Pain in bottom of palm/base of thumb and index finger

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by meddlepf9, Feb 8, 2012.

1. meddlepf9

meddlepf9 New Member

A couple of weeks after getting my first punching bag, I started experiencing a pain (similar to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bennett's_fracture) in the bottom of my palm around the base of my thumb, and the base of my index finger. The base of my index finger only hurts when I apply pressure to the side of it, in-between it and my thumb. If I press hard enough, it hurts a lot. The base of my thumb and the bottom of my palm hurts whenever I pinch something with enough force, and whenever I punch the punching bag even with a light jab the pain extends to my wrist. My wrist also hurts when I make a very tight fist.

What could this be? Could I have a bennett's fracture in my thumb, and how long should I stop punching the bag? I'll only focus on improving my kicking until this is done with.

2. First post, no history, no back ground... what do you expect?
    A diagnostic? compassion? a free pass to go injure yourself more?

1- Go see a doctor.
    2- Don't press, don't pinch, don't jab & don't make a tight fist.
    3- It most certainly is a soft tissue injury, not a fracture... unfortunately, soft tissue injuries are b!tches to heal!

Don't take my word for it, see (1)!

Osu!

3. meddlepf9

meddlepf9 New Member

I know you said go see a doctor, but I can't because my parents are way too busy to be scheduling doctor's appointments right now, why are soft tissue injuries hard to heal and how long should it take?

4. A bone is either broken or it is not... If it is broken, then when it is healed you are done with this injury.

A soft tissue injury has a wide range of grey... when is it healed? When it stops hurting? When it is back to original manufacturer's specs? When you have prehabbed it to be able to train on it? How do you know you can?
    If it is healed, that does not mean you can train on it, you might need some (a lot) of prehab work to make it able to withstand training.

Stop making excuses & go see a Doctor.

OSu!

5. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Actually you have a few choices.. the bone is broken, cracked, bruised or there are soft tissue injuries. Old_Kyokushin is right... go see a doc and see if they will check thoroughly... you could have a fracture of one of your carpals (scaphoid is a common one in that area) but you could just have easily just sprained your carpo-metacarpal joint at the base of the thumb. He is also right it is usually normally healed or not although the pain may not behave that simply. Sometimes you have sensitivity in the area for a long time once an injury has healed that has more to do with how the tissues have healed than whether there is still any damage. Normally small fractures heal in 4--6 weeks if you don't do anything else to hurt the area.

Simple common sense says get it examined and diagnosed then you can get on with doing things knowing what the correct course of action is to take. Listen to us old guys.. had lots of injuries and still training means we have a bit of sense as to what's the best thing to do. (and did I mention I treat these sort of injuries for a living :' )

FWIW

LFD

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012