Pathwalker Guild

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Saturnine138, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

And actually being a bit of a self-important git about it too

David the sole reason we keep asking the same question is that you have not answered it with anything other than fluff.
    It is not "reading comprehension" or an issue with "spy glasses" it is all down to the fact YOU have (will) not provide an answer

Of course you are not obligated to, but then why keep coming back and acting offended by the fact we think the org is talking crap if YOU will not do anything to rectify that?

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Really?

I sincerely don't feel I've been the most self-important git in this thread.

Please Hannibal, the only time I've acted offended is when people have: 1) tried to claim that I am some kind of brain-washing cultist 2) Tried to drag my brother into an argument he would have no interest in, and 3) had the bad-manners to mention or publish private correspondence without first asking permission.

The one person who could answer some of these questions is very unlikely to now, because of Polar Bear doing number 3.

I've been fine about any of the historical talk.

I came back this time to answer ex-pathwalker's points.

The sooner people here get over it and stop trying to make some kind of "expose", the sooner I'll never darken your collective doorstep again.

[EDIT:] Ok, I feel I have to clarify the word "expose": I've already said I'm not bothered about any of the history talk. I'm coming back to refute claims of cultish behaviour or anything that might lead people to think that I, or the organisation as a whole, do not take the safety, training, or human rights of our students seriously.[EDIT]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  3. Ex Pathwalker

Ex Pathwalker Valued Member

Shistory

David Harrison;1074664950]Ah, someone else who has...

...The original teaching was in Arabic. I have seen some of this...

OK, who showed you this? and what did it prove about the validity of the Arabic lineage?

I've met a couple of people of Arabic descent who added weight to the possibility of this.

OK, who were they?

I do not actually know much about why Jon H left, there seemed to be a lot of gossip and backstabbing going on at the time. I never had any desire to get involved. I've met him a few times since, and it has been perfectly cordial, civil and relaxed (OK, I'll come back to this one...)

Seeing as you know my name, are you willing to share yours? (I'll come back to this one too soon)

...every now and again, to see if you have more questions....

4. David Harrison

This ground has been covered.

"who showed you this? and what did it prove about the validity of the Arabic lineage?"

Surely you can guess? I stated quite clearly that I'm not looking to prove anything to anyone.

"who were they?"

I stated quite clearly already that they had nothing to do with Marbo/Pathwalker. They had not heard those words before in the context of MAs.
    I stated quite clearly that this was something these people, or their elders, did privately, and they shared some things with me in private. On this one, all I can suggest is that you befriend some Arabs/Berbers, or their descendants, enough to gain their trust.

5. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQvl3GsBgos"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQvl3GsBgos[/ame]

6. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Let's be clear, your organization DOES display some cultish behavior as do many organizations (and not just martial arts).

The real question is it destructive or damaging behavior? Honestly, we don't have enough information at this point to make a determination one way or the other.

For example, if we were hypothetically to find out that there were specific restrictions placed on people's diet and/or sleep. Or group dynamics were used to try to affect people's self-esteem. Or people were isolated from family or friends...etc.

But there is no evidence of any of those things just like there is no evidence of the history of your martial art.

7. David Harrison

Llamageddon, I'd rather be compared to Scientology than Michael Howard.

I hope you're not trying to compare anyone here to Paxman.

8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Oh,me too!

And why weren't they at Culloden?

9. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Regardless of the content of this thread, I am genuinely glad to see a bit of humour finally permeate through :)

10. David Harrison

Well there's evil and then there's evil!

Me too, BTW :)

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

As I said earlier I can only surmise, guess or deduce (take your pick) about the physical aspects - not what is being discussed at this exact moment though

The history, which you say does not bother you to talk about, IS the issue at hand. Clearly you do know something of it, so why not share it? Fact is that the history is inexcorably linked to the credibility of it as an art. If younger a bunch of scrapers together and form a composite then amazingly most have no issue

Make a load of tosh up - which Marbo undeniably has - and EVERYTHING becomes questionable. If you cannot tell the truth about your genesis, why should we believe anything else?

12. David Harrison

I disagree.

For me, the primary import of the history of any MA goes only as far back as my experiences, and the experiences of people I know and trust, of it in dealing with real violent situations. Of secondary import is how it has affected myself and others in terms of physical and psychological benefit.

I'm a utilitarian at heart, I find beauty in things that work beautifully.

I find it funny that people here seem absolutely convinced that I am holding back some big secret. I'm not.

13. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Well funnily enough, my club is based in an Islamic centre and one of my top students is an arabic scholar. One of his main areas of interest is the Alhambra. Yet, amazingly enough he thinks everything you have said couldn't possibly be true.

So now we've debunked the Celtic origin myth and now the Arabic origin myth. Any other fake myths you want to come up with now?

The Bear.

14. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

How do you know it works beautifully?

From what you stated in your earlier posts, you have 12 years training in only this martial art (Marbo) and there is a strong possibility that some of the material is made up. Why could someone think this? Because if someone is willing to make up their history, then its not a leap for them to make up their material too.

There is also evidence from that other guy's website that some of the material comes from Asian martial arts and by the photos maybe some of their previous teachers may not have had the necessary foundations in those arts.

I also believe there is most likely a fair amount of role playing and compliant training and you may have a false sense of confidence in the training.

Again I know you disagree because you trust in the experiences of people you "know and trust".

I hope that trust isn't misplaced.

15. David Harrison

So, one person thinks there could not possibly be any link to Arabic lands.

Meaning the people I've talked to, and the Arabs some Marbo members have stayed with in their homelands must all be liars then.

I was just checking this thread during the ad-break in "Islam: The Untold Story" on the UK's Channel 4. I suggest anyone who believes all history is known, or that most all of history is more than theory, should watch it.

16. David Harrison

Who's making things up now?

...and my own.

It has been demonstrated not to be, I have no fear of that.

17. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Yes but we know that your history is definitely false. History may not be known but atleast they don't assert false history without facts.

The Bear.

18. David Harrison

It's interesting that you see yourself as using the methods of academia, yet you are happy to accept the opinion of one person if that opinion agrees with your own.

And, if you've been reading this thread, I'm not asserting anything. I am able to keep an open mind, I can only work with the evidence I have. Nothing is certain.

You should watch that programme though, if you have any interest in history. It's rather interesting.

19. David Harrison

If you believe that, then you know nothing about history.

It has got a lot better in recent years, but many false histories have been asserted without facts in the history of Western academia.

20. Ex Pathwalker

Ex Pathwalker Valued Member

Shistory

This ex-member you refer to left partly because he was sick of being messed around the by the main instructor, which goes back to the dodgy goings on in the organisation, dodgy history, high ranking members getting blown out for no reason, he was messed about and wasn't the first. No need for you to guess anymore, that's not the best practice when you've not met someone. If you never met him, how do you know his side of the story? (no need to answer). Sound like you've been told another marbo story again and swallowed it whole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.