Overtraining

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by BigRed389, Apr 26, 2006.

1. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

I've heard of what overtraining will do and what not, but what is a good way to identify progressing towards overtraining and preventing it?

For example, I've started to ramp up my training a little bit.

Before:
    3x/week of 1.5mile runs at warm up pace to prepare for roughly 40 minutes of bodyweight HIIT.
    This was leaving me feeling WAY too blasted for anything else during the week...I mean the next day I'd get tired going up stairs. So that basically left out martial arts technique training.

For variety I've changed things up and am going with this "after" plan:
    3x/week ~2hr Muay Thai/Thai Boxing classes...I'm pretty blasted after this but I'm pretty good to go the next day, not near as bad as the HIIT stuff.
    On the days in between MT classes, I throw in some running, about 3 miles worth total of intervals, like 1 mile, 1 mile, 1/2 mile, 1/4 mile, 1/4 mile, progressive going faster and faster.

Am I killing myself? I've done this for about 2 weeks now and so far nothing so out of the ordinary i can't attribute it to just changing up the workout system and intensity. What should I watch out for?

Much thanks, i know I ask a fair bit of questions but I usually get some pretty good advice. :D

2. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion Valued Member

Doesnt seem too bad to me, but overtraining depends largely on the person, you need to know what your body will/wont take. Just keep at it, if your training starts to interfere with your life (ie. falling asleep at school or work) then you can taper off.

Edit: on second thoughts, seems like to much cardio (your MT classes should be enough, but that differs from gym to gym), imo youd benefit more by implementing some strength training.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  3. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Its scary falling to sleep at school.

I would personally prefer the before training. I know what its like strugling up the stairs. Im thinking i exercise hard this should be easy i should walk up the stairs like a gazelle, DOMs eugh.

4. sean

sean THOR!

Personality change is a big indicator. You'll become aggrivated more easily, get frustrated ect. for days at a time.

Feeling tired and/or sleepy during the day is not a necessarily a sign of overtraining. I often feel tired at college if I have worked hard at the gym the day before.

If you feel ok, then keep going. If you feel super fatigue in yourself then have a rest day.

5. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

Sounds good.

I'm actually NOT tired...if anything I think I need to burn off MORE energy.

My MT classes go for ~2 hours starting at 8PM...afterwards I get a HUGE adrenaline dump or something because I can't go to sleep for hours afterwards. Next class I'm planning on evaluating myself after the class...if I can still jog a decent distance, then I'm going to bust out sprints until I die. Then I'll go home and pass out to wake up fresh in the morning.

6. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

See if your RHR (resting heart rate) stays the same in the mornings or changes.

Besides all what was listed, you should know/feel if you are nearing the overtraining phase. Increase your activitly slightly each week to push your work capacity up.