ouch!!!

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by mekosho, Jul 15, 2004.

1. mekosho

mekosho New Member

Last night we started the first of four lines in a Chinese set called "long fist" anyone familiar with it? I think every bone and muscle in my body was used in those movements...very interesting stuff.

2. Hui Lai

Hui Lai In the end, just pretend

dude, long fist is sweet! I do some, but that stuff is pretty hard. Some Wu Shu is based on that too. So you do "Shaolin"? That makes sense. Explain a bit what your training is like?! (If you don't mind) Did you do jump front kicks and slap kicks etc? Just curious.

--Hui

3. mekosho

mekosho New Member

lol actually I study Kosho Ryu Kempo, but we also learn Juijutsu and Kung Fu as well...we did do slap kicks if that is what they are called, where as we raised leg into a kick we slapped the kicking foot or leg with the hand...no jumping kicks yet, as I said we are only on the first bit of the set, will learn more over next couple of weeks...

4. Hui Lai

Hui Lai In the end, just pretend

Yeah those are slap kicks. Wow, how does it feel to do such a different style? That seems to be a bit crazy to me.

5. mekosho

mekosho New Member

I love it, I mean, why limit yourself to just one style or art? Anyways, our Kosho has very deep Chinese roots so there actualy are some similarities although they are minimal...but noticible nonetheless!

6. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

There are quite a few variations of Longfist, for example the one I practice uses a pretty good mix of hand, foot and throwing/sweeping techniques. The first forms seem very hand oriented, then it moves to locking/throwing/sweeping while most of the leaping and kicking is contained in the last (and most advanced) forms (with good reason).

It sounds like you are doing the preliminary exercises, the stretch kicks. I still feel it in the hamstrings days after the kicking drills, and your right, ouch!

For the Bejing wushu team one of the prerequisit skills to get on the team is to be able to put chalk on your big toe, stand arms straight out, back straight, knees locked and kick and leave a chalk mark on your forehead. The funny thing is that many of the exercises involve these high kicks and stretches but they aren't seen in the form, they actually prepare you for other movements that are used.

Chinese forms will often start with a salutation of some type that can help you figure out the lineage (they also may contain a core techniques).