Over rated Bruce Lee

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by DeLamar.J, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Oh, God, please, make it stop!

Until we start taping muggings, it's the best we have, so enough, ok?

2. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

yea those ufc guys are a bunch of pussy cats.

http://www.knucklepit.com/_tufc48_shamrock_vs_kimo-1.jpg

http://www.ufcfightnews.com/2006/ufc57/images/853_5390.jpg

3. Beltless

Beltless Banned Banned

Hasn't anyone realised how sluggish, uneven and rigid these MMA guys are or am I just delirious. I could swear they kick like $hit. And that they punch like drunk punters. Every now and again some are quite good, but the majority seem to have no fundamentals or history in traditional MA, and if they actually do then it doesn't show in their technique. Meh, because of the rules in the sport all they really train is 20% stand-up and 80% grappling from the looks of it. So can't blame them. But that's why I prefer just ordinary boxing because they move alot more, hit alot faster, and they're allowed to bite the ear... no wait...

4. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

OK, this is really simple, believe it or not.

Bruce Lee made movies, has no verifiable fight record, didn't seem to want to be a fighter, and popularized Chinese philosophy and tried to make it accessible to the masses.

Modern MMA fighters train to fight, and many are admittedly less interested in philosophy than Bruce, although no one here can deny the fact that they actually apply what they know in a verifiable and public manner.

It's two different types of martial artists, guy. Apples and oranges.

I swear, am I going to have to start bitchsmacking you people?!?!

GET A CLUE, ALREADY!

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hey Beltless,

Just wanted to let you know that I just got your postcard from 1995. Thanks for thinking of me!

Stuart

6. wild_pitch

OH SNAP!

=)

7. Beltless

Beltless Banned Banned

Im pretty certain Bruce Lee was primarily concerned with being a fighter. And MMA guys train to "fight"?(I think you mean spar like bears in a freaking cage). And have you ever compared the two different types of martial art for yourself physically? MMA guys are tough cookies, no doubt, but Bruce Lee eats cookies for breakfast, remember that.

8. wild_pitch

this post is priceless.

beltless.. never change!

9. DouglasLam

DouglasLam Valued Member

He might just be still around. ;)

I am sure you are aware, right?

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

He might. But I've been here pretty much daily for the past... 4 years? And I haven't seen him. :)

11. DouglasLam

DouglasLam Valued Member

I guess you are now saying the various recognised and respected figures in the industry had over-rated him.

Well, they did not pick you to vote, yeah? :D

Well, over-rated or not, does it really matter? Ask around, who do not know Bruce Lee? Ask around, how many look up to him and are better people?

Imagine how many people are better due to a man known as Bruce Lee, someone whom they have never met.

Now tell me, which other MAist has such a GLOBAL influence?

It is more than just his MA skill. Really. :)

12. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

OK, he's dead, there's no way to compare. End of story, why is this so difficult?!? :bang:

13. DouglasLam

DouglasLam Valued Member

I am sure you have not.

After 4 years, I am sure you should be aware of people who will bother to set up new account?

Anyway, my answer is for those who think alike him-- this "missing for 3 years" person.

I am sure you are also aware that they (people like him) still exist? In particular, the Internet.

More than 30 years later, people claimed Bruce Lee was over-rated. See?

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Okay, okay. You win. I submit! :)

15. DouglasLam

DouglasLam Valued Member

Is there a prize? :p

I apologise if I sounded "challanging you". I am not.

Nobody's winning or losing. I think....perhaps only those people who are simply "sourgraped" will lose out by not learning more from winners.

16. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

Keeping it alive.... :)

I often wonder what would Bruce think of today's martial artists. His philosophy of incorporating elements from other styles and using what works sure seemed to be way ahead of its time back then.

If you read his books, Bruce believed in ending fights quickly. He recognized the strengths and weaknesses in Wing Chun, and added more to his toolkit each day. In some respects, I think he would have been pleased to see so much cross training today.

I also think a part of him would be disappointed in today's MAs. I would find it hard to believe that he would have approved of going toe to toe exchanging blows round after round.

When the UFC first broadcast, I watched the first few times, and every now and then I'll catch a match, but it's clear to anyone that gives it a bit of thought that its approach favors certain styles.

For starters, it's very structured and regimented, though many may not think so.

It's a 1x1 situation, not 2 or more on 1, and I've not read up on the rules, but I haven't seen any serious biting, eye gouging, shots to the groin (I assume those guys are wearing protectors anyway), blows to the throat, weapons or make shift weapons, etc.

The ring seems nice. No concrete to worry about, medical care nearby, pauses between rounds, barefoot as opposed to any steel toed boots, comfortable fight clothes, nice temperate climate, no rain, snow, ice, sleet, 120 degree heat. Did I mention some excellent lighting?

You know who you're going to fight and when, and train specifically for that opponent with some nice warm up and stretching before the fight, etc.

That's quite different than an unexpected street fight where there are no pauses, lots of makeshift weapons laying around, on concrete, often at night in less than ideal lighting environments, many of which end up in brawls with multiple opponents, restricted space (if indoors ie. bar), or if outdoors subject to environmentals.

You don't get a chance to stretch or change into shorts or sweats for those nice head kicks, besides you may be on a freshly laid sheet of ice on a sidewalk so I wouldn't recommend getting too fancy.

I had a friend that was quite the martial artist, undefeated competitor with dozens of trophys (over 15yrs of training in various styles, 2 BBs), he was also an armed correctional officer in rikers island, NY, in the daytime, and a bouncer at night. He enjoyed playing hockey and beating the crap out of people while on ice skates.

I personally witness him disarm 3 large guys with weapons (bat, knife and chains) one evening while he was doing the bouncer gig. One guy got away, the ambulance picked up the other two.

So where is he today? 6 feet under. He died during a street fight. At 6'1" and 215 of pure muscle, there were few that could take him. Yet, one evening, two little scrawny drug addicts tried sneaking into the theater where his brother worked as an usher (I worked there as an usher myself). The bar he was a bouncer at was across the street, so he saw the commotion as we threw the two scrawny guys out of the theater. They promised to come back and they did that night.

I was at the bar across the street as my shift had ended and John (not his real name) went to the theater (to make sure his brother, who was no slouch, didn't get hurt).

I didn't bother getting up since I've seen many times what John could do. I heard the commotion begin outside and less than 30 seconds later, blood curling screams and people covered in blood rushing to the bar to call 911.

I thought John had killed one of those dudes, but it was John who died. The taller scrawny guy came at John with a stick, John picked up a garbage can lid and nailed him a couple of times - he took off running down the block.

His friend had a bat, John disarmed him and took him to the ground pinning the small guy's left arm with his right knee and quickly pummeling him in a bloody pulp. The small guy seemed to be passed out and John was about to get up, when the small guy pulled a knife out of his right boot and drove it into John's neck. He was dead in seconds.

Both were apprehended as they sought medical care for their injuries, and they ended up serving time in riker's island.

So next time you see a UFC fight, just for fun, see how many variables you can identify between what you're watching and a street fight. Here's a hint, there are more than the ones I've already mentioned.

I think Bruce had the right approach.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  17. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat. "
    - Theodore Roosevelt

18. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

That's a nice sports-like motivational quote for scheduled fighting, 'arenas', 'triumph', 'achievement', but on the streets of NYC you really aren't very concerned with 'victory' or 'defeat' - you're more concerned with survival vs. death. That's how many encounters end up.

How about those critics who have been in the arena? They don't count?

19. Sever

Sever Valued Member

You owe me a new ribcage

20. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

From Bruce Lee's notes as printed in "Bruce Lee: Jeet Kune Do":

Sorry Bruce, but you're talking utter crap.