pavel's 5x5x5

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JKD_forever, Feb 15, 2006.

1. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

In his beyond BB book, one of the programs listed suggest doing

a) select 5 basic exercises (Dl, Squat, Bench, Pull-up, etc)
    b) perform all of them, 5 days a week (Mond-Fri)
    c) Do only 1 set per day
    d) bla bla
    e) bla

Anyone ever tried this method? (blessed I'm looking at you)
    This is perfect for strength and would probably keep overtraining under control, at least at the beginning, but would you get any hypertrophy from this at all?
    That's my first question. My second question is that right now I’m trying to concentrate on Deadlift primarily (I want to try to break 500 in couple of months if possible), but I don’t want not to do other two lifts. So, instead of doing Westside which is great but maybe has too many reps for my taste (supp exercises), I was thinking something more along these lines:

mon - Squat, BP
    wed - DL
    fri - Squat, BP
    mon - DL, BP
    wed - Squat
    fri - DL, BP

In addition to this I would add two - three supplement exercises, probly following 3x6

Any suggestions?

2. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Its actually a good program. I don't think you'll be wanting to add any exercises since you'll be very tired.

I'm doing a PTP variation now actually.

3. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Well, doing something like Squat, Bench and Row (deadlift and squat in the same session would whoop your booty probably if you do both 5 days a week, but then again, maybe not!) 5 days a week, for 5 reps and 1 set each, for however long your cycle is will probably lend to tremendous strength increases, and if you eat enough, you'll probably put on some muscle too due to the sheer frequency. Looks fun/good.

4. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I haven't tried this before but it sounds like an interesting week. I know Dan John has a couple routines kinda like this...he has the 1-lift-a-day and the 40-day-workout.

I'm currently doing the 1-lift-a-day program and adding in two supplemental exercises...so, I guess I'm doing a 3-lift-a-day program. Okay, so I've gotten off track.

I'd say that the volume would be a bit low for hypertrophy purposes. Of course, a lot will be determined by your caloric intake anyway. I think it could be tweaked a bit because I know you like a bit more hypertrophy to go along with your strength. If I was going to do something like your version, I'd actually pull an AM and a PM session if schedule allowed.

I actually don't see why you couldn't just go the 5 exercise route.

5. JKD_forever

Thx guys for comments,
    AM + PM is not an option right now.
    Bulk of my training is really for strength, but yeah some hypertrophy would be nice. But I never had a problem with that every time I get new 1RM I get bigger hehe.
    Samurai what do you think of that second program? Maybe I just need to add few isolations? I have DL and Squats only on some days, so I could take long breaks inbetween sets.
    Thx

6. Blake_AE

Blake_AE Valued Member

If you are only doing deadlifts, squat and bench, then you should really add a few pulling exercises. They wont effect your big three negatively and it would help you maintain some balance. Chins, pullups, rows, shrugs... you know the drill. Probably with your deadlift focus, just adding pullups would be fine or standing bent-over rows.

7. JKD_forever

yeah ofcourse pullups i forgot to mention them...

8. Blake_AE

Blake_AE Valued Member

:)

You're probably fine with that then. Overall, it sounds a little low on volume but who knows? Try it and see.

9. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

If you're asking what I think about your MWF program it looks good; however, I'd add in a movement or two. I think you might benefit from some Pendlay rows and high pulls for strength purposes. I might even substitute a push press for benching on occasion. You might even check out some front squats rotating with back squats.

10. JKD_forever

yeah that’s good advice. My only concern is volume ; on the other hand I’ll do cardio and ma and testing 1rm each week so that'll be tiring. This is one of those "try it and see for yourself" . Should be fun