Padwork

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Freeform, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Whats your favorite padwork drills and have you got any pointers. I like starting off with jabs and crosses, then mix in a few hooks and uppercuts.

Do you prefer to do set drills/combinations, or freestyle it, with the padman throwing up targets.

Thanx

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Come on! I know your out there! Yoda, Andy, I know you guys do stuff like this! Come on!

3. CyCloNe

CyCloNe New Member

Thought I'd offer my 10 pence worth....

We do a lot of handwork in kickboxing, a lot more than I am used to. Its suprising how tiring padwork can be when using fast punch combos.

One of my faves is the old left jab, right cross, duck under, right rising uppercut.

Not only does it help hone the punches, footwork and of course balance, but the squatting and rolling to avoid the pad being swung really helps strengthen the legs.

Another fave is what we call the mad flurry. Your partner has a focus pad on each hand and flails into you (Barfight Styleeee) and it is simply your job to evade, roll and duck in an attempt not to take too much punishment. At the key moment, your partner provides both pads at varying heights / ranges and you strike what you can, where you can. This helps with not only the quick striking and accuracy, but more importantly, it helps the avoidance and if your not quick enough, even the testing of your high close guard LOL!

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

5. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

Jab, Cross, hook. Or backfist, hook, uppercut...

Those are my two favorite pad combinations:)

6. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Here's one for you FF,

Try doing 40 chain punches (jabcross if you must) as fast as you can, immediately dropping to a medium rep set of pushups (say 20. Get straight back up and repeat the combo etc. Try to do four or five alternate sets. Your arms will turn to jelly, but boy does it bring on hand speed!

N'Joy :)