Pain in Hamstring at Ischium

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by MarioBro, Sep 23, 2005.

1. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

Ok, a pain originally originally started a while ago in my right leg in the upper inner thigh. I was stretching doing the splits when I felt a small popping in that area and then my inner thigh was sore for some time.

Well that pain eventually went away, but then as the first pain went away, I developed a pain on the left side, likely due to overcompensation for the first one. So now when stretch my left leg in the splits or axe kick or when I am using my left leg supportively when doing a right leg side or back kick, I have a fairly sharp pain in my left hamstring at the ischium (where the hamstring joins the butt bone basically). It is a fairly tender spot when using the massager, and sometimes just sitting on it....but the worst pain is when using it as the supporting leg as mentioned above.

Anyone ave any idea if this could in fact a pain withing the hamstring, or if it is a tendon or ligament or something else? Any ideas of how to promote good healing other than cold packs, stretching, etc?

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I'm sure you know... get to a physio therapist.

That you felt a 'small popping' in that area doesn't bode well. That the pain eventually went away is no surprise - but that doesn't neccessarily mean the injury is healed. You can still have a severe problem just not the pain that you initially had. Often after the pain has gone away from a ligament or tendon type injury there is a substantial weakness of that ligament or tendon if a fairly strict regimen of physio therapy isn't followed.

As for options for healing it... cold packs are generally something to stop swelling right after the injury. This is usually followed by a regimen of heat packs and massage. Tendons and ligaments take a long time to heal properly... last thing you want is for this to develop into a chronic injury that becomes a permanent weakness in the tendon or ligament.

You should go see the physio.

3. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

Well, the popping was in the right side which is fine now. There was never a popping in the left side, just the onset of pain out of nowhere (again, I think from over-compensating for the right side while it was sore). Now, it is not a constant excruciating pain, more so only if pressure is applied or if I stretch my leg to its limits or use it as a supporting leg..that is the worst stretch for me oddly enough.

I have been careful not to over-stretch it and have increased my warm up regimen to be sure my muscles are prepared for the stretching. It is not getting worse, but it is not getting much better it seems. And it feels that if I give it a couple of extra days to rest it then hurts more to work it the next time, as opposed to my regular days.

I guess the only way to really know what the injury is, as you say, is to go to physio...

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah man, that should send of some real red flags. When muscles and tendons or ligaments have to start compensating for one and other because of injury or impairment it's usually like a house of cards. You don't want to be there when one of them starts to come down because they all will. I guess the whole dominoe effect would be a very apt metaphor as well.

You may have to take a bit off of training... but it's easy time in comparison to living with a debilitating condition that could really stop you from training for a long time.

Get it checked out and let us know what happens. Good luck man and make it a priority to get it healed.

5. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Is it just me or is anyone else noticing that there are loads of these threads on this kind of thing. There are a million things the injurys could be or they could just be a twinge that means nothing. We are not doctors, and due to the complex nature of the body it would be extreemly difficult to assess via symptoms typed over the net.

The advice as always is go to a physio, chiro or doc.

6. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

not it definitely isnt just you, they are everywhere!!

exactly :D

7. SparcZ

SparcZ That's flexibility!

I'm pretty sure if you heard a pop it is a muscle tear and you better get it checked out.

Check this site out: Sprains & Strains