Patch Adams on training!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by TheMachine, Jan 5, 2006.

1. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

found this article quite interesting!

Patch Adams on training

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was laying in bed watching this Robin Williams movie over the weekend when I suddenly found myself glued to the scene when the lead character was stating that doctors aren't just supposed to delay death, but rather improve the quality of their patien's life. it just dawned on me "Isn't that the same thing strength coaches and fitness trainers should do as well?"

Many of us first entered the gym to improve our physiques. As we progressed, our confidence and self-esteem grew as well. Others, started exercising for health reasons ( As Patch put it, to "delay" death) and as they progressed, they were able to do other activites such as eating more or improved stamina.

So what's the point of this artcile you may ask. Don't just go in the gym and focus too much about trying to achieve that six pack, or lifting that weight you have set your mind on. there is much more to that. Exercise to feel good about yourself, in order for you to do things you want to do. A guy who has finally hit his target weight definitely has more satisfaction than that gym rat who is constantly trying to "tone and sculpt" his body.

Life is beautiful, so go out there and do everything in moderation. Exercise to improve your health, so you may enjoy a ballgame with your kids, exercise so that you may wear that dress or jeans you long to wear, exercise, so that you don't have to worry about back pains. There's so much out there for us to explore, so go and take it!