Pattern applications... still not buying it.

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Van Zandt, Dec 6, 2009.

1. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Ermmm...:thinking:

No. Don't remember real fighting of any sort being fun.

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

A long, long time ago.................

I used to love fighting when I was a teenager. I guess it was a hobby.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You're still only 15 eh? :rolleyes:

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I wish! The serotonin overload of the 90's got rid of my aggression.:rolleyes:

5. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Bit late in on this discussion - this however will answer your question: http://www.raynerslanetkd.com/ARTICLES_jtkblackhole.html

I posted this link on another thread about applications before I stumbled onto this one - sorry about that, but it does answer the question pretty squarely IMO

Stuart

6. StuartA

I`ll flip that and ask if you have ever used a'bending ready stance" as a preperation to a side kick in a real fight or a 'palm upward block"?

I`m gonna be presumptious and take it the answer is no, therefore that begs the question - if one is training realistic applications within a dojang, against resisting oppoenents (so know they work) but (for whatever reason) the opporunity has never arose to use it within a 'street'* fight context, which is ultimatly the most beneficial application to train? One they will work if needed, or one that won't be needed full stop?

Matts sweep application (its one of mine too btw) may not be the 'traditional' app (or it maybe so we go further back than TKD) - but ultimatly, its a more beneficial application to train as it could prove useful one day - where as I doubt a 'preparatory position for a side kick' will TBH, not with fighting anyway.

* this is to distinguish fighting from sparring - they are not the same IMO! And an application of BRS as a sweep could well end a confrontation before it even becomes to fight anyway!

Stuart

7. StuartA

Totally disagree with this. If someone does the same thing wrong or unquestioning for 50 years - it is still wrong on the 51st year!

The martial arts thats most learnt or even formulated post 1900 had some major ingrediants missing, and so they continued to 'cook their cake', which tasted nice but missed the fact it was meant to be a 'strawberry' cake, because no-one every taught them to make it with strawberries - then an open minded student comes along, does some research and figures 'hmm - maybe this was meant to have strawberries on them now that we know about them' - adds them and by doing so challenges the original!

Nowt wrong with that - TKD should elvolve after all!
    Its not even disrepectful IMO - its simply the sign of the times - I KNOW that Gen Choi, when developing the Ch'ang Hon system had some major tools missing from his toolbox, things that the modern day allows us to have - I still think he did a great job considering this fact!

Stuart

8. StuartA

And therein lies the contradiction - sparring is 'fun' because its a sport - fighting is not fun because to can mean having your head stamped into the pavement by 3 guys!

Applications/hosinsul have their place between confrontation and actually having to fight - so in effect are way to help us 'not fight' at all - just defend and finish!

That said, SD can go wrong of course, so learning to fight is a good way to train - but sparring is still sparring, not fighting... unles its 'traditional sparring' of course :)

Stuart