Pathwalker Guild

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Saturnine138, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ex Pathwalker

Ex Pathwalker Valued Member

Shistory

I will answer your questions another day if that's ok Peter? Thanks

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yes, I was including the main instructor in that. I wasn't there, but that certainly sounds bad. How did anyone, including the person I was living with, get home? Did they get their phones back?

It didn't sound like a fun time, but this is the first time I've heard anyone saying they left because of it. I think maybe you are not aware of some of the other factors involved.

I'm not fluffing it up. It got better. I'm not saying that I didn't miss anyone that left, or appreciate what I learnt from them.

I completely agree. I have never said, or thought, otherwise.

I can deal with that. It's not a problem. You are ranting like a paranoid. Still, at least Nazi Berlin is a better comparison than Michael Howard.

How do you know this? How do you know who from other systems I have sparred with? Who would expect to do "just a couple of grades", as you said, and expect to be master of anything? I'm truly glad your technical ability has been awoken.

I would never be so stupid as to claim to be unbeatable. That word describes absolutely no-one ever on the planet. I am happy to learn from other systems. I do not live in a bubble.

The sweaty half-naked men in lycra put me off.

Point out where I have pedalled backwards.

You're welcome.

You know, the one sad thing about your post to me is that if we trained together, I would probably see you on the street and still consider you a friend. You've made it very obvious that you do not feel the same way.

3. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

David... what kind of tournaments have you been WATCHING? Last time I checked most traditional MA tournaments had fully clothed folks.

MMA isnt the only game out there.

Jus sayin...

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Oh Mikey, you really need to get to the UK. It's oh so different here.:woo:

5. Bigmikey

Well.. I was thinking about it... but now I'm scared...

6. Bigmikey

Great, now I have this image of sweaty, half nekkid british TKD guys kicking each other in the heads... and I really dont WANT that image... like AT ALL!

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'll have you know I am a Kung Fu guy. :)

I find half nekkid is oh so over dressed, don't you?:)

8. Bigmikey

..... mommy.... make the bad man go away.... :(

9. David Harrison

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

And now David trots out that old "MMA is a bit gay for a hetero man such as myself" canard. Nice work.
    This Marbo lark is looking better and better every day. :)

11. David Harrison

Now revisit that image, but with the TKD guys naked on the bottom half.

...but get a sick-bag ready first...

12. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

This abandonment accusation is actually very serious. Proper commercial tour companies have been sued for less and lost the case. If a teacher organises a retreat and promises transportation, the teacher has to make good on that. There really aren't many, if any excuses for that sort of behaviour.

Similarly, what possible reason does a martial arts teacher have to confiscate people's phones? I would have happily told anybody demanding my phone where to go. The fact that students seem to have simply surrendered their phones has me really worried about the type of people joining Marbo/Pathwalker Guild. In fact I'd say that's one more action that puts Marbo firmly in Scientology territory.

I could understand students being told to turn their phones off or to leave them in their rooms. But confiscation? Just can't think of a valid reason for that.

13. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

Not man enough Mickey, fair doo's, fair doo's!

14. David Harrison

Aw, c'mon!

Some people have begun to bring a little well-needed humour into this thread.

I never mentioned homosexuality, why did you?

It's the skin-tight skimpy shorts that personally I find a bit creepy.

I am happy to train with people of all sexualities, sex, and gender.

15. Bigmikey

A brother's gotta draw the line somewhere. I draw mine as watching dangly bits flop about. LOL (eeewwww, but lol)....

16. Ex Pathwalker

Ex Pathwalker Valued Member

Peter, I've tried to clarify some of the points about the training 'do' in post #700. Please see these and come back to me if i have not answered you adequately. Regarding the Dave from the Yahoo pages - i learned of what happened here as my instructor talked about it and I assume he had been informed by the head instructor at Bangor about what happened (same head instructor as today). I understand he got hurt and tried to claim on their insurance as he explains. Don't know much more detail than this but i have been aware for some years (because of the age of the thread) that this happened, and having since met people who were in that group at that time.

I totally get his suggestion of closing ranks - the group have done that consistently throughout the years, both in and out of the club environment, even so much as stopping people interacting in public places (ask Dave about this). They probably told everyone in the group that if they trained with him or supported him or even spoke to him they would be expelled from the group, stripped of their grades or similar. This is similar to my talk of reprisal which i will go into directly Peter in another response. In terms of Yahoo Dave talking about threats, well this sounds believable to me like he has probably been told 'e-group' would mythically appear in their shining robes to uphold the honour of the Pathwalker Guild (sound like lord of the rings don't it?), but as Dave Harrison is a current senior instructor for the group, you're probably best asking him who this bunch are (wait a minute, he won't be able to tell you because of the protocols).

I expect the Bangor group didn't have insurance in those days, the club i was in didn't and it was an 'official' club (although i understand they've wisened up to this now). Suppose if anyone needed to verify this with yahoo Dave, there is a contact email there for him.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Much in the way that inviting someone you are arguing with to come and spar...is a threat, mentioning that you don't want anything to do with half naked sweaty men in lycra is basically a veiled assertion of how hetero you are and how MMA is a bit gay.
    It's such a tired, old and obvious tactic that it's just not worth using if you want to be taken seriously.

What do you mean "creepy"?
    What's "creepy" about some training attire (that most MMA people don't actually wear anymore...board shorts being a more common)?

18. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Admittedly the old Pancrase outfits were a bit much, but Vale Tudo shorts aren't so bad. And as has been said, board shorts are much more common.

19. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Voted "Most legit thing said in entire thread."

20. David Harrison

I'll save anybody the bother of asking.

I have never heard of this happening. If that were the case, why haven't I been threatened, or stripped of rank, or expelled for meeting and communicating with a good number of the ex-members you are so valiantly championing?

Yes. Yes it does. And it shows me that you have no idea what you're talking about. Thankyou.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.