Passed my 4th kyu today!

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Archibald, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

After 13 months of training I finally graded to 4th kyu today. I feel like I've taken a big step so I felt like telling everyone :)

I filmed it so I should have the vid up in the next few days to give everyone a taste of 21st century Tsutsumi Hozan ryu.

2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

well done ...you know enough to get yourself in trouble now !!!LOL!!!

Good achievement keep up the hard work

Smurf:rolleyes:

3. Keikai-Tsutsumi

Keikai-Tsutsumi New Member

Congratulations and well done. You have moved quite away along and now it gets interesting.

I still remember the great feeling when I finished my 4th kyu, some 34 years ago. 3rd kyu is a lot nicer grading. Have you noticed that there is at least one nasty technique in each of the kyu grades? Usually it is nasty for the attacker's fall.

Please give my regards to Paul.

4. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Haha yea I had a good look at 3rd last night and it definetly seems like a lot of fun. Ko soto gari against a high punch has kind of turned into my default reflex now so at least that's something I don't have to worry about.

Which nasty technique were you thinking of from 4th? I could think of more than one lol. Kata guruma, tomoe nage with tori landing on you, morote gari...

I will give my regards to Paul when he gets back - he left for Europe this morning to spend Anzac day with his father over there.

All the best - Jon

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Very cool. Congrats! :)

6. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Well done arch best wishes for your future training.

regards koyo

7. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

Had a look at my original post and I should probably clarify that it's been 13 months training FOR 4th kyu.........not 13 months training in Ju Jutsu haha. But you probably already knew that :rolleyes:

8. Keikai-Tsutsumi

Keikai-Tsutsumi New Member

I always found the tomoe nage to be the worst as the attacker. I never could get the bridge right so ended up with my ankles shorter every time. The 7 on the ground were no fun with up and down and up and down.

As for the Ko Soto Gari against the high punch. I have found that by grabbing the opposite lapel and using your forearm to leaver down on the shoulder helps.

9. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Well done, keep at it.

10. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

I hope that the high standard at which you pulled off your techniques more than makes up for my amateur cameramanship.

11. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Haha, well I should have the vid up on Wednesday and people can judge your camera skills :) Although I liked the intermission with baby Grace :p

Greg - I had that problem with the tomoe nage to start with but my bridgefalls suddenly got a lot better lol. The up and down of the newaza was definetly the exhausting part of the grading....I got about 5 of them in a row during the reflex section...then of course I did the same technique about 3 times so that's another three times up and down, up and down...

Looking forward to 3rd where there's much less time spent on the ground :p

Oh and cheers for the tip on ko soto gari. Will try it out on Thursday at training.

Best regards - Jon

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  12. Pi Qua Quan

Pi Qua Quan Valued Member

good work

you must be proud,lol, i'm still looking for an instructor for my martial art...man is there an easier way of finding instructors for Pi qua quan?

13. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I suppose it's not going to help you that I've never heard of that art, lol.

Sounds like a form of Kung Fu? (total stab in the dark)

14. Pi Qua Quan

Pi Qua Quan Valued Member

the art is either kung fu or a martial art but that isn't important right now. Well thank you for replying at least.:)

15. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

To the OP, congrats! I'm 4th kyu too, and likely to stay that way. For us it takes about 18 months to get.