Ownership of a technique.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This came about from a reply in another thread.

My arguement is, who cares and does this really matter?

The arguement is not just related to WC, but all arts. It just seems to me that as soon as someone devaites from a core syllabus they are excluded from being accepted by exponents of that style.

I cannot see why someone has to take ownership of a technique.
    Sure styles have a syllabus and a core belief, but those who stick rigidly to that belief are losing out on variations and a better understanding, both of themselves and their martial ability. The idea is my students should be better than me, their students better than them and so on. This comes through exploration and often deviation from my own core beliefs.

I may not like what they are doing (speaking of technique), but if they are making it work and can add it to the arsenal I have given them, then that is an improvement on my art, isnt it?

My belief may be clouded becuase of my JKD background. I was encouraged to look at other arts.

I don't say that arts should constantly change their syllabus, otherwise they would all end us being the same. I do think though that people should open their eyes and stop being dismisive in regard to an adapted technique not being WC or other art.

The fact that my trapping hands technique is followed by a knee, elbow and headbutt, does not make it any less WC.

2. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Does it matter as far as fighting, no. Does it matter as far as training yes. There comes a point where something has deviated so sharply from the core principles of an art that it merits categorical disinclusion in that art. If I start adding muay Thai kicks to judo it's still not judo.

While the knee and headbutt may not be wing chun techniques per se they are within the same range and can be done within the principles of the art. So even though they are not wing chun they can be used in a wing chun manner. A spinning kick to the head however can never be part of wing chun.

As for it being an improvement of your art, yes. YOUR art. Your personal art. It is anaddition to your fighting skill. That's the idea of JKD and MMA but even if I start teaching my students jujitsu in with the wing chun it doen't make it wing chun. If integrated it would make it an entirely different system even if it's following the wing chun principles. If taught separately then it's still jujitsu.

That said alter the structural basis of an art in terms of principles, power generation, basic structures, stance, footwork, proper ranges, and what do you have left of the art? Not much if anything.

This is the difference between variation, which is a minor difference, and deviation which is making changes to the very foundation of the art.

If it works add it to your skillset but don't try to claim that a spinning heel kick is wing chun, or judo, or wrestling. There are distinctions for a reason.

3. Simon

Thanks Sketco, but I should make myself a little clearer. It is not the spinning kick or headbutt, but the trapping hands element (in this situation) I am on about.
    It may not look like traditional Wing Chun, but its root lie in WC and it is a WC technique. The fact that someone like Alan Ore, or myself, use it is a different manner does not exlude it from being WC.

I see a lot of this in the Ninjutsu forum.

A student had not trained under B instructor. He has not been to Japan, so it is not true Ninjutsu and so on. I think all of this is nonsense.

I would also argue that a new student trying a technique would look as different to the instructor as someone like a JKD practitioner who has adapted the technique for his own needs. The new student is still doing the core art. It is still WC or Ninjutsu.

I have noticed during JWT's Sim Days that the lines between arts is blurred.
    You can see who is the MMA/BJJ guy who pefers a takedown, you can see I for example prefer the knees and elbows approach, but you could not tell which style of each art someone came from. There is little in the way of knowing what is a Karate punch and what is a Kung Fu punch.

I'm sure if we trained individually with each practitioner we would see the difference, both in terms of technique and application, but in the heat of the matter it is not so clear.

Maybe that is because we don't have karate guys defending thenselves against Karate guys. We (JWT) has karate guys defending thenselves against all different styles.

Like I said, Idon't advocate arts changing their syllabus, but we should realise there is a lot more crossover between the arts than you may realise.

In the end there is no style, just opinion. We train in an art that is someones opinion of how a technique should be done.

No-on owns a technique, there are no new techniques, just different applications.

How many times have you "invented" a technique, only to see or hear of it being done by someone in a different art? I would suggest it is often.

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I'd have to agree Simon. Aside from those who train strictly to keep the historical aspects alive I see no reason why martial artists shouldn't constantly improve and adapt their own personal style based off of the doctrine of their art. I personally think this elitist style of thinking tends to dwell only in mindsets that do not routinely pressure test their training. If you're pressure testing and something works for you it can't be considered "wrong". How can it be wrong if it just worked for you?

5. Simon

I think, and have seen in JWT's Sim days, guys who suddenly adapt their core art to deal with the added pressure of a real attack. It may not be a recognisable technique from their own art (karate as an example), but it is still a karate technique, becuase that may be the only art they have ever trainined in.
    With this in mind I cannot see how someone can say, "that is not a Karate technique".

The flip side to this arguement is that it is just a technique, not a Karate technique. This is where the lines between arts get blurred.

6. Simon

I should add that the above posts may appear critical of Sketco and his arguement. This is not the case, that was just used to introduce the thread.

7. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

My point was that it must follow the principles or the art in question. Orr's stuff does not.

For example his basic structres are wrong and if he weren't quite so muscled they'd never support any kind of force. He's using muscle instead of structure.
    Or his chi Sao. He does it at a range where you can already hit and be hit. The point of chi sao is dealing with distance and angle to find a way to enter to that point in a structurally dominant position and should also be done while moving not standing still. Being in range to hit already removes any value from doing chi sao. It's an unfortunate but commonly seen mistake.

Other trapping stuff he does he takes more steps to do things than necessary. The idea for wing chun is to control. Just like grappling is position before submission wing chun is position before strike. There are many times where he just strikes without controlling his opponent by trapping or use of distance. Agains just firing off from static chi sao at the wrong distance is fruitless training.
    Or where I've seen him knock the opponent's arm aside and lose contact altogether and strike back with the same hand. He breaks contact and does in two moves what could be done in one. With wing chun the idea is using one hand to control their two hands or using two hands to control their one. He doesn't get this.

Add to that his stance which creates issues with the wing chun kicking which I won't go into detail on.

Like I said if it works for him great but he's not following the principles of wing chun. Just because some of the techniques look the same n the outside doesn't mean they are. If you do pak da with a one-two timing instead of doing the pak and strike together it is no longer pak da.

8. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Hey fine with me. I wouldn't mind even if it was. MAP's been a little dead so I may even play devil's advocate here on a few points I might not agree with if only for some stimulating discussion.

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

How can we be sure ANYTHING that we're studying today is strictly from our own chosen system?

It can't just be the same technique but with broken timing? What if you are attempting to do the technique but at the last second you realize your strike won't be as effective than if you wait a heartbeat later then strike so it becomes effective? Is it really no longer the same technique even though that was your original intention? Why can there not be variations of established techniques?

10. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

there are only so many ways to re invent the wheel .....and it will always be a wheel ....

different names different entries different emphasis

Thats what makes Martial Arts so damn interesting and addictive....

Sharing idea;s and techniques does work and can only enhance ones skills

Keep on rolling that wheel

Smurf

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The traditional approach to this would be
    I do technique X
    I do Wing Chun
    Therefore technique X is Wing Chun
    This massive technocentricity is NOT traditional in any way, and is a post 1950 phenomenon in CMA.

12. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Because then it's a pak sau and strike instead of pak da. Now you're right in that it's fine to do that in a non-ideal situation and it's still a valid wing chun technique, though not ideal. My point was when you change certain bits of things they are no longer that technique or that structure. It had nothing to do with that technique specifically. There is pak da, and pak sau with a strike following. There is no "kind of pak sau." So yes it is a different technique.
    Just like grabbing and pulling toward you is not and will never be lap sau.

And some techniques you cannot do differently without violating the principles and having it be not wing chun. Kicking high would be an example of that. It's not wing chun and cannot be. It's a valid fighting technique but not a wing chun technique.

For example there is a specific angle for bong sau. There is bong sau and not bong sau. If the structure is wrong the arm cannot hold a force without resorting to excessive muscle power.

13. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

An example from aikido would be that if done with the principles of aikido a hook can be an aikido technique, but just hitting someone will never be aikido.

14. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I don't think that's a very good analogy. Morihei Ueshiba (the founder of Aikido) was once quoted as saying in a real fight atemi (striking) is 70% and technique is 30%. Often by striking someone you can upset their balance thus making it much easier to use said joint locks/throws/etc.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

All well and good in theory but realistically if you only have WC training and manage to defend yourself with WC training does it really matter if what you used is textbook WC? Of course not.

16. Simon

This is part of my arguement about the ownership of a technique. It seems you want to give a move a name and patent it. If i do something similar, but my arm is 10 degrees different to yours, then it is not Wing Chun, can't be called Wing Chun, when to me it is quite plainly born of the same movement.

Yes some moves have to be exact to work, Tai Chi is a perfect example, but for Bong sau, why does it have to be strictly WC?

I use the move myself. I have never been trained by a WC master, but to me it is a Bong sau just the same. It serves a purpose just the same.

If you're grading I can see the reason for being exact, but ultimately it is about functionality and we all know technique to some degree goes out the window when under pressure.
    If your Bong Sau crisp and perfect under pressure? if not do you have to stop calling it a Bong Sau.
    Maybe under pressure the technique looks like something you would witness in a JWT Sim day video.
    Do the practitioners in those videos have to give up their Karate or MMA badge when they walk through the door, just in case their technique goes out the window?

It is a technique, not your (our) technique(s).

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Dogmatists will always insist on a certain "way" - and as a way of looking after museum pieces that is fine.

But if the end goal is the efficacy of the technique then clinging rigidly to such definitions is patently absurd. One of the reasons an art such as Wing Chun has such a patchy reputation is this dogmatic "rote" style learning and repetition. Too many try and force the situation to their style rather than their style to the situation. This kind of thinking is counterintuitive to growth and development of us as fighters and as martial artists.

Taking the pak sao as an example, what is it for? Slapping the hand out of the way so you can hit someone! Saying it has to be done "X" fashion to be considered "proper" is wrong - it is the mindset of the beginner clinging to the direction of the instructor without looking at the ethos behind it.

Timing the pak sao can be before, during or after - each requiring a subtle shift in the mechanics - so which is right? All of them of course, thy each fit their purpose.

I see pak sao variants in FMA, boxing and ju Jitsu - the principle is far more important than any nonsense conception of "purity". Do you really think Ng Mui did things the same as WC guys today? Hell, BOXERS don't even fight the same way they used to in the last 70 years or so and they only have a handful of techniques

No art owns a technique - at best each art has its own flavor, but the ingredients remain constant

18. Hannibal

I doubt you ever see ANY art looking textbook perfect in a ruck - its folly to believe otherwise and may actually get you beat

19. Simon

Well put Hannibal.

20. Hannibal

Jet Lag obviously not as bad as I thought!