Pekiti Tirsia Instructors Banned from Teaching Karambit

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by MadMonk108, Nov 24, 2013.

1. BladeApprentice

BladeApprentice New Member

I wanted to train in PTK system. But with all these mess, I don't think I'll pursue it. Just saying.

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Not all PTK groups are involved in this kinda stuff. There are different PTK organisations. Just saying.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Agreed. What's more, individual teachers may not pay much mind to the politics of organizations anyway. I certainly am not up to date on the politics surrounding Doce Pares. And while I hear plenty about FMA politics in my role as moderator here, I have no interest in participating. I daresay I'm not the only teacher who feels that way.

4. Bozza Bostik

Not a teacher...far from it, but I feel the same way. I don't have enough time to discuss it or...quite honestly....interest.

I ignore it in the club too. Not this has been an issue for us.

BladeApprentice. If you are interested in PTK, then look around at what's available and see who they are with. McGrath's PT international could be an option. And there's systems heavily influenced by PTK (Sayoc), they could be of interest to you.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Atienza and Sayoc are both viable PTK variants, I believe. There are others (e.g., Illustrisimo) that share the focus on bladed weapons. So think about specifically what's drawing you to PTK and go from there.

6. BladeApprentice

Thanks, Boris and ap! Yeah, I guess there's really politics in every organization. I can always choose to ignore it. I will definitely check/research my options as far as learning PTK in my location.

7. BladeApprentice

Yes, I'm actually thinking of Kali Ilustrisimo, too, and Modern Arnis. But I'm leaning towards KI.

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I've spent a few years with a couple of Modern Arnis groups. Less emphasis on the blade, in my experience. That said, it's a good system. And a lot of the stick work will translate, with some work, to the blade.

9. BladeApprentice

I see. Since sticks are the foundation of FMA, should I go for a system that's focused more on sticks like Modern Arnis? And do you think it's possible/workable to learn two systems simultaneously? Sorry too many questions! :confused: Thanks! :)

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Good questions!

1) I'd say that sticks are the public face of FMA. Not necessarily the foundation. They're the public face because that's what many schools START with. And so, if you've only got limited exposure to FMA, the stick is probably what you're seeing. But various schools and systems might focus more on empty hand, knife, machete, etc.

I don't think you NEED to choose a school or style that focuses on stick necessarily. I do think you'll have an easier time finding a school that does so. That's certainly been my experience here in the States. Elsewhere, it might be different.

2) Yes, it's possible. But it'll really depend on the school(s) involved. I was careful to say that I trained with Modern Arnis groups for several years. Did you notice I didn't say I'd trained in Modern Arnis? With my Doce Pares background, I'm able to fit straight in with many different FMA classes and get the general principles involved. But I will routinely screw up or forego specific drills and sequences. For instance, despite spending years with Modern Arnis folks, I'm no more capable of doing the trademark "tapi tapi" drill from Modern Arnis than I was back in 2006. If you're going to advance in two systems simultaneously, you'll likely need to decide whether you're going to master the "fiddly bits" of each system independently or do what I did: Incorporate individual movements and concepts into whatever weird hybrid FMA approach you cobble together for yourself. I learned a few new parries, for instance, in that Modern Arnis club. I use those now. But I still screw up their basic 12 angles, because I default back to the 12 angles I'm used to from my first school.

So it really depends on your goals and how tolerant each school is of you blending your experiences.

Does that make sense?

11. BladeApprentice

That makes a lot of sense. Yeah, I guess FMA schools/systems that are more traditional start with sticks or are heavy on stick training.

I just thought that if I become good with sticks, it's easier to learn knife and empty hand techniques. I guess it's true at some point only. But realistically, sticks and knives are different--one is impact and another is edged.

With so many schools/systems, it's a bit difficult/confusing to choose. But I think I know what to do now. I'll go with Kalis Ilustrisimo for their blade-based curriculum and good footwork. Though, PTK has excellent footwork, too.

Thanks for the sound advice, ap! :)

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No problem. Though I think the deciding factor is likely going to be where you're located and what's available to you. When I started in 1989, it wasn't a question of specifically wanting to study Doce Pares. It was simply that Doce Pares was what the only school in town for FMA. (And back then, there were almost no schools for FMA anyway.)

13. Bozza Bostik

Where are you based if you don't mind me asking?

14. BladeApprentice

Where Kali originated, the Philippines! :)

15. Bozza Bostik

Oh ok...so you really do have a lot of choices then. :)

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Oh yeah. You've got your pick then. You may also find that the blade emphasis is stronger there than it is for, say, Boris or me.

17. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Where in the P.I.? The P.I. is a big place (contrary to what published maps claim. The Peters map is more accurate and it makes the P.I. out to be bigger than Japan). Are you the Metro Manila area? Which city?

18. BladeApprentice

Boris, ap, yeah, I have many options here.

shootodog, Quezon City.

19. shootodog

shootodog restless native

There's Pekiti in white plains. There's Ilustrisimo at The Ateneo. There's Yawyan at V. Luna. There's Abaniko Arnis near QC Circle. There's LSAI at UP.

20. BladeApprentice

I think PTK is now holding classes in Blue Ridge. For KI, I'm also considering Abenir Kalis since he's KI instructor, too. Although, he teaches in Mandaluyong but that's fine. Thanks, shootodog! I'll look into your other suggestions.