People bash aikido but I'm interested. Tell me about aikido and its training.

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Sirasoni, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sirasoni

Sirasoni Banned Banned

What's aikido like? Is it highly effective? I heard it's basically jujitsu without strikes?

2. AikiBudo

AikiBudo Valued Member

can't wait for Dave's answer :Angel:

3. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Try looking through some of the threads and FAQ's - what you heard is a bit like saying Karate is Aikido without the throws, i.e. totally incorrect. When you have read a few threads, ask some specific questions.

To be going on with, Aikido is very capable of being useful for self defence - but like all MA's it is only as good as the person using it. There are strikes in Aikido, which vary according to the style you study.

You need to look a bit more closely at terminology - some styles of Aikido are also 'jutsu' in their focus. :)

4. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Here's my advice, and its good advice even though I say it myself.

Open your web browser of choice, type in "Google"; add .co.uk or .com which ever best suits your geographical location. Search using the following key words.

"Aikikai" "Yoshinkan" "Iwama" "Tomiki" "Shin-shin Toitsu"

Also a selection of the following:

"Kazuo Chiba" "Minarou Kanetsuka" "O Sensei" "Kisshomoru Ueshiba" "Moriteru Ueshiba" "Gozo Shioda" "Koichi Tohei" "Tadashi Abe" "Kenshiro Abbe" "Yoshimitsu Yamada" "Morihiro Saito" "Hirohito Saito" "Seichi Sugano"

Also research "Onisaburo Deguchi" & "Sokaku Takeda" "Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu" "Kashima-shin Ryu"

Then... and always then remember "Google is your best friend"

I also advise you to find a reputable school and devote NO LESS than 12 months regular training. This will give you a general overview of the discipline.

If you want to ask "How do I know if a school is reputable?" then I'm sure we can answer that for you quite easily however, for now, do a bit of first hand research, find a good school and study, that is after all the ONLY way to actually know what Aikido is like.

As for people bashing aikido... I couldn't give a toss

Regards

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

:eek:
    Dude, what Dave Humm said. This deserves being made a "sticky."

6. aikiMac

Aikido training

Now go here for info on what aikido training is like.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  7. aikiMac

sword training

Go here for a thread on one aspect of sword training in aikido.

8. aikiMac

9. aikiMac

This thread on effective technique concerns aikido just as much as it concerns jujitsu. The two arts are part of the same "family tree," as it were, and you'll notice that many of the posters are aikido people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.