Pekiti Tirsia Kali announcement

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Tagapagbalita, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Tagapagbalita

Tagapagbalita New Member

The following is an official statement from the leadership of Pekiti Tirsia Kali:

Please let it be known that Timothy (Tim) Waid is no longer recognized as a representative or legitimate instructor of Pekiti Tirsia Kali. He is no longer authorized to teach under the banner of Pekiti Tirsia Kali and must remove all references of himself as a part of Pekiti Tirsia Kali. Tim Waid is no longer authorized to use any version of the Pekiti Tirsia Kali name and logo or that of Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje, Jr. in any way.

Any future certifications and promotions by Tim Waid of students, instructors, groups, and schools past the date of this announcement are not valid. These future certifications and promotions will not be recognized by Grand Tuhon or the Pekiti Tirsia Kali community.

Despite being given several warnings and second chances by Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje, Jr., Tim Waid has continued the destructive behavior below:

Tim Waid has continuously been discourteous and disrespectful to Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje, Jr. as well as other Tuhons and instructors of Pekiti Tirsia Kali. He has repeatedly manipulated the trust of members of the Pekiti Tirsia Kali community. His actions have undermined efforts made by others to unite the Pekiti Tirsia Kali community. This includes purposely dividing the loyalties of students in the Pekiti Tirsia Kali community for his personal gain.

Tim Waid has hindered the positive growth and collaborative efforts of the Pekiti Tirsia Kali community by making personal attacks on other officially recognized instructors. He has misrepresented his authority by falsely claiming that he is the only source for authentic Pekiti Tirsia Kali. Furthermore, Tim Waid has created bad relations with other martial arts styles and organizations by directly insulting members of those communities while representing his views as those of the Pekiti Tirsia Kali community.

This action of terminating the relationship of Tim Waid and Pekiti Tirsia Kali is an effort to protect the trust and camaraderie of the Pekiti Tirsia Kali community, maintain the positive values of the Pekiti Tirsia Kali community, and prevent bad relations with the entire martial arts community. We hope that this action will keep the future of Pekiti Tirsia Kali growing in a positive direction.

Effective Immediately

[​IMG]

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Tagapagbalita, welcome to MAP.

Are you posting this on every martial arts site you can find?

Who is Tim Waid and who do you represent?

Please bear in mind Ti Waid as far as I know isn't here to defend himself, so we need to be careful what we say and how we say it.

You say the letter is from the leadership Pekiti Tirsia Kali. Is that the head of the entire organisation, a branch of a single club?

I've seen this sort of thing in Doce Pares and to be honest it turned me off of training with several people.

If you're good, then let your skill do the talking.

3. Tagapagbalita

Tagapagbalita New Member

I have been asked to post this on several forums.

A quick look into PTK will tell you who Tim Waid is. I've been asked to make the announcement by those who signed the document so I guess I represent them.

I'm not making a personal statement, this is an official announcement from the leadership of PTK.

The letter is from the head of the organization. My post is copy and pasted verbatim from the message sent to me by both of the undersigned.

I understand your disgust at this sort of thing, but I'm just a messenger so don't shoot me :)

LOL I never claimed anything. I am merely making an announcement in behalf of an organization. I didn't write the announcement. My personal skill has absolutely no bearing in this matter.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Do you even know who Tim Waid is, what he is meant to have done and how your superiors feel this will affect their organisation?

I'm not sure I'd be posting something like this on every site I could without some sort of understanding.

Would you be happy to me to contact Tim and offer him the right of reply?

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Tim Waid is a pretty prominent feature (previously, I suppose) in PTK. He's the one often depicted training the Filipino military, decked out in the tactical webbing and fatigues, as was brought up recently in another thread.

This constitutes FMA-related news, but we're going to be very careful not to allow MAP to become a mud-slinging arena. I'll be watching this carefully.

7. Tagapagbalita

Tagapagbalita New Member

Of course I know who Tim Waid is. I only know what was mentioned on the announcement. I therefore cannot speak for the leadership of PTK beyond just posting the announcement.

Again, let me repeat what I have already said: I am only posting the announcement. I did not write it nor did I have anything to do with its content.

Go ahead and contact him. I won't reply to him anyway since I'm just the messenger. He should instead contact the leadership of PTK and discuss the matter with him.

8. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

So as say you are basically acting as some sort of official spokesperson would you care to say who you are and what your position is within the organisation?

Also is that link I posted the official website? If so then why isn't anything mentioned on there?

If it isn't the official site could you please direct us to one that is?

9. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

http://www.ptkgo.com/PTKGO/TIM_WAID.html

Oh dear, it appears the web site would tend to conflict with the grand pronouncement made by the OP. It proclaims Tim Waid is the leading recognized instructor of PKT. Which are we to believe? Who do we turn to for answers? How do we sleep at night with this confusion & conflict? Oh the humanity.....

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

What's to discuss?

He's welcome to post here. I have no idea about PTK politics in particular. But we're not going to be a public venue for you and then insist that he handle it elsewhere.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

So are you claiming to know nothing of why he has been expelled?

I do not believe you

If you are going to put something like this out there you need to put the full story - I speak from experience of a similar matter

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I just asked a PTK rep of my acquaintance to contribute if he feels inclined - he is one of Tim's boys so we may get a more balanced view by his presence if he chooses to post here

13. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Dam PTK and politics. Now there's a surprise :0

14. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

I know where you're coming from H. -- i think you're referring to the PFS shake-up. It's good to have details so that students can decide for themselves who they want to train with.

However, I thought the letter explained succinctly the reasons for separating Waid. I was aware of bad blood between Waid and other members of the 'inner-circle', but i (as a PTK practitioner) could never get any details out of anyone in either camp about specifics.

it says in the letter that "[T. Waid] has misrepresented his authority by falsely claiming that he is the only source for authentic Pekiti Tirsia Kali."

when you go to Waid's website www.ptkgo.com, it says (right at the top, in the banner) "the only source for the authentic system of Pekiti Tirsia Kali " -- it's also claiming to be the "official site of Grand Tuhon Leo T. Gaje Jr." I assume that GT Gaje considers this misleading information.

Waid also has an PTK instructional DVD series out. I wonder if that is part of the "personal gain" referred to in the letter.

apparently, the new site for the global PTK community is here:
    http://pekititirsiaalliance.com/
    but the letter has been posted this page yet.

15. embra

embra Valued Member

These things come and go, just that today in the internet age, every man, woman, cat, dog and budgerigar whinges about their MA organisation's little/big dramas.

I have seen no end of this kind of tosh in Aikido, FMA and Taichi. It's unlikely that anyone will make a wad of cash out of any of it, so you have to ask yourself, why the big bother and wounded pride? - a lot as far as I can see a lot is to do with ego, particularly when it comes to accepting one's limitations. This aint a big deal for some folk, but for some 'teachers' it can ruffle feathers.

In the end its best to go with who you find good to train with - which don't get roped into anyone's gack.

16. shootodog

shootodog restless native

For whatever reason the GT sees to pursue this course of action is none of our business. It is his right as head of the organization. He built it, he can do whatever he wishes with it.

But that is an internal matter that should not be discussed on public boards. It is akin to airing dirty laundry in public.

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Ideally, I'd agree with the above. It's a private matter. Except that it hasn't been handled that way. It never is when people become public figures, as GT Gaje and Tim Waid have become. Because Tim Waid has become one of the most visible representations of PTK in the world, any disassociation has to be public as well. Otherwise, regardless of what GT Gaje says behind closed doors, the public is going to truck along assuming Waid continues to represent PTK.

I agree with you about the dirty laundry. But given that one side feels the need to handle it publically, it's an unfortunate truth that the other side should get their opportunity as well. I'm not excited about it. I'd rather watch Steel Magnolias than read about FMA politics. But fair's fair.

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Got to love organisations that declare ex-communicates members can no longer grade their own students. Love to see PTK try and stop Waid from doing all the stuff the OP said.

Martial politics, man. Got to love it.

19. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I think there are certainly ways to handle matters such as this. Directing a drone to go join & then post this proclamation on a board where there is minimal at best PKT participation seems to be unnecessarily ugly. I am well aware many organizations tend to air their dirty laundry in public having done both FMA & Silat for quite a few years, I just find this a bit classless.

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I don't disagree. I'd be happier if this hadn't surfaced. But the question is what to do about it now that it has. Mind you, if nobody from Camp Waid steps forward to offer their take, it may be a moot point.