. Unfortunately, common sense is very rare. I have many ideas concerning how to help instructors teach their disabled students. I am actually putting them in a book that will be done shortly. Then all I will need is a publisher. :D

10. Battle Sword

Battle Sword Valued Member

Great idea!

Will help many people, students & teachers alike.

Modifying is very important.

11. disabledhero

disabledhero jab jab elbow jab knee

i kinda young are all ages accepted

yes i have beeen gone for quite some time havent i

12. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Hi All

Just curious. Anyone here also born with Clubbed Feet? I struggled endlessly in Karate for 21 years to get a stance nowhere near right!!! :D :D :D Now, i have found my home within the Filipino Martial Arts, where 'Textbook Standard' stances are less of a focus that efficient and effective techniques.

Respect to all

Peter

13. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Realistic

Glad you found an art that you are enjoying and succeeding in. My instructor put less emphasis on my stance, while helping me find a solid working base. I still fall on my duff a lot, but I usually take my opponent with me. :D

14. sosjq

sosjq Valued Member

hello this is my fisrt time n my Sifu teaches wing chun and he has modtified the system to help me learn just 2 put it out their

15. Battle Sword

Battle Sword Valued Member

People with disabilities actually possess many hidden talents and unique qualities.
    Teaching, guiding, etc., should already be a joy for the instructor.
    A little extra patience and encouragement go a long way.

16. Light123

Light123 Give Up On Giving Up

I am mst likely my instructors first disabled student.