PC buying advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by GojuKJoe, Oct 19, 2005.

1. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

I'm looking to buy a new Pc so I don't need to share it with my family, but I'm not sure what to get. I like to play games a lot, so that'll be a big factor.

I found these on the Dell website, can anyone say much about them?

This is the cheapest one, with a few possible improvements

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dell...0115&rbc=D10115&s=dhs&sbc=ukdhsrsdimen_1100_3

This is their gaming machine

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/dimen_xps600?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Now my question is, will the gaming machine really be that much different than the cheap one, considering the price difference?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  2. BlueDragon1981

BlueDragon1981 In the House of Draven

I always say "what are you going to use if for"

I used to recommend dell. Now i say the only way to go is to build a custom machine, but thats me.

So if you are simply using it for word processing and the internet then the cheaper is better. If you are using it for Graphic editing or any other intense graphics items, or gaming then the gaming system would be better. I know that is not a flat anwser, but is the best suggestion I can give.

3. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

I'm pretty much using it for gaming word processing and internet. I'm not sure i want to spend that much on a PC though, if the difference isn't going to be that much. I'm only considering things at the minute anyway. Where would I look to build a custom machine? And what kind of prices are they?

4. fugepilot

fugepilot New Member

5. clemsontkd

clemsontkd New Member

Ok, so you tell him to build a custom even though, if he had to ask here, i doubt he could build one. (No offense) If he orders one custom built, theyll charge about 30% extra. Ok, word processing fine, interweb fine. What kind of games do you like to play? Graphic intensive like UT2k4 or Battlefield 2? You might want to do some research to see if you want to wait (if you can) for Windows Vista (the new 64 bit operating system coming out).

6. TKD=FUN

TKD=FUN New Member

dont touch dell with a pole imo, have a look at these sites good prices for the kit;
    nationwidepc
    and
    mesh

both great sites and you will find them much better than dell.

although i agree with the others about building your own pc if you have no experience in custom pcs have a look at thoes links.

7. Topher

Topher allo!

I just got a new MESH. I'd recommend them.

Well a expensive system aimed at graphics/design creation wont really runs games as well as a "gaming machine". Beware of that.

8. AuHg

AuHg McDojo Happy Meal

If you want the best just build it up yourself. that is if you know what to do.
    Overall, dell pc system is pretty good but aimed at more business/work type machines.

I recommend asus motherboard, AGP with 912Mb or more, at least 1GB ram, usb 2.0 or firewire ports. windows xp pro sp2, if you play chinese games, you can set up dual boot system. intel pentium 4 (3.0 >GHz). Hard drive 80GB sounds good, and these days you can buy portable external hard drive from maxtor and i think there is going to be a system with terabyte! If i want to play games: lots of memory, lots of disk space, DL+/-DVD combo drive with lightscribe technology. For the best gaming experience, 21 inch monitor.

ie heaps heaps of money needed.

9. Tyranith

Tyranith New Member

Build it yourself. It's not hard to learn how, it's useful to know how, you get a better deal and you know exactly what you're getting.

10. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

How do you work out thats their gaming machine?

It will be pretty lousy with the latest games!

Needs double that RAM at least, a GOOD grahics card (add £200 ?) and bigger hard drive, 80Gig will fill fairly quick.

11. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

Since you live in Newcastle, drop me a line via PM and i'll discuss custome PC building with you. I build custome PC's of all spec for people for very little cost.

Basically, we discuss your needs, I spec tyhe machine for you, you order the parts and i'll come round and buiold it for you, for about £15 plus travel expenses.

12. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

Sorry, got those mixed up, the gaming machne is the other one. I'll edit it now.

My friend also recommended Mesh to me today, so i'm gonna take a look there too.

13. SCP_Kensei

Dont go to mesh, or Dell or any of those other prebuild companies. The only one worth bothering with is Alienware and nobody can afford them.

14. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

hmmmm Alienware hmmmm

*spooky puts tongue away*

Sorry folks my geek side is showing

:D :D

15. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I just had a look at the £2,300 PC specs, does look good but not that good? I'd be pricing it up myself.

I do prefer building them myself, you know exactly whats in and it won't have XP Home on it, or with one of those pre-installed software cd's

16. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

A few recommendations to build it himself, the one thing to be aware of there (or a couple, really) is support. It's easy enough to build a computer anymore, but it's another thing to troubleshoot problems that arrise, sometimes that can get sticky, if one isn't techie minded, building one's own computer isn't really that cost effective or practical. The other is cost, yeah, the parts alone you can save money, but, if you are going to load it with Windows (legally) that's gonna cost....ohhhhhhh, thats gonna cost.

Computers have come down in price enough in the last couple years to the point where I no longer recommend people build their own unless it's a highly specific task. My home has 4 computers (sometimes 5) and the last couple I have replaced are I now replaced with brand name PC's. The only one I ever intend to keep a home-built system is the one in my recording studio...because of the hgihly specific tasks that are required of it.

I am a professional web developer, graphic artists and recording engineer, A+ certified with many years of experience, and I perosnally find the "support" required when something goes wrong with a home built to be just a hassle...so I switched to name brands partly due to the now lower price and partly due to the fact if something goes wrong I'd rather tell someone lese to fix it.

17. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

I'm not after an absolute uber machine for games, I just want an affordable, decent one, that'll allow me to play recent games, even if they're not at the highest specs.

18. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Thats why its an impossible question to answer, only you know how much you want to spend in relation to what you will get.

The cheapest gaming Dell PC would probably be fine, or you could get the cheapest bog standard one and get an XBox 360! :D

19. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Then get most any modern computer of a respectable brand name (not an eMachine or anything like that) with a decent amount of RAM (512 minimum) and a decent video chip and it will work for what you need. You needent spend a fortune or get a "gaming" system...loads of RAM and a good video chip will help in the gaming category emensely.

20. SCP_Kensei

Like I said GojuKJoe, drop me a line and I can help spec one up for you.

As for support, hardware support is easy, send back to supplier have them send a replacement. Software support, well most manufacturers WILL NOT offer software support anyway. those that do will charge you £1+ a minute for it.