Pa Kua Broadsword

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Yojimbo, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo New Member

Has anyone ever used a pa kua broadsword? this has to be the coolest broadsword ive ever seen.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2003
  2. khafra

khafra New Member

Pa Kua weapons are known for being very heavy--I'm sure I'd lose anatomical components I'd miss later if I tried using that.

But yes, it does look cool.

3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo New Member

the website says the sword is only 17.5"blade-25"overall thats pretty small for a sword, it doesnt say anything about weight my normal broadsword is 31" i think and it doesnt weigh that much. so the pa kua broadsword cant weigh much morefor its size.

4. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

-depends on how thick it is and how well it is balanced. Balance of a blade have just as much to say as weight, as I'm sure you know since you allready own another sword

Last edited: Dec 12, 2003
  5. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

that looks like a nasty brush cutter. Much nicer than my machete.

The blade could be thicker than other swords and have a much more forward place CoB so taht it feels heavier. But that would make it easier to use as cleaver if it is as short as it seems.

6. shunyadragon

shunyadragon New Member

I don't think broad sword is a good word to use for this sword. A better word is the Dao. A single edged Chinese sword like a sabre.

The Da dao is a pike weapon with a heavy sabre blade.

7. Zhong Kuei

Zhong Kuei Valued Member

Sorry bussy, but that isn't a Bagua dao. I've seen blades like that before, they are just nasty looking tourists traps, as it were. a Bagua dao is basically a regular dao except for the fact tha it is much longer and two handed. Usually they have an extra 20" over a normal dao. Big n' meaty, just the way I like it.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2004
  8. MiyamotoMusashi

MiyamotoMusashi Valued Member

Sorry to change the topic, but i tought Bau Gua was a MA designed to defend against multiple attackers? How are you going to do that with a sword that big?

9. Zhong Kuei

Zhong Kuei Valued Member

Weeell, not really, Bagua is more spirtual and internal than most arts, haveing close ties with Qigong. Technically all arts aim to take on more than one person at a time, otherwise in real situations, the exponent in point would either have to make all his opponents line up single file, or get cheesed (Its like getting creamed but takes longer.).

10. MiyamotoMusashi

MiyamotoMusashi Valued Member

Well, i ask because I have a book on it that says it was specifically developed to be used against multiple apponents. Apparently many of the tech involve circling to the back of the oppontent?

11. Zhong Kuei

Zhong Kuei Valued Member

That staement is slightly redundant, although it could be stated, because about 85% of movements in Bagua involve circles