palm heel strike

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by ade1971, Apr 9, 2015.

1. ade1971

ade1971 Valued Member

hello I been trying to practise my strikes mainly palm heel strikes in my ju jujitsu blue belt syllabus on the heavy bag .The problem is I cant seem to get it right I have also tried palm heel strike in the air but this isn't helping either as I train alone (or at least when I not in the dojo ) any suggestion

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

What isn't working about it? Is it a case of not generating power or are you being knocked back from the force of your hit? Is there pain?

I tend to start these by using a push first, i.e. starting with contact then ensuring that a student has the correct body alignment to allow the push to work. After that, a push without starting contact. Eventually building up to a full palm heel strike. The important thing is never to forget that you would have to be able to slow the strike down and push from wherever you are at any time. If you can't do that, something in your structure is wrong.

Without actually seeing what you are doing, it's hard to help more (plus I'm not the greatest striker in the land!)

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Do you have access to something like a BOB?

Where do you strike from? By that I mean what is your ready position or guard?

4. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Yeah dummies are best for these. Just to let you know those are not very "satisfying" strikes so don't freak if you feel like they're not very powerful.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

A leather football is very satisfying for this.