Over rated Bruce Lee

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by DeLamar.J, Feb 14, 2003.

1. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

Ever tried sparring a bear?

2. medi

"Only" focusing on using the knife is scarcely a "disadvantage". I'd still rather face an unarmed attacker than one "focusing on his knife". To think otherwise is insane or simply ignorant of knife mechanics.

And in any case, walking into a fight assuming a knife attacker isn't going to use other parts of his body is just as insane.

EDIT: And uhhh, your "big picture" interpretation was exactly the same as mine... in fact, a literal interpretation of what he wrote.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2006
  3. Beltless

Beltless Banned Banned

It's so difficult for your side of the argument because my cookie theory flaws all others!

4. Beltless

Beltless Banned Banned

What kind of question is this?

Ever tried sparring a Great white shark?

Ha, I win!

5. medi

You're the one who said MMA fighters sparred like bears in a cage.

6. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Ohhh.... da mean man made fun of my photo. Boo Hoo. :rolleyes: stfd and stfu. it's jackasses like the people in this thread that give CMAers a bad name with their damned "Bruce Lee was the roxxor" crap. Some of the mythology about "the late great BL" is bigger fantasy than anything E Gary Gygax could come up with!

Look at the post under yours. "Bruce Lee would dominate UFC, K-1, and Pride"?!? Based on what?!? His movie fu and annoying "kiai"s?!? "Bruce Lee was a brilliant philosopher"? Go read the "Tao" for God's sake, half his philosophy is taken from that and other traditional Chinese writing.

Get over your bad selves, already. At least I keep my fantasy life out of the Courtroom and out of my MA. Seems to me some of you are the perfect definintion of "MA LARPers"...

EDIT: (a) that pic was 25 pounds ago. (b) I got thinner while you obviously got dumber. (c) You need to spend less time watching bad Bruce Lee movies and more time training.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2006
  7. DouglasLam

DouglasLam Valued Member

Nope, it is not. You still cannot see its disadvantage.

8. medi

Yes it is. You restated exactly what he wrote.

I understand perfectly what he means by it being a disadvantage, it's simply wrong. Firstly because it cannot be assumed that the attacker will only be focused on the knife. Secondly because even if he is so focused, he still has a tactical advantage.

If you don't believe it, trying sparring someone with a training knife, and limit them to only using the blade. They'll still win.

9. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Medi has stabbed the correct on this one - even if the guy IS only concentrating on using the knife, if he's got a knife it doesn't matter if the other guy's the genetically cloned offshoot of Bruce Lee, Rickson Gracie, Mike Tyson and Chuck Norris (OK, maybe not Norris cos he's invincible) - if the dude has a knife, most of the time, my money's on him

10. Captain Karate

Captain Karate New Member

All hail the knife god!