Part of taekwondo problem?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by S&CMAN, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Curiosity, have you ever heard of a 1st Dan inst?

I think it would be unpractical, due to General Choi's rule about teaching half your grade. 1st dan would only be able to teach up to blue belt etc.

Though I have been an assistant inst a few times, I think running your own club at 1 dan would be a bad choice.

2. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Sorry, wasnt meant to sound 'overly defensive'.. was just playing the other side of the coin. But Im not sure what you would expect instructors to do... should they explain they follow a system by General Choi and point any and all minor differences or something, to new students?

Thats not really what I asked!

I agree with this.. my only point was simply in regards to what you said about instructors "not being up front about following all the system" - as it seems all the ITFs believe they are 'following the system', yet, are not (if you see what I mean).

LOL, maybe.. but in this case, it was simply due to the discussion.. if not following one 'guideline' means they are not following the system, then not following a different 'guideline' must mean the same. Perhaps it grinds me a little due to the way some ITF'ers (and Im not refering to you or anyone in particular) seem to think, non-ITF'ers arnt doing General Choi's art anymore!

Stuart

3. StuartA

Thanks. And yes, i was really refering to photos of that era with kids under 13... moreso, BB's! I have never seen any I dont think.. if you know of any, perhaps you could post one or two.

I would think so too lol

Stuart

4. StuartA

What about if you do share this premise, teach all the stuff at the right levels.. but simply feel a 14 year old shouldn't warrent a full BB?

Interesting. By dropping the minimum age for 2nd dan, do you mean they dont have a minimum age anymore for that rank?

I wonder what made them come to these decisions!

Stuart

5. StuartA

My old org use to always do pre-tests.. and TBH I never saw the point of them.. not for the reasons you state, but because I feel if an instructor is in a certain org, then he would know the criteria and standards expected and the pre-test seemed to be a way of ensuring all the students 'comformed' to the requirements... but the instructor would already know those requirements and so its like an org saying... your instructor is under us.. but doesnt know how to instruct to what we require!! Go figure!

Stuart

6. StuartA

I dont, but most clubs do... so whatever there version of 'free sparring' if, following the guidelines, it shouldnt be taught under blue belt OR are we making distinction between what we know is 'free-sparring' and competition sparring (what most see as 'free-sparring anyway) - which, sort of voids my point if so :)

Stuart

7. StuartA

No, the results are given out a week or so later, as we have to work out certain things. Basically it works like this.

Each Dan examiner marks each student on 4 of the 5 seperate areas: Patterns, Sparring, Self defence (this area includes Traditional sparring etc.) and destruction. A student would have already completed the 5th element prior to the test, simply as its time consuming (theory) - this is the theory and roughly takes about 2.5 hours to complete.

On the marking sheets, each area is split into all the different elements: ie. one-step, hosinsul etc.

After the exam, students testing are broken off and sent home and the panel have a discussion. Obviously the sheets have to be added up and then averaged, so that is done in the following days. The discussion is usually regarding if any of the examiners felt a student has failed or should fail, then they would state why and the other examiners would also give their opinons and this.

Providing all is well, each examiners sheets are totted up and a mark for each section given. Then an average from all 5 sections are worked out and this forms the final totals. The different section marks are important on the final mark because, we have 3 levels of pass - pass,merit or distinction.

To get a merit, you must have scored 70% overall and each section must be above 60%. To get a distinction you must have scored over 80% with each section over 70%. So a student can get say 81% and still just have a normal pass because one area was lower than required for that level. If a student has fallen below the minimum mark in one of the sections, they will have failed the exam.

If someone passes, they are presented with belt, cert etc. a week or so later.. as the examiners travel from around the country, they are not usually there, but often pass on 'congratulations' to the students via me and occassionally do turn up for the presentation sometimes.

Whilst this may all seem a complicated system, the aim is to get a student who is rounded in all areas.. not just great at sparring but poorer elseware, and I can do it because, unlike most orgs, our Dan gradings take place maybe once or twice a year and only one or two students are grading at a time, so its easy to watch and remain focused on all the individual elements/areas.

Stuart

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  8. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

I like it- seems quite detailed and fair

For me as far as I remember it was a seminar 0800-1200. This was just to kind of break the ice with everyone and go over things.

Lunch, then at 1300, individuals would come up for patterns, Hwa Rang, Choong Moo, a pattern of the table's choice. Which was Do-San, then one of our choice.

3-2 and 1 step sparring.
    1vs1 free,
    1vs2 free
    Destruction which was a side kick, and one hand technique I think I opted for knife hand strike.

The only theory was what was asked when brought forward. Most of it was meaning of belts, meaning of black belt , what black belt means to me as an indivudal, and future hopes in TKD.

Just shy of one month later I got my cert. The belt i have never actually got, the Instructor was adamant that we had to attend another seminar (which cost about £18, I was 15 at the time)
    To get the belt presented, I said I would be fine with getting it in class… and he

A month or 2 later I had decided to train at a different club he subsequently found out, and insisted I had to come back to get my belt (I should add here the belt was already paid for in the initial fee) which off course I wouldn’t do.

Anyways……. I got a belt at the new club I was with, and the above has really been my only bad experience in TKD. Though I should mention the instructor who took the Tuesday class, seen myself in the street and was upset that I had left, and said I was always welcome to come on a Tuesday class, but I didn’t want to put him in a bad position.

Though as far as testing went I thought it was a “decent” test.

Raz

9. StuartA

The full details of the test (what they have to do etc.) can be found here:
    http://www.raynerslanetkd.com/RL_Black_Belts.html along with videos of every BB exam we have ever held.

While I understand many orgs like to present belts at an event (usually a tournament or BB presentation night), the simple facts that a) you earned it and b) you paid for it - should have meant you got it anyway! Sure, the instructors nose may have been put out of joint a bit, but that doesnt change the facts! Bit odd you were presented witha cert in class and not the belt - usually they go hand in hand whether in class or at a presentation event!

Stuart

10. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Yea you can imagine my parent's fury. His line was that it takes a while to get it from his supplier w.e

Though now im waiting to find out if my current org is changing suppliers or not before ordering a BB suit etc,
    But ill be a bit :( if I have to go to the Scottish Open on the 22nd witth a TAGB suit -.-

Raz

11. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Your implying that I meant KSW was better...I certainly did not intend that. Each art has it's own skill set, and I was commenting on that fact. I wouldn't expect a BJJ practitioner to be proficient in weapons, and I certainly wouldn't expect a KSW practitioner to be nearly the grappler that a BJJ student is.

12. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

I was doing some research for something else, and on one of the websites of an individual I was looking up I came across his ad for the following:

-----------------------------------------------------
    You a Blackbelt
    This time next Year.

YOU CAN BE BY THIS TIME NEXT YEAR WITH THIS REMARKABLE TEACHING METHOD. Becoming a Blackbelt takes 3 to 6 years. What you may not realize, is that it doesn't have to take this long. You now have a unique opportunity to be taught Taekwon-do by Master B.Sahota VII Dan.

His students are former European Champions and World Medalists. A Professional, International Master Instructor and Examiner. Sahota has Combined his 38 years of training and Teaching Experience to pioneer a remarkable teaching method that allows you to Progresively train and earn your
    Black Belt in 18- 24 Months.

The Sahota Secret!
    The secret is in his unique technique and the Intensity of your training. You are Taken through, Step-by-Step with Master Sahota and his group of Instructors to quickly Achieve a high Standard.

FREE! Uniform & 1 MONTH FREE!

Enrol Today

-----------------------------------------#

Link : http://www.mastersahota.com/tkd/

For someone who has quite an impressive history as available on their website I was sad to see this kind of thing.......

Raz

13. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Note that they also have Judo programs where you can get you black belt in one year. From my understanding it is a very intensive program (basically you live Judo for a year). Intensity of the training does come into play. I know there is a lot I could learn and improve if I could do an intense program (IE train 4 hours a day 5 times a week for a year).

So it is hard to judge without knowing how intense the program is...

14. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Very valid point.
    Will dig some more :love:
    Raz

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

But also...Judo grading is based on performance (IIRC).
    There is some relatively theoretical elements (depending on association) but otherwise it's down to how well you handle yourself.
    TKD doesn't have that same competition base.

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Not any more as I understand it.

Mitch

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah I thought it was heading that way but they still have to throw people to the floor and score/win though don't they?

18. Mitch

I don't think there's ny requirement to compete, but I shouldn't speak for the judoka and I'm sure it will vary by association.

Mitch

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

No I don't think you ever really had to compete officially but judo gradings always used to be almost mini-interclubs didn't they?
    Where you had to win a majority of fights in a line-up?

20. Mitch

I think so. The intention now seems to be to avoid competition too soon, so students develop strong fundamentals rather than "muscling" techniques.

MItch