Parents juggling it all...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by justinksw, May 12, 2005.

1. justinksw

justinksw Valued Member

I'm wondering how many of you parents of young children out there manage juggling all of the different things going on in your lives, while still managing to go to practice each week.

Currently I am on 'break' from training simply because there isn't time for it. My kids come first for me, so if there is a schedule confilct then my schedule will give so I can make sure they get the most out of everything for their developing minds/bodies.

I have 3 kids ages 9, 6, and 19 months. Both of the older kids take Kuk Sool Won, while my daughter also has dance, and my son now has baseball. With my wife watching the baby, that leaves me to do all the running around.

Our dojang doesn't offer a 'family' practice because they just can't support it. I am dying to get back to practice but just can't find the time. :bang:

How do you all do it?? :confused:

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Basically I only do three things, work, class, and whatever my three boys are doing. Sometimes we get to class, sometimes we don't.

3. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

For me, family first, then martial arts comes in second.

There are 168 hours in the week
    I spend about 40 hours working and travelling to work
    I spend about 56 hours sleeping.

That leaves me with about 72 hours a week.
    Which lets me go to four classes a week (4*3 hours) taking 12 hours
    and train for an hour a day on the other days - 3 hours

That gives me 57 hours a week spare.
    If I look at that 57 hours there are plenty of non-essential activities like posting on internet forums that I can dispense with if I need to spend more time with my family.
    So my advice is..............

4. baubin2

baubin2 New Member

Poor justin. Next thing you know, you're kids will have a higher rank then you, and will be able to boss you around

"Do the dishes daughter."
    "No dad, you do the dishes."
    sigh.... "Yes ma'am."

Only kidding, or course :D just a funny thought I had at the St. Louis tournament watching all those little black belts running around.

On a more serious note, perhaps you could ask your instructors whether they would possibly let you help them teach in your kids' classes, as you seem to be at a farily advanced level. Or maybe you could just explain your situation and ask if you could train at the same time as your kids. Considering you guys don't have a family class, they might be understanding, at least to the point where they'll let you work out on your own during these times. Just a thought.

5. justinksw

justinksw Valued Member

Family comes first for me as well... although I don't have the same luxury of time as you do..... I guess it's a good thing I can post on internet forums when I'm at work heh? :woo:

I do help teach my son's class, which allows me the practice of lmy white belt forms and techniques, but I am on my own outside of those.

I have such an interest in being involved with my kids' activities so I make sure I get to those, unfortunately their schedule falls on my classes. So like I said, my schedule gives. I'm ok with that, don't misunderstand me, but I really miss practicing as much as I was just last year! I have the rest of my life to practice martial arts, my kids are only young once.

6. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

I am blessed to have a dojang with classes during the day. I try to slip out of work two or three times a week, especially when it's slow, and take a class while the kids are in school. (Mine are 11, 9, and 7). Also, I started helping teach two classes a week in the evenings. Those are the classes that two of my three kid take.

I agree with you on priorities. Life is all about choices. Right now I am red belt (red stripe, then the black belt test next), but I cannot attend the high belt preparatory classes, because they meet on dance class and scouting nights.

7. TXKukSoolBB

TXKukSoolBB Valued Member

It is very difficult. I have a 3 year old and a 20 month old. I teach one night a week and I have my BB class on another night. I try to make most Saturday classes too. My wife is able to watch them during those times. Where I get most of my training is each morning (with some exceptions) at 5:00am. I will workout...in my house from 5-6am. I may practice forms...newer techniques (no weapons), cardio training, and/or flexibility training. This keeps me from regressing too much. From 6-7am we get the kids up and everybody dressed. We are usually out of the house by 7:15. Also, my 3 year old generally will fall asleep around 8:30. I also sneek in some training then.

There is no doubt that family comes first...but you also need some time to take care of yourself too.

8. Kwajman

My oldest son is on an AAU basketball team (better than highschool). Those students usually go on to the college programs. That takes up an enormous amount of time. Luckily his mom takes him a lot of places since she doesn't work. But between basketball, soccer, swimming, art, and drama, theres sometimes not enough time to get my martial arts in at a regular class.

9. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

My hierarchy is God then family then martial arts then work then other things. I have a wife and three children. Sometimes I don't go to the dojo at all in a particular week because the kids need me or the wife needs me, or they all need me.

As a consequence I'm on a very slow path toward black belt in aikido. That is frustrating, but family is more important. I will always choose family over martial arts.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I only have one child. Three and a half months. But then graduate school at night. And until recently, full-time work during the day.

Now I'm a stay-at-home dad during the day and a grad student at night.

Oh, and an arnisador on the weekends.

Two words I guess: Compromise and prioritize. The practice is a priority for me. Mental and physical health and all that.

But honestly, if you've got three kids, I doubt I could tell you anything you don't already know.

Stuart

11. Kwajman

Thats what I've done Ap, prioritize. And don't apologize for doing so. Family comes before training. I don't have my sons full time so usually its not an issue, but it does come up when school intervenes.

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I hear ya. No question. Family comes first. The thing to remember (or remind a spouse of I suppose) is that ultimately, the family is also served by my continued well being, mental and physical. So while, obviously, their immediate needs take precedence, it's definitely important to make yourself a priority somewhere in there too.

As they like to point out in our counseling classes, you can't counsel someone else to live well if you're not living well yourself. Same goes for parenting I think.

Stuart

13. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

"Compromise and prioritize" The secret of happiness? Very difficul to let go of your dreams, isn't it? However - the kids will grow up - it'll get easier (I'm lying)