Paraplegic Tourist Attacked and Beaten

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by FYI, Mar 11, 2010.

1. FYI

FYI Valued Member

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

A sad story indeed FYI, but why is this any worse than an attack on an able bodied person, such as a pensioner, young lady or child for example, who also may not be in a position to defend themselves?

It makes for a good headline, but for me an unprovoked attack is is bad whoever the victim is.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  3. FYI

FYI Valued Member

It's not any worse. But it is important for people to realize that having a disability makes you a potential target. Once you realize you are a potential target, then you are more likely to do something about it. The elderly, young women, and children are also potential targets.

Healthy young men are also potential targets, but for different reasons.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Why is it important? The predator is looking for a sign of weakness. It is unlikely that in video clip you posted it would have made any difference if the victim had been a lone male.

It was very unfortunate, but I think it was a case of wrong place, wrong time.

Would the lone male or the disabled victim have been attacked if they were with another person?

No one would want to de disabled, but should that be the reason we are upset by the attack.

Lets say that on that day, two people were attacked in seperate incidents, both victims had the same injuries, but one was disabled. We all know what one would be reported in the press. So does that make the other crime any less harsh?

If it had been two women attacked in seperate incidents, but later it was found that one woman was pregnant, the press would have a field day.
    The news would be written to make you feel really bad about our crumbling society and drug fuelled hoodies roaming the streets.

This crime is disgusting, whoever the victim was.

5. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

It saddens me to see kids who are so warped. reminds me of one who told me that he stabbed a man who was standing in front of him at a football match..because he was blocking his view.

6. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

7. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

yea there are just some horrible people out there. No matter where it is or when there are always some people who will do horrible things like that when they think they can get away with it.

8. Otataral

Otataral Sapientes Gladio

It sickens me to think about what some people are capable of.

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I don't get sickened much anymore to be honest. Humans are animals... capable of both great good and great bad. It's as simple as that. Humans are totally capable of this and much worse. Don't turn your back on them. While you may surround yourself with nice people and people who you think have good moral fiber etc. it might not always be the case. Just important to bear in mind people are capable of this sort of thing.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  10. Otataral

That is very true. Heck lets just look at what happened during world war two. That is a perfect example to showcase just how evil humans can be. I suppose you are right. This really should not sicken me compared to our history.

11. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I don't even have to look at something as massive in scale as a world war. Just look at your local police blotter.

12. Otataral

I've got a police scanner on my phone. Usually its just minor stuff they broadcast. But i've listen to some police responding to some horrible things. There was this one where they tied a dog to the back of a car and drove off to see if the dog would keep it. Sadly it really did not end well.