Outside influence

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by bujingodai, Jul 17, 2013.

1. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

Do you practice anything of an outside influence at all in your dojo outside of taijutsu.
    IE, maybe you have a boxer in your class. You happen to see something of value and give it some time as it may in itself compliment the learning. Not to augment a system, not to add to it. Just to add to class.

I do see some schools that do a split style teaching.

2. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Outside influence is really important I feel and entirely in tune with our approach

There is huge value in experiencing other styles technique, learning how it works, their timing core techniques etc
    I've found that doing this has opened my eyes (practically speaking) to many core elements of our art

This is a different thing from piecing together your own art from many sources

3. bujingodai

I agree with that. Not to develop an art, but to practise against another.

4. mattt

mattt Valued Member

That doesn't quite gel with the OP. If you want to test it properly you might want to not do so in the regular class as your teacher role and class structure will frame the lesson artificially. If you see value and want to test it in cross training you need to go to them.

5. bujingodai

Exactly, I happen to be lucky to have an experienced boxer in my class. Hence my point. I wouldn't train against something, or cross to it to experience it without someone of that style that would have some authority on the matter.

6. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I guess I wasn't clear - we both agree that making up fake boxing is daft, but further to that I am saying that even if you have an experienced boxer in your class, the fact that psychologically you are seen as teacher and he as student, creates a false environment for the training to be most beneficial.

I'm of the school of thought that if you want to be good against a boxer you train in boxing to the point where you are good, then you should have a decent understanding of the limitations of your ninja skills.

7. bujingodai

Point taken

8. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Or you arrange something with an outside boxer.
    A student has a very high boundary to overcome before beating the crap out of his sensei. Especially in class.

9. bujingodai

That is a pretty good point there. He's been with me for 5 years and still very apologetic if he pops me in the mouth while training. I thank him personally it just shows that I wasn't paying enough attention.

That being said, it is more casual than that. I'm not looking to re invent the wheel or find out how to overcome everyone, more have those in the dojo with a certain talent bring something to the table. I have a student who was a long time Shotokan student, we've worked together to improve my kicks. Nothing wrong with improving other elements.

10. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Yep, that's my point.

11. bujingodai

Well can't blame a guy for tryin

12. mattt

mattt Valued Member

It's a nice idea, just suggesting it had limits. Can take the idea and train externally if you really want to.