Palm Strikes or Nah?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Pretty In Pink, Jul 30, 2018.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Sounds like maybe the line is blurring between strikes and pushes here? Have you tried grabbing the side of a pad after hitting it with a full-force palm strike?

I didn't explain myself well with the hinge thing - I was talking about different methods of generating power, not the grabbing action.

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm all the way in America, The Promised Land dangit! I cant be expected to leave paradise to travel great distances to the slums of the world!

Thomas likes this.
  3. David Harrison

Isn't it a weird world where you can't use the language of your president to describe other countries on a family friendly site... Well, you and the Philippines.

4. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

No but I’ve grabbed the jacket many times after full on strikes. It’s really not difficult as long as you don’t retract your hand and follow through, maybe we have crossed wires....

David Harrison likes this.
  5. David Harrison

Yeah, I can see the jacket grab, just not as convinced about the head grab, that's all.

6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I'm all for a swift palm/cupped slap as an alternative to a hook, I also used to drill with the forearm at slightly closer range.

That and a slightly upward palm to the rib/liver was a common one to drill, but for straights i would opt for fist strikes, i find it easier to twist through a partial guard with a fist with small or no gloves, a palm to the face/chin i feel would need a better setup, or bad guard.

Thomas and David Harrison like this.
  7. Ero-Sennin

I think it's a weird world where you can't make a light hearted joke in about as a non political thread as you can get just for somebody to bring up something surrounding politics :p

8. David Harrison

Hey buddy, you brought politics into this with your ironic nationalism! I was responding in a light-hearted way!

Dang millennial snowflakes... :p

Ero-Sennin likes this.
  9. Ero-Sennin

Just from this thread alone I've learned about 10 different ways to slap you. Don't make me come over there. :mad:

Alansmurf and David Harrison like this.
  10. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

In the Wing Chun Wooden Dummy form, there's a palm strike and a head grab in the very first section. As with all grabs, my sifu taught us not to depend on them working.

11. David Harrison

Yeah, but wooden dummies don't fly away from you when you hit them. That's my point.

12. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

I've never had to use this in real life, so I honestly don't know. I've been fortunate that the last time I was in a fight was nearly 30 years ago, and well before my Wing Chun training.

David Harrison likes this.
  13. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

video bellow - one tpye of hung ga palm strike . tiger palms are characterised by power generated by a linear push with arms shoulderrs back and legs. any hip power is co incidental to principle movment.

Note: the actual tigers are two brothers having a friendly squabble - no tigers were harmed in the making of the video

video bellow - several different applications of palm in hung ga - this includes a different palm - sometimes termed snake or cranes wing palm - often characterised by a fluid spiralling, coil /uncoil power generation.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  14. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

silat and kung fu same same but different - most of these techniques would fall under snake or crane palm techniques in kung fu. they demonstrate a key feature of snake/cranes wing palm strikes, relaxation in the hands aids relaxation in the arms and shoulders making it easier and quicker to flow into whipping attacks with spiralling power. note also how moving the arms in spirals tends to create trapping opportunties and openings for strikes and throws. these traps are done with a relaxed hand not a with a tense grip.

15. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

If we're talking palm specifically I will agree, but if we're talking open hand then a shuto (spelling?) style strike using the ridge of the palm will break through a gap in most guards fairly easily and can be quite disorientating and damaging if you hit the right place.

Also a palm strike can be angled differently to a punch (depending on whether you throw it straight forward Hadoken style of throw it as more of a slap).

David Harrison and Dunc like this.
  16. David Harrison

Yep, totally agree. :)

17. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I like palm strikes from handfighting, less so from range although JTs students can throw devastating open hand overhands.