Pathwalker Guild

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Saturnine138, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Well, I just logged on to PM you that I was going to do it and give you some details. As you wish though, it's your event.

The part of this that I find sad is that when talking, or sparring, with martial artists from other systems in the "real world", I have found them to be polite and inquisitive in a respectful manner. They have lived-up to the values I associate with training in the martial arts. That is worlds away from the experience of posting on MAP. When I meet people like that, I actually do feel like I am part of a community. Not so much here...

And BigMikey, you might find statements of "life saving" melodramatic, but I certainly have had my life saved a number of times by my training. Yes, the training has saved me from some but-kickings in the past, even given me a strategy to escape gun-wielding Peruvians looking to take hostages. But, The survival training, and the endurance and intent instilled, has saved me more times. Just one simple example is how an ex-girlfriend would have almost surely died of hypothermia (and quite possibly me too) if I hadn't had the training and knowledge to prevent it, it took her over 3 hours to begin to produce her own body heat, and that was just after getting caught in cold rain after a weekend of getting sunburnt sleeping on the beach. So, even safe old Britain can be deadly, you don't need gangs of marauders roaming around.
    Also, the physiology knowledge I've gained I've been able to use for the benefit of people's health far more than damaging them. That truly is a gift to me.

We are nothing? Making a statement like that about something you've never experienced is the height of pretention and ignorance.

I'll keep my account open as long as I am allowed, so that anyone coming Bristol way can PM me.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I learned exactly the same survival skills in the scouts

The problem is David that the the group comes here, spouts garbage and alludes to "mythic style" origins and won't clarify further. Do they have to? No - but when the claims themselves are as spurious as those being put forward it is a good idea to.

I see the photos on the site and am not only underwhelmed. This "unique" training looks like most other systems but in a hoodie. And when comments like "don't teach a predator how to fight you" trot out then I laugh my bag off.

You do not have any techniques not seen elsewhere - I 100% guarantee that. there is no such thing as a technique that in and of itself works - it is all about attributes. Boxers have about 5 punches and can kick the snot out of te vast majority of ANY fighter out there

You seem like a decent chap - but the behavior of your colleagues is obstructive, illogical and has holes in their account of things you can drive a bus through.

3. David Harrison

As well as instilling the wherewithal to recognise the "sleep now" reflex and fight through it to hike to safety? I wasn't a Scout when I was a kid, but it sounds like they're a good group! :)
    That was, BTW, a very basic thing, I wanted to give a simple example that could happen to anyone. I know people who have died of hypothermia in the UK.

I really have been honest about what I know personally. But, even if tomorrow I find out it was made up 40 years ago by sysnthesizing other MAs, it wouldn't change my view of it's benefit to me.

Most of those photos are of beginners learning techniques for the first time. I agree about the fighting techniques being in other systems, I said way back in this thread that to my mind it is a number of training methods, teaching strategies, and exercises that are unique, as far as I have seen.

I completely agree about the boxing comment - learning how to take hard strikes whilst still giving them out is more useful than any non stress-tested technical finesse IMO.

Thanks for saying so, and I'm sorry you find my colleagues to be like that. It's a shame Simon went back on his invitation, people could have had a chance to decide first-hand what I was like, and pass that on to other readers of the MAP boards.

Maybe some day a MAP member will come around my way, and get that first-hand experience (sigh... I guess I'll have to say that this is categorically not a threat! :) )

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I'll be honest I would actually take you up on that if I was nearby! If you are ever in Calgary I extend you the same invite

5. David Harrison

Thanks Hannibal, it's nice to end this on a positive note!

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

So MemberSec, A Pathwalker and Marbo Member were all the same person?

So much for truth, honour and honesty.

7. David Harrison

I don't know about Marbo member.

But A Pathwalker and MemberSec are most definitely different people, they just share the same computer.

8. Dean Winchester

How do you know this ?

Just asking out of interest.

9. David Harrison

Because I know them both, and have done for over a decade.

10. Dean Winchester

I'm just wondering about the computer, how are you sure it's two people using one PC?

To be honest they'd of been better off just clearing that up with the admin here.

Overall whoever posted under those names hasn't done themselves or the organisation any favours and a bit of clarity would of helped.

11. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Was the invite withdrawn?

If not, as it looks like you just said you were going to go until the invite was withdrawn, it would look odd not to attend now if the offer was still open!

Just sayin'

12. David Harrison

Have a look at the previous page.

Simon withdrew his invitation before I had a chance to say either way. He said he didn't believe I was going to attend, so he withdrew the invitation. Which doesn't seem too logical to me, but it's his event, so...

Seems to me he never wanted me there in the first place, he obviously expected me to refuse. Withdrawing his invitation before I responded gives him the opportunity to accuse me of never having any intention of attending, and he will probably say that I'm just saying I would have because I know I won't now. Not a bad tactic. And he's right that I won't attend now, seeing as he a) couldn't make up his mind and stick to a decision, and b) was quite rude about it.

All I can do now is keep my invitation to meet me in Bristol open.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  13. Simon

Simon Moved on Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This thread I'm afraid is a joke.

Three members of the pathwalker Guild were banned because they had duplicate accounts, which is against the TOS.
    They chose not to answer why by e-mail, so I was forced to ask the question here. Still no reply, even though I know the thread was being read by them.

David, it is strange you have now sprung up to say you were going to teach at the MAP meet.

Again diverting attention away from answering the several questions posted within this thread.

What is not going to be permittted is this area being given up for you to sound off.

If the thread continues along the lines it is currently going, then it will be locked.

If you want to teach so bad then what will you be teaching?

14. David Harrison

No, that really is not on, Simon.

Do not call it a diversion please, what am I diverting attention from?

What am I sounding off about? I thought I was finally having civilised correspondence with a couple of MAP members.

I had always intended to take you up on the offer, but wanted to take some time to consider it, given the hostility of this thread. If you have access to my log-in details, you will see that I only logged-in once since you gave your invitation (if memory serves correctly). The one time I did log-in was after seeing a friend off who was leaving the country, rather late/early morning, so I it was not a prudent time to post or PM you.

I assure you, I would not have turned up with "ego", only a desire to teach and be taught. I really don't know why you decided to dash that, but please don't try to say it was my fault.

15. Simon

Just to be clear, we were alerted that A Pathwalker, MemSec and Marbo were sharing the same computer, or had duplicate accounts.
    A polite e-mail was sent to A Pathwalker asking for an explanation.
    After a few days there was no reply. We would not normally ask for an explanation in the thread, but I could not send a PM, as A Pathwalker did not have enough posts for him PM service to be activated.
    The decision was taken to ask the question in the thread.
    Today A Pathwalker was started to reply, but chose not to actually post it. It was obvious he had read my request, but ignored it.
    As there was no explanation we had little choice but to ban all three members.

I hope that explains the course of events surrounding MemSec, Marbo and A Pathwalker.

16. David Harrison

That's fine Simon, you are the mod, and them the members.

I am not them, and would not speak for them. I was not diverting attention, it's just not really any of my business what they do, nor what you do.

17. Simon

No problem David. Bans would not normally be discussed, but as my requests to them were within the thread questions were inevitable.

It is only fair in this case that you guys are given an explanation.

18. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Agreed there is nothing they are doing that we haven't seen before. I'm also willing to bet that the majority of their martial arts training is based off asian martial arts. That appears to be the knowledge base of the original people involved and makes the most sense.

Certainly more so than the Celtic, Arabic etc nonsense.

19. David Harrison

Thankyou for sharing that explanation.

20. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

David - The member LilBunnyRabbit wanted to come down and train with you guys but you wouldn't let him.

So it's funny you saying "maybe some day a MAP member will come around my way".

Are you saying that MAP members are welcome to come down and train with you and your students? If yes, I wish I was closer; however LilBunny and any others who are close please take him up on it and give us your opinions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.