Pavel's Beyond Bodybuilding...dun dun dun

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by GhostOfYourMind, Nov 25, 2005.

1. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Christmas is literally one month away, and my grandparents asked me what I want. Seeing as how I can't think of anything, who's read this book? I figure 365 pages, there's gotta be SOMETHING of interest in there, and since it's a christmas gift, I don't lose anything if I hate it or use it as a door stop. Soooo, opinions on this book? Already getting Rock, Iron, Steel from my girlfriend ( :love: ), and maybe wiggy's book from my parents, and have staley's muscle logic already, so this is like, my last resort I suppose. Opinions greatly appreciated...thanks!:)

2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Are you mad squire? There are LOADS more books worthy of your money than Pavels IMO. Check my resources thread! :)

3. GhostOfYourMind

Yes I'm mad...lol! I just remembered Infinite Intensity. Have you gotten your copy yet Adam? Maybe that's a better (and cheaper) route to go for better info.:D

4. Ad McG

Had it for ages! Definitely worth getting.

5. GhostOfYourMind

Thanks for letting me know.... :rolleyes: :D LOL! Is there a review running around here that I missed? Or would you like to gimme a mini review right now mate?:D;) Do it for the crippled kid! :Angel:

6. Ad McG

The intention was a full review of some of his books when the reviews section is up - that issue is STILL running! Even so, I did post that I had it and that it is great at least once.

My latest review:

Infinite Intensity by Ross Enamait

It's great. Buy it.

:D

7. GhostOfYourMind

I'm lovin' the amount of effort put into that...lol! Guess I'll ask grandma and granpa for Infinite Intensity. Thank you adam. :D

8. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Supertraining is also good. Power By Fred Hatfield and Power to the People by Pavel should also be in your list

9. GhostOfYourMind

already have PTP (thanks adam...;)) I'm going to ask for Infinite Intensity I suppose. :D

10. microhard

microhard Valued Member

How about we stop collecting books and begin training,
    what do you say boys? :rolleyes:

11. GhostOfYourMind

How about I need to recover from surgery first before I start training again, what do you say? :rolleyes:

12. microhard

microhard Valued Member

sorry, did not know that.
    Are you looking for post-PT?

13. Ad McG

What is the point in this post? Seriously :rolleyes:

14. DSDbronson

DSDbronson Master of Sports & Women

I can't suggest Pavel's Beyond Bodybuilding because I don't have it but it's at the top of a long list of workout books and implements I'm working on. Ross knows his stuff and puts it in all of his books. There's no telling what Pavel knows but he does usually break off some crazy nuggets in his books. If you really want to find out what Pavel knows Beyond Bodybuilding is supposed to be the book. I almost had it but I bought Punching With Power from his site instead for more($60) because I really want to get to work with these kettlebells I've got. I just took my adjustable weight clubbells out on the patio for the first time yesterday and had one of the best workouts I've had on them. The book sounds like it's going to be worth the $50 and the read but I'm not one of the ones that's read it so I can't give you the review. Review of "Beyond Bodybuilding" anybody?

p.s. how high on the list should Staley's stuff be?, how is Muscle Logic?, could you review please?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  15. GhostOfYourMind

His Martial Arts book is supposed to be very good and very useful for martial artists (as adam has said in his big resources guide). I have mixed emotions on "muscle logic" (much more good than bad though). It's a good book and the beginning definitely helps clear up questions I personally had, and he goes into some interesting key points of the EDT program (also, throughout the book there's Q&A boxes which are extremely useful, a compilation of a bunch of those is worth 1/3 of the price of the book IMO). For ~16 bucks USD it was a damn good deal. The only down side to the book is chapters 7, 8, and 9 are just workout programs (IE- 45 minutes per week, 90 minutes per week, and 135 minutes per week). On the plus side, those chapters have photos showing the start and finish position of specific exercises (like DB snatches for example).

Overall, I'd say his stuff ranks up there. It's a great book to reference back if you need to with EDT, and it explains the versatility of EDT (it can be applied to strength, hypertrophy, muscular endurance, etc. which is adressed in one of the Q&A boxes). So I give it 4 1/2 out of 5 stars (lost 1/2 a star because of chapters 7,8, and 9, which I don't find useful, but some people may).

16. DSDbronson

So what did you think of only working out 1-2 hours a week? Is that the part you thought wasn't useful? I couldn't get through all the implements in my little home gym in less than 2 hours unless it was one exercise and one rep a piece. The Crossfit workout is something like 2 hours a week. Don't have a problem with that. Was there a lot of other useful stuuf there?

17. GhostOfYourMind

No no no, I love the fact that with EDT I can work out as little as 45 minutes per week TOTAL (i'm a minimalist, I don't work out more than 15-30 minutes on a workout day if I don't need to, so EDT is ideal for me, or any other brief and abbreviated program...:D).

My whole point with the 45, 90, and 135 minutes per week programs are that I won't use them because I like to make up my own programs using the same concepts, and like to tailor my program to what training tools I have. So I think it could've been written without those 3 programs, but then again, they just may help someone newer.

Soooo, useful stuff in this book (no particular order):
    -Warmup explanation and how to do it thoroughly and its importance (for EDT obviously, but can apply to other programs in general I'd say)
    -explanation of EDT itself, and its principles (like CAT and chronological governor, was an article on t-nation, so you can find those out easily enough)
    -explanation of fatigue management (very good one at that)
    -four commandments of training (like progressive overload, blah blah blah and how EDT goes about doing it, which is interesting)
    -Q&A boxes for clarification of the EDT program
    -demonstration of A/B split with EDT (helps you understand how to set up a PR Zone with antagonist muscle groups.)
    -"3-5 method" to do after your EDT cycle and recover a bit.

Not useful:
    -Sample programs (I make up my own, some may find these workouts useful and easier than creating their own, I don't though)
    -Resources "index" (short, and websites I already knew about and avidly visit)
    -Testimonials in the front (although they are entertaining, and not "bad" to read, they don't contribute to the book really).

So basically, it's a great guide for EDT, even if you know how to do it. You may even pick up a tip or trick along the way (like how to tailor it for strength more than hypertrophy), and if you need clarification on an exercise, the start and finish pics may or may not help. If this book were 50 bucks, I wouldn't get it, but at 16 bucks total including shipping from amazon (use the support MAP link, I forgot to, so you must make up for my mistake...:D), it's a steal! There's probably other useful and non-useful things I forgot to include, so that's just a small not quite in depth review. I'd say the useful stuff in the book outweighs the non-useful by a decent amount though.

Any other questions?

18. DSDbronson

If you want one of Ross' book Infinity Intensity is the one to get. He covers his other stuff and then covers all the stuff that's out now that you'll find on the internet or fitness geek circles like MAP. It's basically a Kettlebell book using cheap adjustable dumbbells and fixed weight dumbbells to do all the stuff you can do with Kettlebells and more. It would be a quick book to get you up on everything everybody knows on here. I like his take on Density training. Train everything quickly but workout a lot and often. You might train 2 hours a day with Ross' stuff. I'm like that. There's way too much stuff to do and master including skill training and sparring sessions to put teeny weeny time limits on your weekly workout regimine. There's one day of rest with Ross and that's Sunday. If you want to know something more in depth about Ross' stuff I can help. I've got all of his books but his punching ebook. That or just go to his board and ask http://p101.ezboard.com/frossboxingforumfrm7 . I'd recommend Infinite Intensity if you're looking to cover all the angles and get going with one of the best trainers going.

19. GhostOfYourMind

Already got his underground guide to warrior fitness, which is a good book and very useful. So I can certainly see Infinite Intensity being the same, if not better. He's also a great guy to deal with, so it's all good. Thanks.:)