Pankration

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Jim, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Jim

Jim New Member

Old Greek arena combat that is supposed to be the forerunner to modern western boxing.

We train in the more advanced forms of this in Kakuto Goshin Jutsu which consists mainly of breaks and dislocations. A very 'Yang' martial art and very effective but doesn't leave much room for friendly sparring or mercy.

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Cool, if I may spill my conversation with Andrew Green over into your humble thread Jim....

I remember reading somewhere that the load gloves were introduced by the romans who thought the greek style was weak because of their lack of it.

Thanx

3. Jim

Jim New Member

Yeah, that's true. But loaded gloves were slower.

The Greeks used to fight naked sometimes too and unarmed and experienced vs. armed and inexperienced.

4. Freeform

Did Greco-Roman wrestling stem from Pankration? That stuffs just vicious!

5. Jim

Jim New Member

No, different but at the same time period and there were probably fights between the two at some stage.

Gladiator was good with Russell Crowe, but I think it would've been more like in Conan the Barbarian with Arny more. Especially with the partial armour they wore.

From what I'd heard, Hercules was a Pankration but specifically not a Greco-Roman wrestler - which is strange given that he was most known for his strength and he probably would've made a great grappler.

6. Freeform

Well Pankration contains grappling, so why not strike as well? As far as I'm aware the lack of striking in Greco-Roman was the major difference.

Thanx

7. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

The Greeks Did
    Pankration
    Wrestling & Boxing.